SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

whats the point of a BOV if you just recirculate it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-10, 09:44 AM
eliteskill
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by imDementeD
i dont have a tiny turbo but its not huge by any means and only plan to run 9psi for quite a while..

one other thing to through in the mix..with an auto car the bov isn't needed between shifts correct? since the throttle is still open.

i do understand that it should in theory harm a turbo..but has anyone or company really put it to the test to see what kind of damage it will do and over a period of time how much time it'll take off the life of it? and what is a life expectancy of a turbo anyway??
^ with a auto... each time you let off the throttle because you are in gear it will blow off. You need a BOV. Without that theres is still a chance of surge. If you are flooring it in a drag race, it will pretty much not be using it but as soon as you let up a little then it comes into play.

Its the same for a manual. If you are in say 5th gear on the freeway it acts like an auto just cruising in gear when you let off your thorttle the BOV goes off.

Turbo life is all guessing, other things effect turbo life as well. Its still better SAFE than sorry. Dont skimp on your build a BOV is only 100 bucks compared to more turbos.

Last edited by eliteskill; 10-08-10 at 09:50 AM.
Old 10-08-10, 11:09 AM
imDementeD
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

^ its not that i even want to skimp on it..its id rather a cleaner look vs having to recirculate the bov to keep the car running correctly...unless i went blow through which i also hear is ok by some and bad by others..
Old 10-08-10, 11:15 AM
eliteskill
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by imDementeD
^ its not that i even want to skimp on it..its id rather a cleaner look vs having to recirculate the bov to keep the car running correctly...unless i went blow through which i also hear is ok by some and bad by others..
your going be NA-T? Your car running correctly will relay more in your tuner than having BOV itself. You can hide the BOV on the intercooler piping near the fender for a cleaner look as well. No one will see it. I wouldnt worry to much about it. Get it just to be safe and get a good tune because thats where its going count for NA-T. Happy boosting!
Old 10-08-10, 11:40 AM
Quick VR-4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You do not have to recirc your BOV for your car to run correctly. I have ran open atmosphere on my BOV for 10 years without any problems. Most standalones ECU's or piggy back fuel controllers have settings to compensate for an open air BOV.

As for running a BOV or not, imagine 20 psi (POUNDS PER SQUARE INCH) slamming into a closed throttle plate and heading back towards the turbo. Like someone else said, turbos are designed to spin one direction and the air coming back would eventually destroy your turbo without a doubt. I don't care who makes it or how nice the turbo is. I know someone made the Buick GN argument, but every high horsepower GN I have seen runs a BOV. 99% of turbo cars also come factory equiped with one for a reason. Just because you cannot hear it does not mean it is not there.
Old 10-08-10, 12:15 PM
imDementeD
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

as far as the recirc thing..i just hear its the way to correctly do an na-t with a stock maf..i wont be getting a stand alone any time soon..just a simple safc since i only plan to run 9psi for at least a year...

as far as the argument on stock factory cars..a lot of other people on other forums arguing this topic said factory cars do this for emissions reasons more then anything else..

and the guy who even wrote the book Maximum Boost(which im reading now just to learn as much as i can) ..in his book he talks about BOV's and how they can cause damage without running them..however at the same time when he made his turbo kits for miata's ..he didnt run one....

i really wish someone would do testing on this professionally to be able to post some actual results..

im sorta a computer nerd..definitely overclock every piece of hardware i own..
and around the nerd forums you always hear what you should and shouldnt do and how overclocking ur cpu/gpu will reduce the life of the part etc..

but to me these never matter for the reason they are designed to last 10-20yrs where i wont use it more then 2 usually so ..overclocking it to the extreme at volts told never to run has NEVER caused a cpu to die..it might not be "good" for it but it hasn't caused any damage in the short term of 2-7yrs( a few cpu's i still have even tho i upgrade often that run just the way they did when i bought them and overclocked same settings)

so thats kind of what id like to see in a professional test..some actual hard evidence on what really happens..

either way i wont be running anywhere near 20psi..i just want to run about 300whp..it'll be daily driven so i dont want the hassle of stalling issues that ive seen a lot of others complain about and thought hey no bov=not having to worry about recirc or stalling because of using stock Maf