gapxguy
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why did you get your car painted again?
Old 08-18-10, 01:41 AM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love it! Wish I could paint my RX this color to be honest.
Old 08-18-10, 01:52 AM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1992Lexus
Holy cow, it looks amazing. This makes how many times getting your SC painted? :-)
Originally Posted by Vincent123
dude jerry are you getting hook ups or you just ballin?? Coz it seems like youre getting a new fresh paint job every month or so $$$$
Originally Posted by Luxor
New paint again? ZOMG! Looks good!
Originally Posted by gapxguy
Why did you get your car painted again?

I am not really sure how this misconception that I have multiple paint jobs came about but the car was completely repainted ONCE by a small mom and pop body shop before last summer.

September 2009, I brought to Makito into get it a few issues and mistakes made by the first shop fixed

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/4821487-post309.html

Ever since, I had a few more incidents :

December of 2009, someone scuffed it at work

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...esh-paint.html

March 2010, My front bumper got backed into and it got busted

In the same month, it got keyed while waiting being on Makito's waitlist for repairs

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...got-keyed.html

April 2010, I damaged the side-skirts against the curb

May 2010 I finally dropped the car off to get all of the aforementioned damages repaired but we later decided that it would be best to get the entire car painted since the entire kit and two quarter panels had to be repaired.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...o-project.html

Originally Posted by camberSC
YES!!!!!!! Wheel fitment now! lol
LOL, I am not all that into crazy wheel fitments with stretched tires, -4 camber, or sitting two inches above the ground. Maybe, if it was a GS or LS.

I would like to get a rear camber kit to reduce the negative camber and bring the wheel closer to the fender.

Originally Posted by LiCelsior
did u keep it MRM?
Originally Posted by Girly TT
love the color

Thanks! Yes I am keeping it the same color as before. However, I am using a higher end BASF clear coat which gives it a deep wet look unlike before

Originally Posted by vinh
The car looked so sick without the clearcoat. What you need to invest in now is a garage Jerry!
I actually entertained with the thought of going matte. BASF has a matte clear and a matte additive for the clear coat that we used. However, the polished/chrome wheels, chrome exhaust, and chrome trim would not go well with the matte theme.

Originally Posted by drpatel77
wanna see ur car in person when it 's done.... if u don't mind.... b/c debating whether to get paint job myself little later....looking good so far....

can't wait for finished pics...
Thanks man! You should stop by the shop and check it out! You've been there already

Originally Posted by megamax
looks teh sex..

how much total did you spend in paint??

and is true no matter how good you mask off some areas, there will be overspray??
Originally Posted by keesimo
That is a banging paint job, how much did it run you?
Originally Posted by BlackSteel
The paint job is awesome!! How much was it?
Originally Posted by j three
Yes, how much?
I do not want to quote any prices on here as every car differs case by case based on condition, type of work needed, and color. But if anyone is interested in getting things done correctly, here is the contact information for Makito. He has painted quite a few SCs on here

Shop Location:
Shine Auto Project
9135 Santa Anita Ave.
Rancho Cucamonga , California 91730

Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/sevenappleworks
Email: sevenappleworks@gmail.com
Phone: (310) 972-8529

Last edited by xknowonex; 08-18-10 at 10:38 AM.
Old 08-18-10, 09:17 AM
Luxor
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

^ ULTIMATE reply ever!
Old 08-18-10, 03:08 PM
kez
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

wow that RED!!
Old 08-18-10, 05:21 PM
818sc400
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how's the shine kit holding up?
Old 08-18-10, 05:24 PM
soulific
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts

hopefully mine can go in now. when did he say you could pick it up?
Old 08-18-10, 06:55 PM
MIGS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

win win win...
Old 08-18-10, 08:02 PM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 818sc400
how's the shine kit holding up?
The kit held up pretty good. No major damages. I have the tendency to scrape or hit dips.

Just a little off-topic, since I have a lot of leftover paint and clearcoat, I am seriously considering building a mini-me

Leave off the decals and spoiler and get chrome mesh wheels!
Old 08-18-10, 09:50 PM
terrylin
Driver

Originally Posted by Luxor
^ ULTIMATE reply ever!

i know! took me 3 whole mins on my slow dsl to see his reply on the last page. can we get a ballpark figure? like, ranges from 3-5K?
Old 08-18-10, 10:18 PM
2BENVD
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

nicely done getting the sc repainted successfully, but consider garaging it more now considering thiers ***holes/haters out there that are inmature enough to key an mess cars up
Old 08-19-10, 06:22 AM
JDMmuscle
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

wow, this looks incredible! Absolutely amazing! i love everything you stand for
Old 08-19-10, 02:13 PM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by terrylin
i know! took me 3 whole mins on my slow dsl to see his reply on the last page. can we get a ballpark figure? like, ranges from 3-5K?
You are pretty roughly correct with that price range as that's how much a decent paint job goes for nowadays.

There are a lot of variables when it comes to paint jobs such as if there is a kit that needs to be fitted and prepped, the condition of the car, color, how much parts you want to get removed i.e. glass etc and ultimately how perfect you want it.

It's not cheap but I learned my lesson that it is better to get it done the first time and be happy happy about it. I paid $2500 for the first paint job with the mom and pop shop. It was the cheapest I could find that would fix my quarter panel damage and shave my antenna. It looked fantastic to most people on the streets and at meets. There was almost no orange peel. I got tons of compliments left and right. Most of you guys who saw it in person liked it.

However, there were a lot of problems that bugged that resulted from the shortcuts that he took such as skipping on on the door handles. That is a common shortcut that body-shops would take on our cars due to the difficulty of taking the door handles off to paint it separately. First thing that I look at when I look at a repainted SC is to see if the door handles were removed during paint and on most SCs most were left on during paint. Also, he didn't spend much time at all to prep my kit or properly install the fog lights, which was why I had Makito fix the mistakes the first time. Luckily, the Shine kit fits relatively well by default so it did not look too bad.

Another cost cutting measure that bugged me with the first paint job was that he used a pretty cheap clearcoat and it faded pretty quick over the first year and it just didn't have the deep wet look of a high-end clearcoat. But hey, for $2500 I couldn't complain much and in the end it didn't matter at all since it got messed up anyways.

During this second repaint, I was happy knowing that the mistakes and shortcuts that bothered me and gave me headaches from the first paint-job won't be repeated again. Makito's attention to detail is almost unmatched when it comes to prepping these kits and making it look OEM. I thought my side skirts fitted fine but, according to Makito, apparently it "wasn't fitted correctly" he had to refit it during this 2nd repaint LOL.

So the lesson that I learned here is get it done the first time right and get it done once and for all. Do your research on what is involved about body work, on what materials are good, etc and make use that knowledge to make your decision on what shop to go to. For a decent paint-job and properly fitting an aero kit on these cars, expect to pay $3000 AT THE VERY LEAST ANYWHERE. Even if you do you pay a good amount, they could just do a real good job but use a cheap clearcoat without the customer ever knowing just to save a measly $200

Last edited by xknowonex; 08-19-10 at 02:18 PM.
Old 08-27-10, 06:16 PM
96RedLexSC
Rookie

Car look Amazing !! All the lines are perfect, he really did a great job painting your car. Congrats !!!! As for the Shine kit overall how is the fitment, does it need to be tweaked out alot to make everything flow perfectly?
Old 08-27-10, 06:38 PM
//LRD
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn that chit looks wet.... Congrats man well done

Quick Reply: My Car Got Finally Got Painted!