SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

What is happening to our cars?

Old 05-27-10, 03:15 PM
eliteskill
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ so like who is that directed to? because pretty much I dont understand who here is defending "ricers". I cant remember or not but I remember seeing a similar banner like yours on Supra Forums that said "Club Lexus Ricer Approved." If thats you why post here anymore if there are so many ricers now.

I could have built 2-3 Civics (and have built civics before) like the ones xknowonex posted up for the price of my 1 SC. I do think it is much more expensive compared to a civic. I have respect for tastefully modded cars, any car can be changed to something tasteless.
Old 05-27-10, 03:27 PM
scviolence
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

lol can we put in a close request lol....honestly dont give a sh!!t what anyones car looks like anymore lol...i like mine...FTW....
Old 05-27-10, 03:31 PM
WingsofWar
Driver School Candidate

what a funny topic, such an age old debate. I am in several different car forums and I see this sort of topic in every lounge, general chat, debate.

I like how the word rice/ricerockets are just being thrown around assuming everyone has clear definition of what it is. There are several people who believe that anything that is manufactured in Asia is rice, regardless if it has 0 miles and exited out of the assembly line. There are also people with specific definitions within car culture and different definitions between car enthusiasts. Its an awkwardly fluid word.

Going back to OPs rant, RUIN is true if you have a strong bias against anything that deviates from your personal taste in style. Or a better word is ART.
Cars are like an open canvas, others like yourself may see the beauty of a blank page. Some might want a bit of contrast, or an explosion of conflicting shapes and colors. Then using retarded terms like VIP/CLEAN/RICE to tag, categorize or stigmatize peoples efforts. Like many art critics they would say that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Not to put you down or anyone on the thread down, I just find it funny how easy it is to rant and project their own biases and not being respectful about it.

BTW You guys are awesome
Old 05-27-10, 04:54 PM
boostd4
Driver

Originally Posted by xknowonex
Just to prove my point with the Honda scene.

Here is just a few fine examples from last year:

(Whole bunch of Hondas)
Kids cars. Every last one of them. Not to say that there aren't a lot of clean examples, but there's not a single one of those cars that I would say, "A reputable adult owns this car."

I don't know... for me, the SC was never a "kids car" or "starter car," and that's part of what earns it the respect it has/had.

When these cars came out, people (besides daddy-bought-me's) who purchased them had SUCCEEDED in life to a certain extent. They'd paid their dues and could afford a luxurious reward. Like most, I'm sure they started with an econobox when they were 16, or a used car that got them around.

What's killed these cars today is that the primary buyers are SKIPPING the part about succeeding in life, or working their way up to a luxury vehicle, and it shows.

I bought my $6,500 Lexus because I needed a cheap, reliable, nice daily driver. It's clean and mostly stock (save coilovers and GS350 wheels). I've had my econoboxes, kid's cars, and toys. I'm not pretending that my pay-with-cash "beater" is something it's not, but I'm surely not trying to make it something other than it was inteded.
Old 05-27-10, 05:25 PM
SCrollinSD
Pole Position

^^ relax man. there are plenty of "reputable adults" with hondas just like those. and yes, they are beautiful. get over it.

IT DOESNT MATTER how much any car costs, how much it is supposed to have cost at one point in time, or whether or not it's a "kids car".... which is BS to begin with man. honestly.

it's about the time, decdication, attention to detail, and care that goes into a car. no matter what make or model. the end result will define itself. you might not like low offset wheels, but don't even begin to say that those cars aren't built with all of the above and then some.

honda love, nissan love, mazda love, toyota/lexus love. it's all the same.

far too much superiority complex going around. why can't we all appreciate nice cars?

Last edited by SCrollinSD; 05-27-10 at 05:29 PM.
Old 05-27-10, 05:26 PM
Ethix
Driver

Originally Posted by boostd4
not pretending that my pay-with-cash "beater" is something it's not, but I'm surely not trying to make it something other than it was inteded.
This is the part that I think causes the most disagreements. What was this car intended for?

