Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

AWD Supra / Lexus sc / Mk3 kits

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-10, 05:51 PM
$hogunn
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
ok so im thinking old school setup. obviously i dont know you or ur capabilities but its the same principle more or less. i dont see it holding that much power still or how the front diff is going to be a bol on affair, but i guess because you have xxxx hp supra i should take it as a fact. you should really just do it instead of outlining prices and options for something no one has ever seen before.
will do.

and as far as prices go, i was entertaining questions, not taking orders.

i have front differential upgrades for the plus 650hp club, and others for the plus 800hp club.

but im on it. just checking demand.

Last edited by $hogunn; 07-08-10 at 06:11 PM.
Old 07-08-10, 06:17 PM
xxtoobsxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds cool...i can rallye my sc. get my buddy's m6 off the line and scare some evo's n sti's in the corners. if only i had a better job...cant wait too see it!
Old 07-08-10, 06:21 PM
romycha1
Lead Lap

What kind of timeframe are you looking at before releasing any prototypes?
Old 07-08-10, 07:21 PM
T4-Teg
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If AWD is so badass, how come there arnt any 6 second quarter mile AWD cars? I wonder why all the drag cars are RWD?

Yes this mod would be great for my grandma driving in the rain or snow, im sure it would be much safer than RWD. Other than that what good is it? Who races in the rain or snow, besides the ricer Honda ppl?

Why spend 6-10k on a AWD setup, when our RWD platforms are tried and true? I guess you would get a cool unique factor, but thats about it..
Old 07-08-10, 07:21 PM
Dr.Fate
Pole Position

I think you would sell this kit like hot cakes if you:
1. Make a kit for w58's because you know When in Rome..........
2. Make a kit for folks that have there own 5 speed without a core charge as an option, shipping back and forth a transmission does not sound like fun. Plus If you own a modified transmission The last thing you would want DO is send it out to have someone take the modified internals out and put them in your transmission, It's just not cost effective for the seller or the buyer. P.S. You don't want to responsible if somebody says you messed up there transmission right?
Old 07-08-10, 08:13 PM
matrixgts
Lead Lap

All i can say is goodluck and hopefully i run into you since i'm going to be around bragg alot this summer.But i do recall, you saying that you maybe moving a little west.
Old 07-08-10, 08:45 PM
Klaus
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by T4-Teg
If AWD is so badass, how come there arnt any 6 second quarter mile AWD cars? I wonder why all the drag cars are RWD?

Yes this mod would be great for my grandma driving in the rain or snow, im sure it would be much safer than RWD. Other than that what good is it? Who races in the rain or snow, besides the ricer Honda ppl?

Why spend 6-10k on a AWD setup, when our RWD platforms are tried and true? I guess you would get a cool unique factor, but thats about it..
Something tells me you don't know the first thing about what it takes to get a car into the 6 second range, so please enlighten us as to why you wouldn't want AWD because you think it will keep you from running 6 second quarter mile times

Have you ever driven a high horsepower RWD car in the rain or on slick pavement? Better yet, do you even own a high horsepower car that you have had your hard earned money and wrench time into? No? This isn't about racing, this is about control under the many conditions that a grand touring car could encounter. But I guess you know something that Audi (Lamborghini), Bentley, Nissan (why is their flagship race car AWD?), and Porsche don't. People that own those AWD cars must be ricer who race in the rain LOL
Old 07-08-10, 09:37 PM
Vadim540i
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

+1, rwd is superior. All racing series cars F1, Gt etc are rwd. Rally cars are awd but they are for totally diff roads.
Old 07-08-10, 09:53 PM
meangreen1
Lexus Test Driver

Cool! A buddy and I were going to try this on his S14 with an RB25. Keep us updated
Old 07-08-10, 10:13 PM
myke441990
Driver

Subscribed. Would like to see some progress.
Old 07-08-10, 11:53 PM
attzor
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Klaus
Something tells me you don't know the first thing about what it takes to get a car into the 6 second range, so please enlighten us as to why you wouldn't want AWD because you think it will keep you from running 6 second quarter mile times

Have you ever driven a high horsepower RWD car in the rain or on slick pavement? Better yet, do you even own a high horsepower car that you have had your hard earned money and wrench time into? No? This isn't about racing, this is about control under the many conditions that a grand touring car could encounter. But I guess you know something that Audi (Lamborghini), Bentley, Nissan (why is their flagship race car AWD?), and Porsche don't. People that own those AWD cars must be ricer who race in the rain LOL
Drove in the rain once in my old 1jz car, hit a gaurdrail at 30mph. Also, IIRC, wider tires have less traction in rain than skinnier tires.
I voted no though, I wouldn't spend the money on an SC, definatly would for a supra, but before I'd buy an AWD car before I'd do it on an sc.

