SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

2JZGE Na-T TT Ecu Mod

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-16, 03:15 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
Hahaha I was going to say you would have to catch me first... then I realized even your slowest car is faster than mine right now lol
Time to start turning some wrenches so I can keep up... I bought a single turbo manifold setup for the 350 but can't decide if I want to go down that route or just build it into a 383... or both LMAO

Some day when I have space/time again I'll pick up a clean 400 and see how much boost she can take. It will probably be a while though.
hurry up and do some work ... am still A Mile Ahead of you , but you are A Mile Higher being in CO, lol.

Keep that vette running and work on another engine then just swap so it has no down time. If you want a 454 , I have an old 1999 Chevy Dually that I haven't used in 7 years but the last time I parked it , it was a good running truck. If you want it , tow the truck and use the 454 for your vette. I am serious. It is yours free . Dang huge engine 7.4liter to boost. I have no need of that dually . I have a newer one.

Can't make up my mind if I want a 97 nonVVTi or 00 VVTi 2jzGE engine for an NA-T on the second 97 5speed I just got. For now to get it running and just using what I currently have , so no expense , I just want to slap one of those stock engines into the 1997 5speed since they are low mileage but at the same time I want to eventually boost it. I can take advantage of the VVTi and keep it up to 400rwhp since that is its safe limit with stock internals. Beyond that you are playing with fire. After all the 5speed W58 would also only be truly safe using up to 400 torque with the right clutch. Beyond that , you are asking for trouble though I know some have pushed it beyond 500.

At this point I am not yet sure on what is gonna happen on that 1 of 120 I just got. I can't seem to wrap up my mind giving up a done SC with a 2jzgte just to keep it. So the VVTi 2jzGE stock / W58 5speed at 400rwhp / 400ft lbs is a good and safe combo to throw in there temporarily and with a JDM VVTi TT ECU . I got all that and I don't have to spend a penny to get the car running which will make wifey happy (it is not a junk car since it runs and everything on it is free) . Then I have a reason to keep it which will make me happy .

I haven't seen anybody on this thread having done a 2jzGE VVTi NA-T not unless I miss it, was there ? While I get it running that way , on the side , using my extra blocks , I will build an engine for a full blown NA-T project. Got some new info which I have never seen before and not sure if you had ..... on the 1997 SC300 5speed I just got , which was manufactured in July 1997 and last month before the VVTIs , the damn timing gear is a 32-2 sprocket (just like the VVTIs) instead of a 12 tooth timing gear and yet is a non VVTi engine and ECU . So I guess it's ECU won't work on nonVVTIs with the 12 tooth timing gear ? What do you think ?

Last edited by gerrb; 12-08-16 at 04:57 AM.
Old 12-08-16, 11:26 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Yeah building another motor would be the smart move, hopefully I will settle down into a house here soon and I'll have space to start building one on the side.
I did always want a 427 or a 454, that would be sick Gerrb thanks for the offer that is really nice of you, When I find some space to park it I may just take you up on that offer. is it efi? 4 bolt?
I know alot of people take them from trucks and build them up, I think I just need different accessories but I can get a kit for that I think.

So finally ran out of v160's eh? lol j/p... I am not sure if you have driven a w58 with a single disc clutch that hold over 400 torque, but they are pretty terrible and stiff, so yeah that is about the max I would go with a w58 just off of that let alone breaking the w58. The vvti might be a nice touch and would match up power wise, if you have to pull it for more boost you would be pulling it anyways for the trans so it makes sense.

I wouldn't get rid of a gte car for keeping another 97, but if you can reuse parts and keep it then why not, probably when you are done it will be so nice someone may just want to scoop it off you.
No one has done the vvti version of the gte ecu mod on a na-t and posted it on here, but maybe there are some out there who have done it as the concept is the same, I haven't had anyone tell me about it or post it here yet, you will likely be the first to do it publicly at least on here.

