SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

What is happening to our cars?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-10, 05:32 PM
texan_176
Intermediate

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

What's going to occur with SCs in the next 5-10 years is that a huge number of them will get the primer body with cheap body kit on them as others have said. Neglect and lack of being unable to afford proper care is another thing that will occur.

With all of that many of them will come off the road forever when something that costs over $1000 to repair breaks.

All the more reason to maintain yours, restore with OEM parts while you can still get them, and keep it looking good.

Peak SCs in junkyard is almost here if not already.

The most sad case I ever saw was a 95 SC400 black on tan in a yard. The car had been vandalized. All broken glass, kicked panels, cut leather, busted locks, etc... The paint on the hood and roof as burned off and it looked so bad.

I thought "wow...how sad....it was a $50K car once and the pride and joy of its owner....now it just rots here".
Old 05-25-10, 05:46 PM
djyoshi626
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by texan_176
Neglect and lack of being unable to afford proper care is another thing that will occur.

With all of that many of them will come off the road forever when something that costs over $1000 to repair breaks.

Exactly what happened to mine, my car was already poorly repaired by a previous owner who got into an accident, when I went to get an alignment done, a lady hit my car and the repair cost $2,500 or more than half of what I bought the car for, just yesterday I noticed someone hit and dented by front grille, popped it out of place and now I can't put it back in correctly: "hit and run" I suppose, it's gotten to a point where I don't even MAINTAIN the car (visually) anymore because it's so old and worn out. It's really sad as I use to baby the car, but what was the point when it was already screwed up to begin with. When I get my next SC, that will be my prized possession and I can truly care for it, rather than picking up whatever pieces the previous owner(s) left behind.
Old 05-25-10, 06:03 PM
texan_176
Intermediate

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by djyoshi626
Exactly what happened to mine, my car was already poorly repaired by a previous owner who got into an accident, when I went to get an alignment done, a lady hit my car and the repair cost $2,500 or more than half of what I bought the car for, just yesterday I noticed someone hit and dented by front grille, popped it out of place and now I can't put it back in correctly: "hit and run" I suppose, it's gotten to a point where I don't even MAINTAIN the car (visually) anymore because it's so old and worn out. It's really sad as I use to baby the car, but what was the point when it was already screwed up to begin with. When I get my next SC, that will be my prized possession and I can truly care for it, rather than picking up whatever pieces the previous owner(s) left behind.
That's exactly what happend with my first MR2. I was in college in 1999 and the second gen MR2s were selling for $7-9K for the NAs and $12K+ for the turbos. I was broke as hell and found one for sale near work for $2200.

Test drove it....tires were bald as hell, it had hesitation, a/c was broken, and an oil leak was present.

I should have walked the hell away but ended up buying it for $1900. BIG MISTAKE. I poured in money trying to polish the turd. Over the 5 years I had it I must have put in at least 5 grand. That's enough to have waited and scored a turbo with high miles in 2004 for about 7 grand.

I ran a carfax on it years after I sold it and found it had been titled in 6 states...had like 7 owners....and been issued a salvage title in 2 of the 6 states.

NEVER buying problems is rule #1 of car buying.
Old 05-25-10, 06:27 PM
theory5150
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree completely with this staement. Dont leave us though, if you do who is going to tell people what is and is not ricey... God, i hope my car isnt ricey and I just think its cool...
Old 05-25-10, 06:56 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by soulific
I agree with the main concern of this thread. Which is, we don't want the SC to become under valued and similar to civics.
Uh, you're too late!
Old 05-25-10, 07:10 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by eliteskill
First page. Look for the thing that doesnt look like a Integra lol..
I saw it. It took me a while to figure out what I was looking at. How did you get all of that stuff from different cars to fit on there?

Originally Posted by Ethix
You could name pretty much any car and we could go out into the interwebs and find 5 pictures of that model riced out. People need to relax about other people's cars.

Yes, people build SC's for drifting. Yes, there are other cars that are better suited for it in stock form. No, all drifters should not be forced to drive 240sx's so as not to hurt the resale value on a 15 year old luxury/sport coupe that sells on average <$5000. SC's look better, JZ>SR+KA, they have a bigger interior for tall guys, etc. If I ever build a car for drifting it'll probably be an SC...or a cressida because I wouldn't feel as bad crashing a cressida.

