SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

1997 SC300 worth buying at this time?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-10, 07:55 AM
NYLEGEND95
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by eliteskill
Thats a nice size stable you got there. If you want a car you can really fall in love with. Test drive a few on your mind first. SCx00 are meant to be kept forever. You hardly see a nice one around now a days.

My ideal stable would be:

Fun Car - SC300
My Daily Car - ??? -
Wife's Car - ??? - if you have one
Family Car - ??? - if you have one lol.

4 Cars would be perfect + any toys on the side.. bikes/quads/boats

Fill in the blanks with whatever model you want =) Good luck. If you do buy it welcome! and pics!

Be prepared to spend money either way. Just updating the looks and making it clean will cost a few 1000s. Once you get into the motor and upgrades your past 10,000 mark easy on mods. lol

I easily have $20k+ in mine but its finished, so something to think about.
Thanks...couple of points to touch on here...

1) you say your SC is finished....I understand that mod wise, but what about maintenance wise?? A Timing belt is a replaceable item which needs replacement every 90k so the more you drive, the more often you'll replace it. Similarly, I assume tie rods, ball joints, axles etc all have a shelf life to some degree.

I replaced everything in my legend thinking it was the car I was literally going to be buried in (i.e. Men in Black's last suit you'd ever wear). But driving it daily has proven to be expensive. I've went through 3 sets of axles in the 4 years and 30k I've owned her. I'm due for another it looks like (legends break axles like I sneeze)

I wasn't looking for this scenario with the SC300. THe car is mint, except for the fact that it has ugly 16" aftermarket wheels and no-name tires which means off the bat, I'm looking at $1,000-$1500 for GS430 17" chromies with some michelin pilot or bridgestone pole position rubber.

Bottomline, I don't want a car I'm going to have to throw $5k at just to get her to where I want her to be. THe black paint is clean, but old.

I do understand that nothing is free-you either buy an older car and pay maintenance or buy a new car and pay a payment monthly. Just trying to find the best possible medium.
Old 09-08-10, 08:02 AM
96SC4
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

if your an OEM guy and won't be changing anything to aftermarket(like engine swap), definitely go for the SC400 over the 300...
if this is just going to be a nice cruiser car, 1UZ all the way...

with that being said, if you're going for the big 4-door sedan.... LS430!
OR may i suggest(since your such a huge Acura fan), a 2004 Acura RL.
Last year of that body style with standard navigation, upgraded steering wheel, in dash 6-CD player with upgraded speakers/amps etc.

http://www.edmunds.com/pictures/VEHI...rl.22436-E.jpg

http://www.edmunds.com/pictures/VEHI...rl.22439-E.jpg

i want one of these for a DD, 6 cyl for economical MPG, and FWD for those NY winters...not to mention, they are bullet proof...
Good luck, i put myself(& my girl) through this every couple years...
Old 09-08-10, 08:09 AM
horent135
Lexus Champion

I agreed with 96SC4, if your not into turbo your car and driving around for cruising, I would pick 400. Also remember, SC are not fast, so don't think you are the king, SC are heavy and awesome cruising car.
Old 09-08-10, 08:14 AM
NYLEGEND95
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 96SC4
if your an OEM guy and won't be changing anything to aftermarket(like engine swap), definitely go for the SC400 over the 300...
if this is just going to be a nice cruiser car, 1UZ all the way...

with that being said, if you're going for the big 4-door sedan.... LS430!
OR may i suggest(since your such a huge Acura fan), a 2004 Acura RL.
Last year of that body style with standard navigation, upgraded steering wheel, in dash 6-CD player with upgraded speakers/amps etc.

http://www.edmunds.com/pictures/VEHI...rl.22436-E.jpg

http://www.edmunds.com/pictures/VEHI...rl.22439-E.jpg

i want one of these for a DD, 6 cyl for economical MPG, and FWD for those NY winters...not to mention, they are bullet proof...
Good luck, i put myself(& my girl) through this every couple years...
thanks...I know all about the 3.5RL. My best friend has an 04 RL vip'd out (Mode Parfume kit, 19" SSR staggered rims, air ride, etc). I like the RL but its a bit "oldmanish" for me lol (I'm still relatively young- 32)

I think I might just hold out for a mint pearl white SC400 (of the 97+ variety). I do miss my 1UZ from my old GS4...

BTW no need for a winter cruiser, I already have my 4 Runner winter beast If she breaks down, I tell my mother I need my QX4 back
Old 09-08-10, 08:38 AM
96SC4
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by NYLEGEND95
thanks...I know all about the 3.5RL. My best friend has an 04 RL vip'd out (Mode Parfume kit, 19" SSR staggered rims, air ride, etc). I like the RL but its a bit "oldmanish" for me lol (I'm still relatively young- 32)

I think I might just hold out for a mint pearl white SC400 (of the 97+ variety). I do miss my 1UZ from my old GS4...