Yeah so you found one of the nuances with the 96 and 97 non vvti 2jzge's. They also have different injectors and an air assist hose from the lower runner to the throttle body (some 93-95 cali models got this early too).
The actually have the 12 tooth setup its just in the distributor like the 92-95 2jzge (its actually 24 teeth but goes 1/2 crank speed), in fact its the same distributor and that is what the ecu uses for running the engine. what happened was in 96 with obd2 emissions and whatnot, the code for misfire detection needed to be addressed and the old 12 tooth wheel is not accurate enough for how obd2 breaks it down, so what they did is add a second crank sensor with the 36-2 wheel as you discovered... this 2nd crank sensor is only for misfire detection, if you unplug it you get a code but the engine will continue to run off the distributor like normal. This was kind of like a bubba fix to the obd2 issue without having to go back and put cam sensors on the side of the head to fully delete the distributor like a gte and run the engine off the 36-2.
If you look at the 96-97 specific diagrams, it will say crank 1 and crank 2, the oil pump mounted one is crank 2.

Then came vvti and they did add a cam sensor to the rear of the head, and used the 36-2 wheel to run the engine also.
The nice part is, you have an extra 36-2 wheel setup to use and you can use that on the vvti ecu's... but that rear vvti cam sensor you need a vvti cam I want to say with the stock vvti ecu as it has multiple nubs on it.
with the standalone I think you can change it up with the cams but some combos you have to run wasted spark then.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 12-08-16 at 11:30 AM.
Old 12-08-16, 11:35 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

I can't remember who but someone posted this a while ago with a full info on doing the vvti version.
Attached Thumbnails 2JZGE Na-T TT Ecu Mod-rmtsuto.jpg  
Old 12-08-16, 11:42 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

pics of the crank sensors from 97 2jzge manual.
See how there is NE in the distributor, then a 2nd NE2 which is the 36-2 wheel.
If you look at the waveforms in the 2nd pic, the 36-2 one is much more busy which makes for accurate misfire detection.
Kinda the reason why vvti ecu's can be picky about misfires, whereas the old obd1 ecu's can hardly even tell its misfiring lol.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 12-08-16 at 11:46 AM.
Old 12-08-16, 01:34 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Ali - pretty sure it is an EFI .. how many bolt , don't damn ask me .. all I know is just drive my GMCs and Chevy's, lmaol. And by the way it is a 1997 .. not 1999. I just checked the title. I will inspect it for you before Christmas. I got it stored in one of my buddy's place up North GA since I had so many vehicles in my place up there in the city. It didn't have the prettiest body that's why I couldn't store it also in the city, lol. But that 454 big block I can assure you at 180k miles was a damn good running engine when I parked it 7 years ago. And am serious , it's yours if you like it. Just have to figure out how to bring a dually from GA to CO .

I will read more about this damn 97 2jzge manual so I know what the hell I am going to do with this second 1997 SC300 5 speed. Thanks for the attachment you sent to my email. I don't feel like installing a 6speed V160 on this second 97 SC300 even if I still have one brand new sitting around. I already have 5 cars with the V160 and this car was never really in my plans. Besides , I need to have that last new V160 as reserve for my cars. So I want to keep this second 97 sc300 with the original 5 speed. I have no use for it so I might as well use the damn trans. So installing one of the stock drive trains I have is my best option now. I am just at a cross road whether to put in ARP hardwares before dropping the engine into the bay so if I decide to boost , engine is ready. I really don't know Ali ... my head aches right now with all these SCs, lol. Don't even know what to do anymore.

I haven't opened any of my 1997 2JZGE engines with auto trans .. do they have also a 32-2 timing gear or a 12 tooth timing gear ?

Last edited by gerrb; 12-08-16 at 02:29 PM.
Old 12-08-16, 01:44 PM
ar3
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gerrb
Ali - pretty sure it is an EFI .. how many bolt , don't damn ask me .. all I know is just drive my GMCs and Chevy's, lmaol. And by the way it is a 1997 .. not 1999. I just checked the title. I will inspect it for you before Christmas. I got it stored in one of my buddy's place up North GA since I had so many vehicles in my place up there in the city. It didn't have the prettiest body that's why I couldn't store it also in the city, lol. But that 454 big block I can assure you at 180k miles was a damn good running engine when I parked it 7 years ago. And am serious , it's yours if you like it. Just have to figure out how to bring a dually from GA to CO .

