Introduction! Already had an SC, Picked up a Soarer

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-10, 06:46 PM
RobStar86
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Introduction! Already had an SC, Picked up a Soarer

Hi everyone,

I've been a member for a while now, just always lurked. Always wanted to own a Lexus SC and it happened for me 2 years ago. I found a 1993 SC400 with over 400,000 km (250,000 mi) for $800 and went to pick it up.

The car was not in half bad shape, barely any rust (hard for an old car not to have where I am, salted roads in the winter) and was pretty straight. The motor refused to start and was having problems moving (Trans related.) Regardless of whatever problems, I bought the car and it was to be a Father/Son project for myself and my Dad.

We got the car home and ended up firing it up, but did it run badly. We ended up figuring it was the caps/rotors, the motor was dumping a ton of fuel and barely igniting any of it. Ran like it was on 6 cylinders.

Anyways, about 3 months after, I was involved in a car accident and was sidelined from work as well as working on the car at all. My dad, busy with work himself would have no time for the car and it sat in the garage for almost 2 years.

Just recently, we started talking about the SC and were debating what to do with it, in terms of fixing it up. It was at that time I was starting to have problems with my current daily car and while looking online for a possible beater to replace it came across a 1991 Toyota Soarer for $3000. I immediately called the seller and arranged a time to check out the car. Aside from a few tiny problems (half assed manual conversion in japan), the car ran great and had recently had a new paint job done, no rust what so ever! And the selling point for me was the fact it's a hardtop, I despise sunroofs.

Long story short, I am now in posession of 2 great ZZ chassis cars. The Soarer becoming my new Summer car and the SC400 staying as a project for the both of us. Seeing as my dad used to build a bunch of v8's back in the 80's and used to own quite a few muscle cars, he's very inclined to drop a 454 Big Block we have at home into the SC400. Will keep you guys up to date on that when it happens or if he changes his mind.

As of today, the SC is being stripped down to metal and all the body is being prepped to be painted sometime next year. The Soarer is getting maintence done, needs a rear main seal and valve cover gaskets replaced.

Older pic of the sc400, it's all gutted internally now and the front end along with trunk and roof have been stripped and primed to protect them prior to body work.

Introduction!  Already had an SC, Picked up a Soarer-sc1.jpg

Here's a pic of the Soarer the day after I got it. That's my daily Celica behind it.

Introduction!  Already had an SC, Picked up a Soarer-_rob3803.jpg

Cleaned up the engine bay, it was coated in dirt and grime

Introduction!  Already had an SC, Picked up a Soarer-soarer1.jpg

The interior is pretty good, the door panels have cracks. Very poor plastic, going to try to repair them from the back. Ignore the shifter, they ziptied a boot to the auto surround and just cut a hole in it. Will be fixing that once I can order the parts to put the shifter where it's supposed to be. It has a bracket fabbed up now.

Introduction!  Already had an SC, Picked up a Soarer-soarer2.jpg

I test fitted a set of 19's that were included. Not sure I like them, would trade for a set of 18's if someone was interested. They are MRR GT-1's. The back tires are toast, but the fronts are almost brand new.

Introduction!  Already had an SC, Picked up a Soarer-soarer3.jpg

Yes, I know I need to lower it, looking for some coils now.

Anyways, figured I should finally introduce myself and hopefully can contribute to the forum.

Thanks!
Old 08-02-10, 06:53 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Very nice! Looks great congrats!
Old 08-02-10, 08:00 PM
timber1426
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

welcome bro, looks pretty clean.
Old 08-02-10, 08:24 PM
PR0PH37
Rookie

Pretty awesome. I picked mine up today for $1,500!!! It's an SC400 but it runs good. Negatives: No A/C. Will get that fixed next week and I'll have rims in about 2 months.

Love the color on yours and the wheels look great.
Old 08-03-10, 02:27 PM
RobStar86
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys! Yeah, I'm loving boost very much. Coming from my celica, it's just hard to describe the difference in power. Puts a huge smile on my face.

@ PR0PH37, Congrats on yours, my A/C in the Soarer isn't working either. The clutch for the compressor doesn't kick on when I turn the A/C on. Gotta figure that one out.
Old 08-03-10, 02:45 PM
PR0PH37
Rookie

Bump that. Rims will come in this week or so. Took the wife for a ride. She wasn't feeling good. Got in the car and the first thing was a smile on her face. She loved it and now wants one of her own. When we got back from the drive she said, "I hate to say this but: You gotta put some wheels on this!" LOL might have the wheels before the A/C. You gotta look good!

Oh, and by the way, Toyota said it would be close to $3,000 to fix the A/C.!!!! Called my mechanic and he said $450...go figure!
Old 08-03-10, 05:22 PM
jintei
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

F dealership. Congratz on the purchase. Love the color.

We both own same cars (7th gen celi & sc).
Old 08-03-10, 05:58 PM
megamax
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

freaking you.. you are the man.. 2 sc's and a celica..
Old 08-03-10, 07:06 PM
Vintage91
Driver School Candidate

Nice Soarer, congrats on the purchase - fantastic car! I got mine for near the same price. Cool to see another Canadian Soarer owner here, there's a bunch of us!

$3000 to fix the A/C, or to replace every component in the system?!?! Damn. Mine doesn't work either, but my windows do! You don't really need the A/C in ON anyway....The dealer just doesn't want to touch your car....I wouldn't let them either.
Old 08-03-10, 07:43 PM
RobStar86
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jintei
F dealership. Congratz on the purchase. Love the color.

We both own same cars (7th gen celi & sc).
Yeah, you post on newcelica.org. I saw your Celica on there, Really nice. Mine is pretty much stock, not really looking to do much with it since it's my daily.

Will you be selling any Soarer/SC kits at all? I know you sell a ton for the Celica.

Originally Posted by megamax
freaking you.. you are the man.. 2 sc's and a celica..
Haha, thanks man. I have been very patient to get the cars I want. They are far from perfect, but I'm happy with what I have.

Originally Posted by Vintage91
Nice Soarer, congrats on the purchase - fantastic car! I got mine for near the same price. Cool to see another Canadian Soarer owner here, there's a bunch of us!

$3000 to fix the A/C, or to replace every component in the system?!?! Damn. Mine doesn't work either, but my windows do! You don't really need the A/C in ON anyway....The dealer just doesn't want to touch your car....I wouldn't let them either.
Awesome man! I wouldn't mind meeting more of the Canadian owners. Don't know any as of yet.

Yeah, I went by the local Toyota dealership here and they didn't even know what I had. I had to spell out the name of the car and they still had no clue. Also, since it's old, they won't touch the A/C system.

I don't mind it not working, but lately, with the heat we've been having, I'd love to have A/C in it. Thankfully the Celica has working A/C still.
Old 08-10-10, 06:46 PM
RobStar86
Driver School Candidate

Update!

Picked up a set of Stern ST-1's 18 x 8.5, 18 x 9.5 for $300 in great condition!

I have to say, they'll look quite good on the Soarer.

Now to find some tires
Old 08-10-10, 06:59 PM
theory5150
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice soarer, looks really clean