SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

exhaust question

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-02, 09:45 AM
jlplayboy7
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question exhaust question

hey guys i am about to purchase my new sc since i am selling my 96 cobra(insurance was killing me) i know very lil about lexus and was wondering wat was the best exhasut system setup for the sc400(just love V8's) and replies would be greatly appreaciated.
Old 06-07-02, 12:32 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There really is no established "best exhaust" because most people here have only tested one set of mufflers and comparisons aren't comprehensive. There isn't a cat-back system on the market for this car as far as I know, all are just mufflers. RMM and Blitz are the only ones with fitted mufflers, the rest are universals.

If you're going after the same meaty tone as your Cobra, I'd recommend you replumb the midpipes to 3-inch, find dual performance cats, replumb the backpipes to 2.5-3-inch, and use a Flowmaster/Dynomax/Magnaflow muffler.

The SC400 is quiet as hell because of four restrictive mufflers, three cats, and 2.25-inch piping. It is a V8, but it's also a 242ci V8, which is quite a bit smaller than the 280ci Cobra 4.6 and dwarfs in comparison to the 350ci LS-1. I don't think you can put an exhaust system on it to achieve hot rod sound. If you unbolt the rear mufflers, it does sound pretty mean---like Hemi mean.
Old 06-08-02, 04:41 PM
SilverBolt 219
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok,, what I really want is to have a sound that is a bit louder than stock, and also very bassy. Hoops said that his magnaflows gave him alot of bass,, they also look great. I am thinking about having stock cats - freeflow resonators - 3" inch piping - magnaflows mufflers (performance air filter would probably help too). The thing is, i I have no idea what this would sound like or if it would bring me closer to my "desired effect." So basically I am asking "good idea" or "bad idea." Don't know too much about these things and advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,
-Johnny

Last edited by SilverBolt 219; 06-08-02 at 04:55 PM.
Old 06-08-02, 09:06 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Magnaflow 14829 and removed all four stock mufflers. The sound was kind of throaty and weak when it was first installed, but after a few weeks the muffler "breaks in". The sound is more commanding and powerful than before. Or maybe I'm just getting accustomed to it. It sounds a lot better now though. The tone also changes depending on how hot the engine and cats are. A cold start up doesn't sound the same as after thirty minutes of cruising.

I'm going back to my muffler guy to redo all the piping straighter, larger, and shorter and probably have the hangers lifted a little. My current back pipes are U-shaped because it was bent and modelled after the stock piping. Has anyone in CA upgraded to performance cats or dual-cats/dual-exhaust? I'm told by my muffler guy that it won't pass smog that way, but I really want to get it done .