SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Bosozoku Bucket! What's hanging from your tow hook? Cool/Lame?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-10, 11:53 AM
SC400Dude
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I personally don't care for the hanging of stuff from the tow hook...looks rediculous imo. Reminds me of slapping on TOO many stickers on your car or a giant Erector set spoiler on your trunk. Just looks tacky - but hey, if that's your thang, so be it. To each his/her own
Old 08-11-10, 12:33 PM
adl16v
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I had my 86 corollas alot of guys hung it for a good luck charm they said idk if thats another reason why.
Old 08-11-10, 12:49 PM
TLDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I already have a few things hanging (projects not completed so don't think dirty) no need to hang anything on the car.
Old 08-11-10, 01:35 PM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I remember seeing this on an Acura a few months back at a meet...

Old 08-11-10, 01:40 PM
megamax
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

not a bucket. maybe a master lock.

Last edited by megamax; 08-11-10 at 05:11 PM.
Old 08-11-10, 07:48 PM
chnk
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

lol i have a small bamboo rice container on mine, exhaust keeps my sticky rice warm
Old 08-11-10, 08:20 PM
jgdynamics
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

im not really down for it... but i think it looks good as long as it matches the car... if its just a stock car with a bright pink bucket... then it doesnt exactly FLOW. try and make it flow
Old 08-11-10, 08:52 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by AngelBaby
A little history on how this started in Japan...

"For some reason, it has become some sort of trend for people to hang toys or other items of thier cars' rear tow hook, but the origination of this trend came from the Bosozoku (street gangsters with fixed up cars) in Japan. It was a Bosozoku trend to hang a small tin bucket from thier rear tow hook to show off how low thier cars were- they got the idea from seeing cement trucks in Japan, wich always had a bucket hanging off the rear of the truck. The cement trucks used the bucket as a "catch can" of sorts, so that excess cement from the truck would'nt spill onto the pavement. Inspired by this, the bosozoku trend setters attached small buckets to thier rear tow hooks to show how low thier bucket could hang- if your car was so low that the bucket could scrape on things as you were driving , they thought it was cool as hell."

With that said, does anyone have anything hanging from your tow hook?

Do you think it's "cool"? Or "lame"?

Nice bucket! Is it actually yours?

Originally Posted by Kohinoor
I can't believe they took his bucket!

Originally Posted by JDMmuscle
i hung my wifes **** beads from my friends GTO's tow hook, they are bright pink and his car is blue, it was seriously the first thing you would look at.

went all day at a car show before he knew they were there
I'm not sure what to say about this..... did anybody say anything when they found them.

Originally Posted by Dx3
I appreciate the story, as I didn't know the origins of why they do that. However, I think it is idiotic that people hang things from the back of their car. Give a ricer an excuse, and they really run with it. Between pouring vinegar on your hood, bike racks on the roof, and hanging stuff off your rear tow hook - I'm either getting old or people are just complete morons...

Jonny
I agree with you. The big ricer trend here in OKC is to not paint your car and only have primer on it.

Originally Posted by AngelBaby
I know right! They really run with it... Like the wanna be yakuzas that VIP their car, the wide body kits, the rediculous drop that you can't even go over sleeping popos, the outlandish rims and putting tires that are obviously too small to get the rubberband effect... It's just a trend, it's just a fad, extreme JDM, to the max. And I can't wait to invest a grip of hunnys on attaining the look!

But in the end it's what makes us happy :] and whether it's done right or done wrong is what makes it oh so awesome or gay [gay.... -sigh- saying it like it's a horrible thing] but it's probably the only way to explain it to the egotistic/manly mens out there.

Oh yah, if you don't like Hello Kitty it's okei cause she don't like you either (^.^)y
I've always wanted a big Japanese gangster sedan with giant wheels and airbags. Hello Kitty is cool! I've got Hello Kitty floor mats in my SC!

Originally Posted by Tabaka
I remember seeing this on an Acura a few months back at a meet...

He's not low enough.... true Japanese gangsters keep their cars on the ground.
Old 08-11-10, 10:16 PM
AngelBaby
Rookie

@ KiraX : Thankies! yah-p I bought a little silver bucket and sticker-bombed it did a little spray and ta da my end product :] turned out pretty nice. Too bad I scraped the shizzles out of it / dented it when I backed into the garage :x haha oh well...
Old 08-11-10, 10:58 PM
ArodDaLob
Lexus Test Driver

i don't need any damn buckets to scrape to show how low i am. i got my exhaust piping that's 1" off the ground to do that job for me.
Old 08-11-10, 11:16 PM
AngelBaby
Rookie

Originally Posted by ArodDaLob
i don't need any damn buckets to scrape to show how low i am. i got my exhaust piping that's 1" off the ground to do that job for me.
Awesome Possum! Das pretty freaffin' low :]
Old 08-11-10, 11:42 PM
ronricorum
Pole Position

wow good job on the bucket. it looks hella good. didnt know it was home-made! =D

but as far as the hangin stuff, my friends used to hang dolls, like one had a super mario doll and another had a domo doll. lol

if it's your thang i guess
Old 08-12-10, 01:27 PM
AngelBaby
Rookie

Originally Posted by ronricorum
wow good job on the bucket. it looks hella good. didnt know it was home-made! =D

but as far as the hangin stuff, my friends used to hang dolls, like one had a super mario doll and another had a domo doll. lol

if it's your thang i guess
Thanks! It turned out better than I thoight it would :]
Old 08-12-10, 01:39 PM
BenStoked
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kira X
I agree with you. The big ricer trend here in OKC is to not paint your car and only have primer on it
correction: they rattle can primer over the existing paint, because it's cool.
nothing really wrong with the old paint, but because they can
Old 08-12-10, 02:58 PM
AngelBaby
Rookie

Originally Posted by BenStoked
correction: they rattle can primer over the existing paint, because it's cool.
nothing really wrong with the old paint, but because they can
That's pretty common here in Vegas as well. There's a guy that works at the Chevron by my house, I kid you not, primer paints his car a different color atleast once a month :x

Quick Reply: Bosozoku Bucket! What's hanging from your tow hook? Cool/Lame?