SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

I ahve a question for the SC experts...!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-10, 07:30 PM
CAsclover
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question I ahve a question for the SC experts...!!

Hello everyone I don't know my way around this website but I really need some advice so any help is appreciated.!

I have a question as to whether I should keep my car or sell it and search for a new one (same model, obviously). Around New Years, I found a great deal on craigslist for a 1992 Lexus SC400. The seller wanted $2600, I paid him $24 for it. It has 201,xxx miles on it but he said it runs great. It has a salvaged title and he said some of the body had been replaced like the door and back bumper. I took it for a test drive and bought it because I did not notice anything serious and I didn't want to pass up that deal. Plus I had already fallen in love with the car.

Now, 6 months later, it is still running fine, but there are a few problems I know of:

1. The lower control arm bushings (or something like that) need to be replaced, because the whole front suspension clunks when I go in reverse and release the brake pedal. I already know this is going to be an expensive fix but I am not sure exactly how much for parts and labor altogether.
2. The coolant reservoir tank is cracked and it leaks. To order one from the dealership will cost me $380.
3. The dashboard lights are halfway out, so the dash lights are very dim. The needles do not light up. Some lights, like the seatbelt & oil light, do not come on at all (either burnt out or bad fuse, etc.). I already know it costs an arm and a leg to fix dash lights.
4. And I don't know what it is, it might be my rims, but it smells like burning rubber every time I turn the car off and get out.

I paid $2,400 for the car, and it has very high miles, but I haven't had any engine problems so far; nor has it left me stranded anywhere.
I already know I want to have an SC400 for a LONG time...! I just don't know if I should put money into my current car with its salvaged title and high mileage, or if I should start my search again for a new one in better condition. I get a different response from everyone I ask.
Old 06-18-10, 08:15 PM
jjffyy
Lead Lap

Well it depends if you can sell that one as is first. But me personally i would just fix it up especially if you say that the engine is still running strong. Most of your problems can be solved with a little research here and a trip to the junk yard.
Old 06-18-10, 08:29 PM
msc300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

lca bushing common prob not that expensive order a bushings kit from prothane or get supra lca's reservoir you can get in classified section on her cheap or junkyard
Old 06-18-10, 08:32 PM
scviolence
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sell that ****...really...just get another one if you have to save some money then do it and buy the car you want..
Old 06-18-10, 08:39 PM
CAsclover
Driver School Candidate

Yeah... I'm not positive that the engine runs strong (because I have not taken the car for a diagnostic yet), and I am definitely no mechanic, but it hasn't appeared to have any problems when I drive it.

Another problem is, when I am driving and I let off the gas pedal, it makes a strange sound that fades away as the car coasts and slows down. When I push on the gas, the sound goes away completely. Every time I let off the gas it makes that sound and every time I push the gas again, it goes completely silent. Its somewhat like a purring sound, but not a good purr.

I am leaning towards selling it and finding a new one because I do not want to invest more money in a car that is not going to last, but its just Soo hard finding a really nice SC400 that has not been abused and has lower miles.!
Old 06-18-10, 08:41 PM
CAsclover
Driver School Candidate

And thanks everyone for the feedback !
Old 06-18-10, 09:37 PM
ZPEED
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by scviolence
sell that ****...really...just get another one if you have to save some money then do it and buy the car you want..
i agree , too much headache for that car !
Old 06-19-10, 06:13 AM
B1TEM3
Pole Position

If you have the time, the first 3 are not hard to fix. Depending on how long
do you intend to keep the car.

1) You can get lca assembly (bushing and lower control arm), You can get them from Aliga or RJ, I also have extra pair (left and right) for sale, let me look on my garage. You just need to jack you car and swap the whole arms.
2) You can get the radiator resevoir from Aliga or RJ too.
3) Dashlight is very common issue for SC and some other lexus too. The cheapest is getting the light bulbs replaced, it not hard to do. If you want something fancy the lextech can do the waterfall LED thing for 99 bucks +shipping. www.lextech.org
4) The burning rubber thing, I ve been a mechanic for a long time, this can be easy fix like:
- checking under the car, make sure no shoping plastic bag sticking on the exhaust
- Rims with wrong offset causing tires rubbing on suspension components
- to something else.
Old 06-19-10, 08:31 AM
Matador
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Id ditch the car. Its really not worth pouring money into that car, especially with the salvage title. You can find one in better condition for pretty cheap, these things are selling for 4-6k with good titles.
Old 06-19-10, 10:13 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts

I would go with a new SC. I wouldn't drop any more money into it with that high of mileage. Maybe keep it around as a daily driver or something and get a nicer SC or something.
Old 06-20-10, 12:06 AM
CAsclover
Driver School Candidate

Ok thanks people.

And thanks B1TEM3 I think the burning rubber is because of my rims with the wrong offset. They are 245/35/20 are those supposed to fit right? I can do full U turns with the rims, they very rarely rub but that's got to be what the smell is coming from.
If 245/35 is not the correct size for 20" on an SC then can someone please let me know what it is so I can put the right size rims on ?
Old 06-20-10, 12:50 AM
dAng_bAy
Lead Lap

I say keep it and fix your problems one at a time. Probably will lose alot more money trying to selling it as is, unless you manage to sell it for 2k... burning rubber? some, plastic may caught onto some thing hot. like as if a plastic bag got caught on your exhaust or some thing...? try to find the strong source of the odor...
Old 06-20-10, 01:51 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

^^^ I concur

You may have to fix those problems anyways before selling, and when you do, you'll have to cut your losses. But hey, if you have money to burn and for your peace of mind, ditch the car