ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-1st-gen-1992-2000-6/)
-   -   egr is busting my ballz (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-1st-gen-1992-2000/518209-egr-is-busting-my-ballz.html)

cheez 08-09-10 11:40 AM

egr is busting my ballz

96 sc300 has been giving me the check engine light for egr insufficient flow for the longest. ive done pretty much all i can think if which is taking it out and cleaning it with carb cleaner, inspecting all vac hoses for cracks or any that is disconnected. i dont even have any symptoms of a bad egr. my idle is fine i dont stall. everytime i clear it the light comes back on. the only thing i can think about is that is theres a vac hose that i cant see is disconnected. any help would be appreciated :thumbup:

turbodremz 08-09-10 12:07 PM

IMO, I would just order egr block off plates, and a .10c resistor and just forget it all together.

Ali SC3 08-09-10 12:09 PM

or just the resister if its driving fine. once egr starts acting up... its a pain to diagnose.

EUROJulian 08-09-10 01:16 PM

That is usually VSV problem. YMMV

cheez 08-09-10 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by EUROJulian (Post 5702708)

wuts that?

aka paco 08-09-10 02:35 PM

mine was doing that for awhile until it started bogging down when i accelerate and started taking longer to crank..

just doing egr block off plates now..

i had zero symptoms for the longest, just random insufficient flow code, sometimes it would even go away on it's own.

00whiteek 08-09-10 02:42 PM

where can you get the egr block off plates? I have the same problem too.

TLDriver 08-09-10 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by EUROJulian (Post 5702708)

this man spilled it out before I was able to! :thumbup: I had the same issue and it came out to be the vsv. I had to test the ohms on it and open and close it to figure it out. I just forgot the values on the vsv to be on spec.

FYI 96 SC300 5 speed with about 120k miles here.

Sc4Jr24 08-09-10 04:50 PM

You can pick a delete kit from lextreme or luxurymods for $100. I like how it cleans up the bay too.

dwebb99 08-09-10 04:56 PM

This may be your problem.....You may want to take your throttle body off and look into your intake runners. I had a HUGE amount of carbon build up and a almost completely closed egr opening right at the top of the intake runners where they "Y" out. Once you get your throttle body off and look where your egr tube/line goes into your intake runners you will see the area in your intake that I am talking about. My car had approx 125,000 miles on it.

aka paco 08-10-10 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by junior24 (Post 5703258)
You can pick a delete kit from lextreme or luxurymods for $100. I like how it cleans up the bay too.

boost logic has block off plates for like 45 bucks..

honestly you could probably make some for a few bucks though, i bought some boost logic ones, the only other thing you need is a resistor from radio shack which are like 99 cents for a pack of 5 or 6..

cheez 08-10-10 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by TLDriver (Post 5703102)
this man spilled it out before I was able to! :thumbup: I had the same issue and it came out to be the vsv. I had to test the ohms on it and open and close it to figure it out. I just forgot the values on the vsv to be on spec.

FYI 96 SC300 5 speed with about 120k miles here.

i have a 96 5spd too wut is this vsv?

turbodremz 08-10-10 07:21 AM

VSV- Vacuum Switching Canister.

Its an emissions control component that came on only Toyotas IIRC. I know there are a couple for sale over on Supraforums.com, or you can get one from Aliga. But I would still just get the resistor and plates and never worry about the EGR system again.

EUROJulian 08-10-10 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by turbodremz (Post 5704713)
VSV- Vacuum Switching Canister..

Canister starts with "C", you need something starting with "V":D

VSV- Vacuum Switching Valve. It is valve activated by the ECU to control vacuum operated actuator. There are many actuators, many VSV through out the car.
VSV I`m referring to controls opening and closing of the EGR valve. There was also good suggestion from somebody to see if EGR ports in the manifold are not blocked. particularly true for old, high mileage vehicles.

dAng_bAy 08-10-10 08:38 AM

the infamous p0401 code, I still haven't fix mine... It fixes itself some times after a new tank of gas... lately stayed on even no matter what gas i've put in it...

I've gone down the trouble tree to look for the problem... seems every thing checked out fine, i just need to check the vacuum lines next...