SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Sc300 vs. Soarer z30

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-18, 10:24 AM
rentaro
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Arrow Sc300 vs. Soarer z30

once again i have another proposed sticky or official thread. (yeah yeah yeah, what a surprise...)

could we get an official list for all differences between the Z30 soarer JDM and the USDM SC300? there is actually SOOOO many more things that are different between the two than i originally expected... from the most obvious engine type all the way down to interesting but small things like stock center console nav systems on a digital screen. i will start the list and try to catagorize it as best as i can, but there is ALOT of things, and i only know like about 1/8 of all the differences. i will add a link to the google sheets file with the current information
_________________________________________contributors- BLK13X, KhanBB6,____________________________________
* many major interior parts that orient differently between LHD and RHD for the driver and passenger (including the mounting tabs on them) are literally flopped in the plastic forming process.

* an obscure feature available for only a few years on certain Soarer Z30 trim levels was a rear package tray cabin air ionizing system. From the look of it in exploded diagrams it looks like it took up the space where a subwoofer went but I could be wrong about that. Never available in the USA/Canadian SC's.

* The infamous digital display stereos were officially called Electro-Multi-Vision (EMV). The Soarer Z30 5-speed manual cars never had the option but any of the "luxury" trim levels could have it: UZZ32, UZZ30, JZZ30 GT-L. <Sorry just to clarify, the the EMV were only available on the UZZ31 (optional), as far as I'm aware standard on the UZZ32. JZZ30/31 and UZZ30 don't have option for EMV. The EMV-looking stereos are a 2DIN with screen unit.>[BLK13X]

* As with MANY JDM cars most of the Z30 trim levels could have power folding mirrors. The SC's never got this. Even very inexpensive cars in Japan have folding mirrors because of right parking spaces. IN the USA we only seem to get it shooed in on some European cars.

* 1991-1995 JZZ30 Soarers got the 1JZ-GTE parallel/dual NON-sequential CT12A twin turbo engine. 1996-2000 JZZ30 Soarers got the 1JZ-GTE VVT-i single CT15B turbo engine. In stock form the former was more peaky while the latter was much more torquey down low (the VVT-i generating a large amount of its max torque at only 2600 rpm) but with a drop-off (in stock tune) when revs got very high.

* Soarer Z30's in Japan apparently never got a 4.272:1 final drive ratio even with the 2JZ-GE automatic models. Those got 4.083:1 ratios.

* There was never a manual W58 Soarer Z30 non-turbo. A manual transmission was only available with the 1JZ-GTE turbo engine and it was the R154 5-speed in both extension housing (91-93 Production) and "Tripod" (94-2000) versions.

* Both the 1992-1997 Lexus SC300 2JZ-GE 5-speed manual and the 1991-2000 Toyota Soarer 1JZ-GTE R154 5-speed manual cars both got the same 4.083:1 final drive ratio. Only the Soarer manual got a Torsen LSD option (at first a T-1 but definitely later a T-2).

* USA SC's never ever got any Torsen LSD option. Canadian SC400's for a few years of production DID get Torsen LSDs either standard or optional. JDM Soarer Z30 manuals got the LSD standard while it was an option or trim package inclusion on some JZZ30 Automatics and even on some JDM Soarer UZZ30's. Not sure if the rare UZZ32 Soarer had the Torsen LSD standard but I don't think it did.

* Compared to all the other 30 series SC's and Soarers the UZZ32, aside from the drivetrain, had the lion's share of tour de force suspension and 4WS steering technology that none of the other cars ever got. The weight penalty for all that tech was close to 300lbs extra.

* L-Package (maybe G-Package as well) trim levels (JZZ30/31) had optional rear adjustable head rests, while they were standard fitment to all V8s.

* Two types of fabric interiors (manual adjustable seats had cloth, electric adjustable had velour with a striped pattern - slightly wider on later model Soarers). Not sure if leather was a factory option on the JZZ30/31.

* Two types of digital dash, pending spec (half digital for base grades, full digital for upper grades) - full digital dash has the ability to display diagnostic codes (as opposed to having to count the number of CEL flashes).

* Colour-matched door and dash panels for base grades in place of wood accent panels.

* Optional ultrasonic door mirrors (shake n' bake ) and electric dimming rear view mirror (auto dimming on later models).

* If the car was originally optioned with a rear spoiler it will come with the rear wiper as well, which also changes the subwoofer cover to suit.

* On the passenger side kick panel there is a holder for the emergency flare. These are removed when cars come into Australia, makes a good spot for a torch.