Last edited by attzor; 07-08-10 at 11:57 PM.
Old 07-09-10, 08:36 AM
Klaus
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Vadim540i
+1, rwd is superior. All racing series cars F1, Gt etc are rwd. Rally cars are awd but they are for totally diff roads.
Also different roads- pure bred race cars drive on asphalt we could only dream of. They are using racing slicks that are not DOT legal and are under stringent weight limits in many classes. AWD is not worth the weight for those cars because they are able to have perfect traction conditions- unreal downforce, perfect pavement, and super sticky tires with a wear rating worse than a diaper. RWD doesn't have any advantage over AWD except for weight, plain and simple. The AWD advantages far outweigh the disadvantages for a street car, and even in many racing applications- Audi and Nissan are big on using AWD if the class allows it.
Old 07-09-10, 04:01 PM
T4-Teg
Driver

To answer your questions politely yes, I work on my own cars, i've been ASE Certified tech for YEARS, so yes I guess I know a little something about cars. If I didn't I probably wouldn't make 40k plus a year on flat rate work...

Yes I've built/driven/owned many RWD cars upwards of 500whp, and yes they can be a handful on slick roads if you don't know how to drive(this mainly refurs to larger V8 engines that actually make TQ before 1500rpms).

You speak of high HP cars being in control in wet conditions. By your sig, im assuming your speaking from experence from your supra? If so, keep your foot out of the gas, and don't go into boost, and you wont have any problems. Not very hard.. Cmon guy, thats common sence. That is the chance you take when you build a high HP vehicle, you obviously loose some of the stock-like drivability. So yes, if you cant drive, and get into the throttle on slick roads, of course you will loose traction.

You refur to grand touring cars, and the conditions they endur, therefor you are refuring to RACING yourself... hmmmm, kinda defeats your purpose to reply to my comment.

Throughout this thread, MANY people have been refuring to RACING, not just DDing. I already said this AWD setup would be great for when its raining for my grandmother. I guess you could reply by sayin AWD is better for rally racing or another motorsport like it, then yes, you would be correct. But for 90% of the supra/SC owners, we don't rally race our cars.

Thanks bud, I look forward to your reply.
Old 07-09-10, 05:59 PM
Dr.Fate
Pole Position

To answer your questions politely yes, I work on my own cars, i've been ASE Certified tech for YEARS, so yes I guess I know a little something about cars. If I didn't I probably wouldn't make 40k plus a year on flat rate work...

Yes I've built/driven/owned many RWD cars upwards of 500whp, and yes they can be a handful on slick roads if you don't know how to drive(this mainly refurs to larger V8 engines that actually make TQ before 1500rpms).

You speak of high HP cars being in control in wet conditions. By your sig, im assuming your speaking from experence from your supra? If so, keep your foot out of the gas, and don't go into boost, and you wont have any problems. Not very hard.. Cmon guy, thats common sence. That is the chance you take when you build a high HP vehicle, you obviously loose some of the stock-like drivability. So yes, if you cant drive, and get into the throttle on slick roads, of course you will loose traction.

You refur to grand touring cars, and the conditions they endur, therefor you are refuring to RACING yourself... hmmmm, kinda defeats your purpose to reply to my comment.

Throughout this thread, MANY people have been refuring to RACING, not just DDing. I already said this AWD setup would be great for when its raining for my grandmother. I guess you could reply by sayin AWD is better for rally racing or another motorsport like it, then yes, you would be correct. But for 90% of the supra/SC owners, we don't rally race our cars.

Thanks bud, I look forward to your reply.

Both of you gents have good points, period. I would like to know how would this product handle D.D.? And what about the 5-6 speed v8 brothers? I'm just covering all bases here. $hogunn why diss the w58? It's a good transmission if treated well with the right modifications it's a great one, make an w58 option, trust me it would sell.
Old 07-09-10, 09:20 PM
$hogunn
Driver

Originally Posted by romycha1
What kind of timeframe are you looking at before releasing any prototypes?
b4 years end.

Quick Reply: AWD Supra / Lexus sc / Mk3 kits