Accident :-( --- Shifter and Power Steering Issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-10, 03:30 PM
labtec
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Accident :-( --- Shifter and Power Steering Issues

I need help guys.

I got into an accident on my way back home – my fault. The car was drivable and I got home just fine but the power steering starting getting tight and making a humming noise. I opened the hood and there was fluid in the power steering reservoir and all around it (looked like it was leaking!). Could this have been caused by the accident? Both cars only had bumper damage.

Second issue – my shifter won’t go into park and I can’t pull out the key. If I force the shifter into park, I can take out the key and it locks into place. However, when I put the key back in, the bottom is very hard to push and the shifter falls back into the reverse position (the gear light is still in park). The light doesn’t correspond with the shifter position.
Please help – have I gotten myself into a big mess mechanically?

thx --- poor start to the weekend
Old 05-28-10, 05:25 PM
nfordhk
Lead Lap

Well how bad bumper damage? Im assuming front. Could have damaged power steering pump
Old 05-28-10, 05:31 PM
labtec
Driver

Originally Posted by nfordhk
Well how bad bumper damage? Im assuming front. Could have damaged power steering pump
Yeh -- it was the front.

the front bumper is cracked in one spot and the bonnet is slighted raised. the lights are still good.
Old 05-28-10, 05:54 PM
nfordhk
Lead Lap

Pictures would help but if it was fine before the accident and now is leaking probably damaged it in accident.
Old 05-28-10, 06:47 PM
labtec
Driver

will try and get pics up -- taking it to the shop tomorrow
Old 05-28-10, 07:52 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I believe if we saw some pictures, we could help you out more to determine the cause of your problems.
Old 05-28-10, 09:40 PM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by labtec
I need help guys.

I got into an accident on my way back home – my fault. The car was drivable and I got home just fine but the power steering starting getting tight and making a humming noise. I opened the hood and there was fluid in the power steering reservoir and all around it (looked like it was leaking!). Could this have been caused by the accident? Both cars only had bumper damage.

Second issue – my shifter won’t go into park and I can’t pull out the key. If I force the shifter into park, I can take out the key and it locks into place. However, when I put the key back in, the bottom is very hard to push and the shifter falls back into the reverse position (the gear light is still in park). The light doesn’t correspond with the shifter position.
Please help – have I gotten myself into a big mess mechanically?

thx --- poor start to the weekend
Originally Posted by labtec
Yeh -- it was the front.

the front bumper is cracked in one spot and the bonnet is slighted raised. the lights are still good.
The PS leak could easily be caused by the accident.

But more importantly, if you hit hard enough to buckle the hood (bonnet ), and your engine and tranny mounts were already shot by age and mileage beforehand, then you may well have shifted the engine and transmission forward on it's mounts during the impact causing the tranny linkage to bind up where it passes through the tranny tunnel. This could explain the difficulty putting it into park.
Old 05-29-10, 12:34 AM
need2boost
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

see if you are leaking transmission fluid from the radiator....the power steering hose could have been punctured as welll....
Old 06-03-10, 02:54 PM
labtec
Driver

so...finally got the car back today. Both the power steering pump and the rack-and-pinion were leaking. Got both changed for $700.

Still having trouble with the shifter not aligning up. In order to take the key out of the ignition, I have to physically push the shifter towards the front and remove the key. I was hoping it was something I could take a look at before going to the shop -- any suggestions?

thanks