* JZZ30/31 versions available with optional seven speaker stereo (six speaker stereo with no woofer is standard) - V8's all had the seven speaker stereo. CD changer is optional on JZZ30/31 and UZZ30.

* Radio antenna is in the glass - no antenna mast on bodywork.

* Back up camera option for UZZ31 if fitted with optional EMV (can't remember if it's standard on UZZ32).

* Sunroof is optional - earlier UZZ32 Actives don't have sunroof as an option.

* No DRL on Soarers.

* Air purifier option as mentioned above. I would assume that the rear woofer is still operable, I've seen them fitted into the back of the V8s.

* Driver's airbag was an option on earlier base models (I think until the Series 3 update).

* UZZ31 lower control arms are different to the standard JZZ30/31 and UZZ30 (including SC300 and SC400) due to the bracket for the height sensor rods. UZZ32 control arms are completely different to any of the other Soarers.

* slightly faster steering rack on all the RHD models and the much faster ratio steering rack (and bulky 4WS system) on the rare UZZ32 Active cars.

* Two types of TEMS
- Standard (for coil spring struts only - damper adjustment via. ECT PWR switch). Available on JZZ30/31 L-Package models.
- Skyhook (air struts only - height adjustment via. switch on centre console), fitted in combination with electric damper adjustment as well. Available on UZZ31/32 models.

* A/V connector (mono audio out) available as factory option for EMV.

* Front and rear parking poles available as an option (switch operated, poles mounted on left hand corner of the bumpers).

JZ30vsUSZ30

Last edited by rentaro; 01-01-19 at 08:47 PM.
Old 12-21-18, 12:16 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

I can chime in more later but off the top of my head:

--many major interior parts that orient differently between LHD and RHD for the driver and passenger (including the mounting tabs on them) are literally flopped in the plastic forming process.

--an obscure feature available for only a few years on certain Soarer Z30 trim levels was a rear package tray cabin air ionizing system. From the look of it in exploded diagrams it looks like it took up the space where a subwoofer went but I could be wrong about that. Never available in the USA/Canadian SC's.

--The infamous digital display stereos were officially called Electro-Multi-Vision (EMV). The Soarer Z30 5-speed manual cars never had the option but any of the "luxury" trim levels could have it: UZZ32, UZZ30, JZZ30 GT-L.

--As with MANY JDM cars most of the Z30 trim levels could have power folding mirrors. The SC's never got this. Even very inexpensive cars in Japan have folding mirrors because of right parking spaces. IN the USA we only seem to get it shooed in on some European cars.

--1991-1995 JZZ30 Soarers got the 1JZ-GTE parallel/dual NON-sequential CT12A twin turbo engine. 1996-2000 JZZ30 Soarers got the 1JZ-GTE VVT-i single CT15B turbo engine. In stock form the former was more peaky while the latter was much more torquey down low (the VVT-i generating a large amount of its max torque at only 2600 rpm) but with a drop-off (in stock tune) when revs got very high.

--Soarer Z30's in Japan apparently never got a 4.272:1 final drive ratio even with the 2JZ-GE automatic models. Those got 4.083:1 ratios.

--There was never a manual W58 Soarer Z30 non-turbo. A manual transmission was only available with the 1JZ-GTE turbo engine and it was the R154 5-speed in both extension housing (91-93 Production) and "Tripod" (94-2000) versions.

--Both the 1992-1997 Lexus SC300 2JZ-GE 5-speed manual and the 1991-2000 Toyota Soarer 1JZ-GTE R154 5-speed manual cars both got the same 4.083:1 final drive ratio. Only the Soarer manual got a Torsen LSD option (at first a T-1 but definitely later a T-2).

--USA SC's never ever got any Torsen LSD option. Canadian SC400's for a few years of production DID get Torsen LSDs either standard or optional. JDM Soarer Z30 manuals got the LSD standard while it was an option or trim package inclusion on some JZZ30 Automatics and even on some JDM Soarer UZZ30's. Not sure if the rare UZZ32 Soarer had the Torsen LSD standard but I don't think it did.