These cars are old and cheap. As such, they are now fair game for modding.
Now that I think about it, if a clean, "tasteful" SC was at the track drifting, I would have to say that would be super cool. If I had the power and an extra, clean SC, I would consider drifting with it. I guess I'd rather drift in the SC, but a 240 seems soooo much easier.
Old 05-25-10, 08:32 PM
SCrollinSD
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^ the main thing the 240 has going for it over the SC is weight distribution stock for stock. to make a drift SC truly functional, you'll more than likely need to gut the interior and add power. with a 240, you can slap some coils and a welded diff. on and start learning right away. the SC does not have quite the same natural steering input response that the S-chassis' have. The SC feels very much heavier and it is much harder to be precise with your countersteering and throttle input. that said, it is much easier to have a "daily drifter" 240 than an SC. but I'm kinda over owning an s13. after two of them, although great fun, I'd rather have a better all around car in the SC. when i get mad cash someday, I can afford to build the perfect car for me, or several of them
Old 05-25-10, 10:23 PM
ArizonaSC
Driver School Candidate

Umm....you're 10 years too late.

Don't drive a car that can be had for a few thousand if you want something unmolested.

People have riced out far nicer cars than our SC's.
Old 05-25-10, 10:31 PM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

One funny thing that I noticed is the Honda bashing on this thread.

Have you guys been or seen the cars from the annual Eibach meet?

Modifying an "econobox" might not be everyones thing on here but the number of nice cars there outnumber the number of nice cars on here by far.

Building a nice Civic or Integra with a K-Series is far from cheap.

Originally Posted by JDMmuscle
What about buying big wheels and going wide body ?
That is completely different

Originally Posted by Vadim540i
Agreed. Same crap is happening to e36, e39 BMWs for example. Price goes down, and more ricers are able to afford it and then you see something like this.

(source: Bimmerfest forums/fest '10)

As ugly as that might be, it is probably in better condition than many of the cars on here. It is his pride and joy lol
Old 05-25-10, 10:41 PM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Just to prove my point with the Honda scene.

Here is just a few fine examples from last year:

Old 05-25-10, 11:11 PM
SCrollinSD
Pole Position

^^ love. especially the DC's.
Old 05-25-10, 11:15 PM
Luxor
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

I agree, back in 2005 when I was lurking the forum. I saw people here treating the SC like a LEXUS. This is what made me buy an SC because it was known and treated as a luxury cruise mobile.

Now it's known as a cheap drift 240 replacement with a 2 JAY ZEE!

Seeing stuff nowadays like neon green calipers and ebay tail lights every day makes me want to sell my car and move on..
Old 05-25-10, 11:23 PM
jimmyXthai
Lead Lap

damn, some of you guys take this stuff seriously and are coming off really snobby
Old 05-26-10, 12:51 AM
2turbo1sup
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

People think they can buy class, so they dish out $2000 (of their parent's money) on a bucket SC and think they're parking lot pimps with their baller LEXUZ

I mean, check out the "pics of ur cars prior to your SC"

Look at the most popular modifications to these cars:
Home Depot front lip
JB weld window regulator fix
Spray painted interior

And the most common DIY question asked is "what is the cheapest and easiest way to solve my problem!?".

SCs are the new civics sadly, and you will be hard pressed to find a genuinely clean and well done examples out there. The name of the game in these forums is ghetto-rigging, and any broke kid with enough cash from their allowance will have the support of others like them in their pipe-dreams quest to have the lamest SC in existence while getting some *pounds chest* mad respect dawg.

Its the misguided pursuit of being different that lowers the bar to ricer status, and the SC forums never fails to find a new low

Last edited by 2turbo1sup; 05-26-10 at 01:05 AM.
Old 05-26-10, 01:26 AM
Ethix
Driver

Originally Posted by jimmyXthai
damn, some of you guys take this stuff seriously and are coming off really snobby
Agreed. I guess the only acceptable appearance modifications are 97+ conversions, wheels (but not too wide or big), and a drop (but not too low).

My favorite looking SC ever must be completely unacceptable by forum standards.

Quick Reply: What is happening to our cars?