SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Headlight resealing, what am I doing wrong? Should I stick with black housing?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-10, 03:10 PM
soulific
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Headlight resealing, what am I doing wrong? Should I stick with black housing?

I have a problem with my headlights. They keep leaking for some reason. I spotted condensation today after it rained.

I bought the car with headlight leaks already. I resealed them and did black housing on them the first time, and it was fine. But I noticed dirt inside and redid them. After that they began leaking again really bad. I redid them and now one headlight is leaking again.

I followed the DIY on this forum and used the 100% silcone shown.

Anybody else get leaks? Im thinking I should just scrap these and pay $$$ and get some other headlight with no leaks. But the problem is I want black housing!

Anybody have some tips on getting these things not to leak?
Old 04-12-10, 03:17 PM
nfordhk
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you sure there is no cracks?

I had this problem with a fog I didnt scrape off the old silicone and when I added new silicone the lens wouldn't sit 100% flush and cause minor gaps allowing condensation.
Old 04-12-10, 03:28 PM
soulific
Advanced

There are no cracks in the lens or plastic that I see. I scraped off all the old silcone before sealing.

Did you ever resolve your problem? Or did you end up getting new lights?
Old 04-12-10, 04:24 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Remember, you have that breather in the back that was originally designed to allow air to pass through to remove condensation. However though there used to be a sponge there too to suck up the moisture. Either make your own spongy thing to put there or seal that up too. When I had my SC, my pops and I drilled holes in the black bottom part of the headlight. This let it breathe very well and helped to get rid of condensation.

However folks on here will tell you that isn't a good idea, because at the same time it lets more water in which can rust the hardware inside the headlight.
Old 04-12-10, 04:28 PM
N00bie909
Lead Lap

i have the same problem too but im guessing all you really have to do is open them up again scrap all the old silicone off i used a heat gun to get all the old silicone soft again. My first one came out fine my second headlight didnt i used a different kind of silicone so maybe thats the problem also.
Old 04-12-10, 04:42 PM
soulific
Advanced

Originally Posted by Jewcano
Remember, you have that breather in the back that was originally designed to allow air to pass through to remove condensation. However though there used to be a sponge there too to suck up the moisture. Either make your own spongy thing to put there or seal that up too. When I had my SC, my pops and I drilled holes in the black bottom part of the headlight. This let it breathe very well and helped to get rid of condensation.

However folks on here will tell you that isn't a good idea, because at the same time it lets more water in which can rust the hardware inside the headlight.

Those breathers broke off of both headlights. One was already broken when I got the car. I just left them as is and didn't really fill the hole. Ill look further into this.

Maybe this may be the problem, but after looking at the light again it appears it isnt just condensation. I see actually driplets from the top of the lamp lens dripping down. it appears to be the seal also.

The problem now is I already painted my 97 fogs housings black, as well as my high beams. If I go back the chrome housing, I would need to replace all the lights, or at least find a way to make them match.

Im thinking about tinting the chrome housing headlights if I get them, with a light film. as well as the high beams ( already black housing), and fogs (already black housing). Do you guys think that would match?

Last edited by soulific; 04-12-10 at 04:47 PM.
Old 04-12-10, 04:45 PM
eliteskill
Lexus Test Driver

Mine still condensate after I did my retrofit... im going try to use the water moister pads you see in food packaging i heard that works.
Old 04-12-10, 05:02 PM
soulific
Advanced

Originally Posted by eliteskill
Mine still condensate after I did my retrofit... im going try to use the water moister pads you see in food packaging i heard that works.

seems like everyone has this problem then. Ill look into those pads as well. I believe its called silica packets. They should be the same ones that nike packs with their shoes, If so I have alot.

After searching online other forums for nissan and acura recomended rubber butyl sealant. This is the OEM glue from nissan. Found here http://www.mynismo.com/products/?id=5577&rsku=0 and also at the dealer ship. The part number is also out there online. Seems to be similiar to the oem grey glue used on our lights.

And others recommended weather stripping clue from the auotparts store or homedepot.

I dont think anyone on this forum has tried any of these. I only heard of 100 % silcone from the hardware store, or RTV BRAND silicone being used here at CL. And dont F up and get a latex/silcone blend caulk. Thats a ultimate fail, from experience.
Old 04-12-10, 05:29 PM
sanengo
Driver

Put silicon in the holes where the breathers are missing. Make sure the three screws that secure the housing are in place and have silicon mashed in between. Although silicon is the way to go to seal the lights from the outside, thermal-adhesive is what the industry uses and is far better sealant on the inside. Use a heat gun before all this to make sure the inside is crisp dry. If you seal a moist headlight, the heat from the bulbs will evaporate the moisture and create condensation later.

I recently did an entire paint, retrofit, lens replacement and have had leaking in one of my headlights. I had to pull them half-apart and reapply clear silicon along the outer seams entirely and has been fine ever since.

You can remove excess silicon with gasoline or some "goo-off" organic solvent.

Good luck