I will read more about this damn 97 2jzge manual so I know what the hell I am going to do with this second 1997 SC300 5 speed. Thanks for the attachment you send to my email.
looking forward to what you're going to do with that 97, herb. I got a 97 5spd too and that's limiting my options to turbo it with ~350hp. I may try to swap a 370z 6spd tranny using Collins adapter, way cheaper and solid than a v160 from what I heard. I think I'll build an NA-t on a spare GE engine since I almost have 200k on mine.
Old 12-08-16, 03:04 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Gerrb, all the 2jzge motors that came with a timing gear on the crank 96-97 non vvti and 98+ vvti are all 36-2 wheel. there was never a 12 tooth crank gear on a 2jzge motor, only on gte's.
All distributor non vvti 2jzge 92-97 run the engine off the 24 tooth wheel in the distributor (which is equivalent to a 12 tooth gte crank setup), which is why you can run any distributor motor off a gte ecu meant for a 12 tooth.

If its staying under 500hp, you don't even need arp hardware. I would probably drop the non vvti in that was originally there and call it a day, it will be less work to boost later.
Then just take the heads of the vvti motors and re-purpose them. vvti bottom ends are rather useless without a rebuild I don't think 400hp will cut it very long for you.

I also wonder how that high compression vvti GE motor is going to react with the vvti 2jzgte tune on it considering the weaker bottom end.
The timing might get a little sketch in some areas that the bottom end might not be able to handle for long periods of time, and no distributor to dial back base timing.

ar3, I dont think anyone will agree that the nissan trans is more solid than a v160, cause it isn't, but they are close in power holding and are cheaper, but the cost of all the adapters and then shift feel etc.. have to be factored in.
I would look into the T56 setup also, it seems to be getting more bolt on friendly these days.
Old 12-08-16, 03:57 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ar3
looking forward to what you're going to do with that 97, herb. I got a 97 5spd too and that's limiting my options to turbo it with ~350hp. I may try to swap a 370z 6spd tranny using Collins adapter, way cheaper and solid than a v160 from what I heard. I think I'll build an NA-t on a spare GE engine since I almost have 200k on mine.
The Nissan 6 speed according to the people working with high end cars would be better than an R154 but not a V160. If I am not mistaken , Vinny Ten said that . He had cars using it to up to 800rwhp . The V160 had been used in 1500rwhp cars and over 1000ft lbs of torque and continually abused on the drag strip. I don't abuse my cars at the drag strip but I have cars with V160s that handles over +1200rwhp and 900ft lbs of torque. So based on experiences out there , I believe the V160 is way more stout and stronger than the Nissan 6 speed. Though it was only rated at 500 or less ft. lbs of torque. The Tremec Magnum is rated at 700 ft.lbs so at least on paper even more stout than the V160. The problem with the CD009 is availability of dual clutches with good flywheel. Triple clutches.. haven't even heard anyone using one. So far , the only people I hear saying their multi disk are good are those who are selling parts for the setup. Based on my personal experience and others on Supraforums , multi clutches available for the CD009 are not street friendly and noisy. You can use a heavier pressure plate and single disk but that will still have a limitation that is less than what the multi disk can handle and besides the heavier is your pressure plate the more chances of a crank walk for your 2JZ . Not even counting all the other aggravations you will experience which other users are encountering.

Gerrb, all the 2jzge motors that came with a timing gear on the crank 96-97 non vvti and 98+ vvti are all 36-2 wheel. there was never a 12 tooth crank gear on a 2jzge motor, only on gte's.
All distributor non vvti 2jzge 92-97 run the engine off the 24 tooth wheel in the distributor (which is equivalent to a 12 tooth gte crank setup), which is why you can run any distributor motor off a gte ecu meant for a 12 tooth.