BTW no need for a winter cruiser, I already have my 4 Runner winter beast If she breaks down, I tell my mother I need my QX4 back
i want one so friggin' bad! & i'm 30!
good choice on the 97+ and the 1UZ
but....even better, 98+ with the 1uz
Old 09-08-10, 08:45 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

I would go for it. A black on black SC is hard to find. I'd give anything for the black interior.
Old 09-08-10, 08:59 AM
-Samurai-
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why 5 cars? lol But yeah The SC's are an awesome choice for a nice comfortable sporty luxury car. And they still look amazing after all these years.
Old 09-08-10, 10:26 AM
NYLEGEND95
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by -Samurai-
Why 5 cars? lol But yeah The SC's are an awesome choice for a nice comfortable sporty luxury car. And they still look amazing after all these years.
simple-

1) My 95 Legend Sedan is my DD (car I plan to drive until I can't get parts for it anymore or 500,000 miles, whichever comes first )
2) My 05 Monte SS S/C- wife's DD (which we're going to sell very soon)
3) 2001 4 Runner- my winter beast and house stuff hauling beast
4) 01 Infiniti QX4-my ex winter beater that I handed down to my mother (I still own and insure it)
5) 95 Legend Coupe-my ex garage queen/cruiser that I sold because I outgrew it, and wanted to cut my losses while it still had some value
6) 2011 Hyundai Sonata-this is a hard one to justify....I was really mad at my legend sedan one weekend (we weren't talking lol)....I decided to replace her, but not really.....I'm way tooo impulsive LOL
Old 09-08-10, 10:37 AM
sc4demon
Lexus Test Driver

I have a 1998 Lexus SC400 VVTI at 145K for $8000. It has a light dent on the driver side door easy fix. PM Me if your interested
Old 09-08-10, 10:43 AM
ClearP
Lead Lap

PIctures of the legend please lol
Old 09-08-10, 10:46 AM
NYLEGEND95
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ClearP
PIctures of the legend please lol
first page young grasshopper
Old 09-08-10, 10:49 AM
NYLEGEND95
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sc4demon
I have a 1998 Lexus SC400 VVTI at 145K for $8000. It has a light dent on the driver side door easy fix. PM Me if your interested
pics? color?
Old 09-08-10, 10:49 AM
eliteskill
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by NYLEGEND95
Thanks...couple of points to touch on here...

1) you say your SC is finished....I understand that mod wise, but what about maintenance wise?? A Timing belt is a replaceable item which needs replacement every 90k so the more you drive, the more often you'll replace it. Similarly, I assume tie rods, ball joints, axles etc all have a shelf life to some degree.

I replaced everything in my legend thinking it was the car I was literally going to be buried in (i.e. Men in Black's last suit you'd ever wear). But driving it daily has proven to be expensive. I've went through 3 sets of axles in the 4 years and 30k I've owned her. I'm due for another it looks like (legends break axles like I sneeze)

I wasn't looking for this scenario with the SC300. THe car is mint, except for the fact that it has ugly 16" aftermarket wheels and no-name tires which means off the bat, I'm looking at $1,000-$1500 for GS430 17" chromies with some michelin pilot or bridgestone pole position rubber.

Bottomline, I don't want a car I'm going to have to throw $5k at just to get her to where I want her to be. THe black paint is clean, but old.

I do understand that nothing is free-you either buy an older car and pay maintenance or buy a new car and pay a payment monthly. Just trying to find the best possible medium.
If you just want to be OEM. 2000 SC400! that is the way to go. You have all the updated looks, bells and whistles and a stock 280-290hp motor. The Motor is strong and reliable. You are looking at a fulltune up on a engine like that to be around $700~1000 depending on parts n labor. I normally do a full tune up on every used car I buy to give the engine a refresher.

I get everything that is old or looks bad/to soon fail a replacement within the first month of a used car ownership. After that I mod. Simple I Care About My Car Treatment. Make it run realible than mod if you want.

OEM sexy timeless car for car cost + $3-5k at most to bring everything up to date depening on your standards (paint/decent wheels/engine tune up/suspension fix/check) and your good for the next 10 years easy.

If I had the chance I would get a 2000 SC400.
Old 09-08-10, 10:53 AM
ClearP
Lead Lap

woow... 15k to keep it new looking? Daaamn! Beautiful cars tho!
Old 09-08-10, 10:56 AM
NYLEGEND95
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ClearP
woow... 15k to keep it new looking? Daaamn! Beautiful cars tho!
my GS4 taught me one important saying "Gotta pay to play"

Quick Reply: 1997 SC300 worth buying at this time?