SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

are you guys aware of the need to replace your ECU capacitors?

Old 12-20-10, 04:15 PM
BartleDoo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine definitely failed due to capacitors, and I know others that it has happened to. I think it is definitely a problem for the 92-94 400 ECU's. Over 15 years isn't so bad, but if they were all rated for 25 years then something isn't right.
Old 12-20-10, 04:20 PM
BartleDoo
Lexus Test Driver

In regards to it drying out from under-use, that could be the case for me as my car only has 120k miles (as far as I know) which is not a lot for a 1993 car. So, at one point or another, it could have sat dormant for a while. In fact, I bought it from a used car lot and the ECU died that day!
Old 12-20-10, 06:09 PM
SW2UZ
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nivek5sfe
is it putting out any kind of smoke?
none that I can see
Old 12-20-10, 07:22 PM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BartleDoo
In regards to it drying out from under-use, that could be the case for me as my car only has 120k miles (as far as I know) which is not a lot for a 1993 car. So, at one point or another, it could have sat dormant for a while. In fact, I bought it from a used car lot and the ECU died that day!
Quite literally... Stock SC... drove it around.. bought it... drove it some more.. parked it.. and literally died the next start up (5-10 min later). Stock car...
Old 12-20-10, 07:32 PM
nine3es
Lead Lap

mine went out in my 93 ES, idk if they just used cheap caps in those years or what but the caps were clearly leaking/bad and my car is stock.
Old 12-21-10, 03:20 PM
iridebmx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

OK, I just received my rebuild ECU back from Lexus and WOW!

I was getting 4 CEL readings before but they are all gone now and surprisingly the most aggravating ones, the knock sensors and a/f.

my car wasn't starting in cold weather and i plugged my ecu back up and it started immediately without a crank!!!
Old 12-21-10, 08:32 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

How much is Lexus charging to rebuild the ECU's?
Old 12-23-10, 11:30 AM
staticpage
Driver School Candidate

O.L.T is correct, I simplified the details to a basic level. In my defense I to will post a link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague
and I believe that the failure is due to heat. but that is my opinion.

The repair I had done was $60 link http://store.driftmotion.com/static/...capservice.php
Old 02-15-11, 08:56 AM
Raffizzz
Driver School Candidate

Default BAD Capacitor 1UZ ECU

Originally Posted by staticpage
O.L.T is correct, I simplified the details to a basic level. In my defense I to will post a link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague
and I believe that the failure is due to heat. but that is my opinion.

The repair I had done was $60 link http://store.driftmotion.com/static/...capservice.php
Hey guys, I have a 92 SC400 that I'm Renovating(everything) and my car was having some problems which was diagnose by a Lexus certified master tech, and the cause was the 1UZ ecu. So I took it out and opened the ecu, to my finding there was 1 capacitor that had corrosion all around it, and another two that started leaking. Since driftmotion was close to where I live, I met with Aaron, and as soon as he looked at the caps and the brand, he told me that this was one of the bad caps Toyota used. drifmotion has repaired alot of **1JZ** ECU's, according to Aaron @ driftmotion.com the 1UZ ECU had more Capacitors then 1JZ. It's getting fixed (replacing all caps)now, I will post pictures of the bad ecu caps, and will let you know about the before and after results. I thought about doing it myself, but did not want to risk damaging the ecu(static electric shocks will damage alot of components in there)
Old 02-15-11, 09:13 AM
skirts
Lead Lap

Interesting. I've had a weird cel problem that occurs only when it's hot outside. I wonder if it could be related to this info?
Old 02-15-11, 09:23 AM
Raffizzz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by skirts
Interesting. I've had a weird cel problem that occurs only when it's hot outside. I wonder if it could be related to this info?
Quick way you can do a visual check up if you can get the ecu out and open it, you can see the bad one's, but the ones that are just starting you have to look really close at the bottom of the cap, it will look like dust is collected on oil/water Liquid etc... and the pro's can test each cap for uf and volt's.
Old 02-15-11, 01:53 PM
BenStoked
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Raffizzz
Hey guys, I have a 92 SC400 that I'm Renovating(everything) and my car was having some problems which was diagnose by a Lexus certified master tech, and the cause was the 1UZ ecu. So I took it out and opened the ecu, to my finding there was 1 capacitor that had corrosion all around it, and another two that started leaking. Since driftmotion was close to where I live, I met with Aaron, and as soon as he looked at the caps and the brand, he told me that this was one of the bad caps Toyota used. drifmotion has repaired alot of **1JZ** ECU's, according to Aaron @ driftmotion.com the 1UZ ECU had more Capacitors then 1JZ. It's getting fixed (replacing all caps)now, I will post pictures of the bad ecu caps, and will let you know about the before and after results. I thought about doing it myself, but did not want to risk damaging the ecu(static electric shocks will damage alot of components in there)
I expect it would cost more for a 1uz ecu, due to there being more caps. is there an official price up? I can't seem to find one.
Old 02-15-11, 04:34 PM
bugjug
Driver

Originally Posted by Raffizzz
Quick way you can do a visual check up if you can get the ecu out and open it, you can see the bad one's, but the ones that are just starting you have to look really close at the bottom of the cap, it will look like dust is collected on oil/water Liquid etc... and the pro's can test each cap for uf and volt's.
replacem all..
Old 02-15-11, 11:33 PM
Raffizzz
Driver School Candidate

^^^^^^ I agree
Old 02-16-11, 04:35 PM
iridebmx
Lexus Test Driver

SOB! i paid $300!!!! grrr!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: are you guys aware of the need to replace your ECU capacitors?