SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Clunking noise from right front end?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-10, 10:35 AM
djrazr
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clunking noise from right front end?

Swapped out my stock suspension, for TT stock suspension, and i noticed that i will get a small clunking sound coming from the right end. It comes and goes, and i hear it more over speed bumps and rough roads. Everything looked fine on installation, nothing is blown and no leaks.

suggestions?
Old 05-12-10, 10:40 AM
1uzgirl
Driver

id check to make sure your top hats are tightened properly to the strut.

may not even be your brakess.
Old 05-12-10, 11:18 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

^^^ and check endlinks and control arm bushings. your car is lower and you suspension is stiffer now. did you get an alignment? shouldn't cause the noise but will help straighten everything up.
Old 05-12-10, 11:25 AM
6SOARER
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I been having this problem ever since I swapped out my suspension to coilovers. I read all and every post there is about this issue. I tried changing out UCA, rack bushings, and taking the whole coilover assymbaly apart to inspect for any abnormailities but the noise still persists..
Old 05-12-10, 11:50 AM
djrazr
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
^^^ and check endlinks and control arm bushings. your car is lower and you suspension is stiffer now. did you get an alignment? shouldn't cause the noise but will help straighten everything up.
Car is lower in the back, but it's a lil higher in the front, than when i had the sc stock suspension. It is stiffer though. It's been a week on the suspension, and i havent driven her much since. Alignment is set for this weekend
Old 05-12-10, 12:08 PM
aka paco
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...em-w-pics.html I

would try this out too..
Old 05-12-10, 12:08 PM
6SOARER
Lexus Test Driver

I forgot to mention, when I got an alignment the noise went away for a few weeks. Car drove like a dream and the noise was gone. A few weeks later, noise came back and the front end feels loose.. Im clueless.
Old 05-12-10, 01:10 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by djrazr
Car is lower in the back, but it's a lil higher in the front, than when i had the sc stock suspension. It is stiffer though. It's been a week on the suspension, and i havent driven her much since. Alignment is set for this weekend
shouldn't really be higher in the front after it has time to settle. If its looks akwardly high then you may have done part of the install wrong.

did you remove the upper control arm pin to install the shocks?
if you did when you put it back did you use the proper torque specs?

If you over torque the upper control arm bolt when the car is up in the air it will keep it from fully settling when its on the ground, and is a good way to rip through your UCA bushings that takes all the stress from it. I did that once by accident, its really easy to do if you are using a breaker bar and not paying attention to the specs. since then I tighten the uca bolt to about 1/2 to 3/4 spec in the air with a torque wrench, and after i drop the car I give it the final tightening.

Originally Posted by eyeSOARER6
I forgot to mention, when I got an alignment the noise went away for a few weeks. Car drove like a dream and the noise was gone. A few weeks later, noise came back and the front end feels loose.. Im clueless.
did you change out the lower control arm bushings or just Uppers?? looseness can be lca, ball joints, and tie rods to name a few.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 05-12-10 at 01:18 PM.
Old 05-12-10, 01:25 PM
6SOARER
Lexus Test Driver

did you change out the lower control arm bushings or just Uppers?? looseness can be lca, ball joints, and tie rods to name a few.

those bushings are a PITA to replace so I bought a used UCA from Algia and replaced it. It didnt really help only after the alignment.

I had the guy check my balljoints and they were fine, Im going to take a look at the LCA next, thanks
Old 05-12-10, 01:29 PM
djrazr
Pole Position

shouldn't really be higher in the front after it has time to settle. If its looks akwardly high then you may have done part of the install wrong.

did you remove the upper control arm pin to install the shocks?
if you did when you put it back did you use the proper torque specs?

If you over torque the upper control arm bolt when the car is up in the air it will keep it from fully settling when its on the ground, and is a good way to rip through your UCA bushings that takes all the stress from it. I did that once by accident, its really easy to do if you are using a breaker bar and not paying attention to the specs. since then I tighten the uca bolt to about 1/2 to 3/4 spec in the air with a torque wrench, and after i drop the car I give it the final tightening.
I have about a 3 1/2" finger gap on both front fenders
I pretty much followed this tutorial
http://www.garage.projectraine.com/c...ng/spring.html
The TT suspension was already put together. I just swapped out the old for the new. I don't even know what the torque specs are, but i use just your basic hand socket wrench, which is what i use, or a snap-on impact wrench which is awesome to have, and i never over torque anything as far as i know of

Last edited by djrazr; 05-12-10 at 01:34 PM.
Old 05-12-10, 01:40 PM
djrazr
Pole Position

Originally Posted by aka paco
will look into this as well..thanks
Old 05-12-10, 03:01 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by eyeSOARER6
those bushings are a PITA to replace so I bought a used UCA from Algia and replaced it. It didnt really help only after the alignment.

I had the guy check my balljoints and they were fine, Im going to take a look at the LCA next, thanks
yup i had the same thing, tried everything else. I was so mad cause its so hard to do but quickgs300 helped me knock it out (it was more like me helping him.. lol). took a full day and burning the old bushings out was an experience i won't forget. i could smell rubber for days. you can do the old test, lift up the car and pry the lca upwards with a bar. if you get some flex in the arm then bushings are bye bye.

Originally Posted by djrazr
I have about a 3 1/2" finger gap on both front fenders
I pretty much followed this tutorial
http://www.garage.projectraine.com/c...ng/spring.html
The TT suspension was already put together. I just swapped out the old for the new. I don't even know what the torque specs are, but i use just your basic hand socket wrench, which is what i use, or a snap-on impact wrench which is awesome to have, and i never over torque anything as far as i know of
thats alot of gap. maybe someone else can chime in but supra suspension is supposed to lower the car not raise it. I hate that tutorial because you have to take off so many parts that tend to break, but since you didnt touch the upper control arm at all check your endlinks and make sure everything looks like stock.
Old 05-12-10, 03:36 PM
djrazr
Pole Position

thats alot of gap. maybe someone else can chime in but supra suspension is supposed to lower the car not raise it. I hate that tutorial because you have to take off so many parts that tend to break, but since you didnt touch the upper control arm at all check your endlinks and make sure everything looks like stock.
It was suppose to lower 1/2" around there. Just measured gap and i have 2.75 drivers front and 3.5 pass front, so i'll re-check it. Is there a certain way their suppose to be installed as the bottom of the spring facing towards or away from the car?

Last edited by djrazr; 05-12-10 at 04:05 PM.
Old 05-12-10, 05:15 PM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

IIRC, the supra springs have a reduced coil diameter a the bottom vs. the top, whereas the SC coils are same diameter top and bottom. There was just a heated thread here ()relating to this very topic (it was actually about mixing sc and supra spring/shock combos IIRC) . It had pics which showed how where the coils are supposed to sit and explained how the get taller if they're not sitting correctly on the lower seat. Might wanna search around for it and verify your coils are where they should be if your height is so far off.

Last edited by good2go; 05-12-10 at 05:18 PM.
Old 05-12-10, 07:39 PM
RyanV
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm gonna say its your upper shock mount isolators. They are pricey even at cost and you want the OEM part only.

You can really judge their condition by looking at them, but generally if they are squished out and you can see stress cracks they are probably toast.

Quick Reply: Clunking noise from right front end?