If its staying under 500hp, you don't even need arp hardware. I would probably drop the non vvti in that was originally there and call it a day, it will be less work to boost later.
Then just take the heads of the vvti motors and re-purpose them. vvti bottom ends are rather useless without a rebuild I don't think 400hp will cut it very long for you.

I also wonder how that high compression vvti GE motor is going to react with the vvti 2jzgte tune on it considering the weaker bottom end.
The timing might get a little sketch in some areas that the bottom end might not be able to handle for long periods of time, and no distributor to dial back base timing.

Ahh... something new I learn today about those timing gears of GE. So all the 96+ have the 36-2 timing gear. Yeah I remember the older GEs have the many teeth gear ...without a missing tooth, lol.

Actually you were right , I was gearing towards the 108k miles non VVTi motor I have and pair it with the W58 . I can't use the original long block of the car since I don't know its condition being exposed with nature for a very long time . It seems very clean when I opened up the oil pans and the valve covers but wasn't happy with the leak down numbers so I am not taking a risk and waste my time. True , I will just use the GE VVTi head with a built bottom end later.

Last edited by gerrb; 12-08-16 at 04:14 PM.
Old 12-09-16, 11:32 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

thought this meme was pretty awesome

Old 12-09-16, 11:59 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

^^^ somebody can't simply just get away with the 2JZ, lmaol. The mighty block just keep pulling him back to the 2JZ world. Well if it doesn't have all matching numbers then you better surprise every domestic , run against them without hood being opened keeping them at bay without knowing what the heck you have in that bay.

forget about the damn 350, 383 , 454 .... 2JZ here we go. I will donate a bare 2JZGE block and head . I just don't have the crank for that block.
Old 12-09-16, 12:24 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Its a hard motor to get away from, I think you know that more than anyone else I know

Hahaha, I've never thought something could be so wrong yet so good at the same time.
I don't know if I could bring myself to do it... but no doubt it would be a 2jzgte vvti motor if I went down that road.
I had also thought about a 1uz going in there, the sound would be closer to the domestic v8 sound but much harder to turbo for big power

I guess I could always have a domestic engine and a 2jz that I can swap in and out at will... the motor that is in there has like 3 wires and a fuel line attached to it, not much to it.
Old 12-09-16, 01:17 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Wow, my brother just gave me the craziest idea ever... since the bay is so big why not go with a 1FZ and turbo the heck out of it. that would def be a first on that chassis.

I'll add these video for inspiration

Last edited by Ali SC3; 12-09-16 at 01:23 PM.
Old 12-09-16, 01:23 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Go for the 1800rwhp on that Land Cruiser engine like what Titan Motorsports did . PHR also have their 500rwhp Land Cruiser with 400 ft. lbs of torque on all wheel drive .
For my NA-T engine on the second 1997 SC300 5 speed, using the 1997 2JZGE engine with 108k miles , I would drill the oil return for the oil pan , install ARP rod bolts , ARP mains without separating head from block so the head gasket is intact , I will one by one replace the head studs with ARP. studs . What do you think ? I just want it ready for future boosting . I know people will always say you need line honing when you add ARP mains and rod bolts but I got away with it without doing that with 2 engines and those engines are still alive and been pushing +800rwhp with over 10k miles.

Sam (raceforlife on SF from Alabama) made +840 on a stock 2JZGE long block with just bolt ons , using a good aftermarket ECU and race gas. I will try to push it with E85 up to where the W58 can safely handle initially and then if ever I end up with a better tranny in there , l will check where E85 will bring it. NA-T high compression really depends on your aftermarket ECU tuning. I believe I can play around with it having been playing and tuning my ProEFIs for a while now.

Last edited by gerrb; 12-10-16 at 05:19 AM.
Old 12-12-16, 09:53 AM
Reyke
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't remember who but someone posted this a while ago with a full info on doing the vvti version.
Looks like I have my next goal, thanks Ali
Old 12-27-16, 08:42 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

let us know when you go through with it, would love to see more details of the vvti gte ecu mod getting done.

Quick Reply: 2JZGE Na-T TT Ecu Mod