--Compared to all the other 30 series SC's and Soarers the UZZ32, aside from the drivetrain, had the lion's share of tour de force suspension and 4WS steering technology that none of the other cars ever got. The weight penalty for all that tech was close to 300lbs extra.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 12-21-18 at 12:34 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by KahnBB6:
Kira X (12-21-18), rentaro (01-01-19)
Old 12-21-18, 02:23 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

Thanks for that post Kahn! There is a lot of details you posted that I never knew about. I would love to have a factory turbo SC some day.
Old 12-31-18, 03:43 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
--The infamous digital display stereos were officially called Electro-Multi-Vision (EMV). The Soarer Z30 5-speed manual cars never had the option but any of the "luxury" trim levels could have it: UZZ32, UZZ30, JZZ30 GT-L.
Sorry just to clarify, the the EMV were only available on the UZZ31 (optional), as far as I'm aware standard on the UZZ32. JZZ30/31 and UZZ30 don't have option for EMV. The EMV-looking stereos are a 2DIN with screen unit.

Other differences I've noticed over the years...
* L-Package (maybe G-Package as well) trim levels (JZZ30/31) had optional rear adjustable head rests, while they were standard fitment to all V8s.
* Two types of fabric interiors (manual adjustable seats had cloth, electric adjustable had velour with a striped pattern - slightly wider on later model Soarers). Not sure if leather was a factory option on the JZZ30/31.
* Two types of digital dash, pending spec (half digital for base grades, full digital for upper grades) - full digital dash has the ability to display diagnostic codes (as opposed to having to count the number of CEL flashes).
* Colour-matched door and dash panels for base grades in place of wood accent panels.
* Optional ultrasonic door mirrors (shake n' bake ) and electric dimming rear view mirror (auto dimming on later models).
* If the car was originally optioned with a rear spoiler it will come with the rear wiper as well, which also changes the subwoofer cover to suit.
* On the passenger side kick panel there is a holder for the emergency flare. These are removed when cars come into Australia, makes a good spot for a torch.
* JZZ30/31 versions available with optional seven speaker stereo (six speaker stereo with no woofer is standard) - V8's all had the seven speaker stereo. CD changer is optional on JZZ30/31 and UZZ30.
* Radio antenna is in the glass - no antenna mast on bodywork.
* Back up camera option for UZZ31 if fitted with optional EMV (can't remember if it's standard on UZZ32).
* Sunroof is optional - earlier UZZ32 Actives don't have sunroof as an option.
* No DRL on Soarers.
* Air purifier option as mentioned above. I would assume that the rear woofer is still operable, I've seen them fitted into the back of the V8s.
* Driver's airbag was an option on earlier base models (I think until the Series 3 update).
* UZZ31 lower control arms are different to the standard JZZ30/31 and UZZ30 (including SC300 and SC400) due to the bracket for the height sensor rods. UZZ32 control arms are completely different to any of the other Soarers.

I'm sure I'm missing a ton of things here
The following 2 users liked this post by BLK13X:
KahnBB6 (12-31-18), rentaro (01-01-19)
Old 01-01-19, 12:15 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

^^ Thank you for the correction and many more additions! There are so many more options that came standard or optional on the Soarers Not to mention the slightly faster steering rack on all the RHD models and the much faster ratio steering rack (and bulky 4WS system) on the rare UZZ32 Active cars.
The following users liked this post:
rentaro (01-01-19)
Old 01-01-19, 04:51 AM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

No problem at all Now that Soarers are available for import into USA it'll be much easier to line up the models side by side to play spot the difference. I didn't even realise that the SC and Soarer steering racks would've been any different (other than being RHD/LHD-specific).

Before I forget,

* Two types of TEMS
- Standard (for coil spring struts only - damper adjustment via. ECT PWR switch). Available on JZZ30/31 L-Package models.
- Skyhook (air struts only - height adjustment via. switch on centre console), fitted in combination with electric damper adjustment as well. Available on UZZ31/32 models.
* A/V connector (mono audio out) available as factory option for EMV.
* Front and rear parking poles available as an option (switch operated, poles mounted on left hand corner of the bumpers).

Last edited by BLK13X; 01-01-19 at 05:09 AM. Reason: Adding more info!
The following 2 users liked this post by BLK13X:
KahnBB6 (01-02-19), rentaro (01-01-19)
Old 01-01-19, 08:36 PM
rentaro
Rookie

Default concerning the link i posted

i guess i forgot to mention, but the link i posted is an edit by anyone link. also dont be alarmed, as i will do some C&P onto the original post to update with everything that you guys have already posted, (obviously i will add the source username) that way people can look at the main post instead of having to sift through the comment section
Old 01-01-19, 08:50 PM
rentaro
Rookie

BTW, this thread has so much good information on it, i seriously wonder why there isnt already a sticky thread somewhere on all this.. even wikipedia doesn't have all this information..
The following users liked this post:
BLK13X (01-04-19)