It's a coupe, so it's not really the most practical for luxury purposes. I'd buy a GS or LS if I was looking for something luxurious.

It's kind of big and heavy, so it's not the most performance oriented car in stock form.

I think the difference is that some people view these in the same light as a GS or LS and others view them the same way as a Supra, 300zx or even a 240sx to an extent.

I"ve always looked at them as being similar to an NA Supra or NA 300zx. FR, auto or 5speed option, heavy, but with lots of performance potential. It's a Toyota with leather seats to me.
Old 05-27-10, 05:36 PM
boostd4
Driver

Originally Posted by Ethix
This is the part that I think causes the most disagreements. What was this car intended for?
Originally Posted by SCrollinSD
far too much superiority complex going around.
There's your answer.

Do you think Toyota made the Lexus brand because they wanted to make a car that was Sportier than others, or better than other cars at doing a specific thing?

I don't. I think Toyota made the Lexus brand to cater SPECIFICALLY to the superiority complex, otherwise we'd all be driving Toyota Soarers here in the states.
Old 05-27-10, 05:48 PM
Ethix
Driver

Originally Posted by boostd4
There's your answer.

Do you think Toyota made the Lexus brand because they wanted to make a car that was Sportier than others, or better than other cars at doing a specific thing?

I don't. I think Toyota made the Lexus brand to cater SPECIFICALLY to the superiority complex, otherwise we'd all be driving Toyota Soarers here in the states.
Pretty much. I don't live in Japan, but from what I've seen in japanese car magazines and on the internet, they seem to be looked at more as sports coupes than as luxury coupes in Japan.

Originally Posted by Ethix
It's a Toyota with leather seats to me.
Old 05-27-10, 05:50 PM
boostd4
Driver

Originally Posted by SCrollinSD
it's about the time, decdication, attention to detail, and care that goes into a car. no matter what make or model. the end result will define itself. you might not like low offset wheels, but don't even begin to say that those cars aren't built with all of the above and then some.
Time, dedication, and attention to detail don't always = respect. Sadly, as humans we stereotype. There's no fighting it. It's pure darwinism at it's finest. When cavemen had to fight to survive, you learned by association what animals were bad, what plants were bad to eat... does that mean every type of that animal was a maneater? No... Will you die from eating every similar plant? No... but associating things kept you alive.

Those instincts are a part of our human nature. It's the same reason Bill Cosby went on the crazy rant about how the black wannabe-gangbanger-pants-saggin crowd was keeping African Americans from being accepted in society. Are all black people gang-banging-future-inmates? Of course not, but when everyone wants to look like one, the poeple who are trying to keep their head held high get brought down with them.

Am I a fat-***? Nope, but the rest of the world would assume I was having never seen me because Americans are stereotyped as fat hillbillies.

All I'm trying to say is that our cars have EARNED a good reputation. There are a lot of us owners that bought the car because of its reputation and how it's perceived.

I'm not going to turn my SC into some crazy dorifto beater, but if every else does, it will change the cars reputation.
Old 05-27-10, 06:28 PM
scviolence
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

awwww booo hooo he put 27's on his sc and painted it funny colors....for the love of this site can we please just close this thread already...are we waiting for someone to drop the race bomb or something??? i think im just gonna stay off this site for memorial day weekend and hope whEn i log back in, this thread is not on the top...again...wtf happened to hey look i bought a gte and im putting it in threads, or oo hey i did this diy...SERIOUSLY PLEASE CLOSE THIS ****!! so ****ing sick of the whining....give me some new mod ideas or something please!!!! cut the damn wah wah cry baby **** out already.....if your 40 with a civic i can give a **** honestly...well thats it ill be back in 4 days gl with shutting this damn thread down...
can not believe this **** has almost 2000 views but a guy trying to build his car maybe get 300 lol and no im not talking about my thread either i havent done anything to my car ina while...jus saying its bull****...how bout we help the guy out with suspension questions or the guy with the alternator problem...

Last edited by scviolence; 05-27-10 at 06:38 PM.
Old 05-27-10, 06:38 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts

in before the lock