SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

can you move the ac knob or even wire a new smaller one?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-10, 05:08 PM
maynanator
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default can you move the ac **** or even wire a new smaller one?

just wondering has anyone moved or replaced the ac ****...im wondering becuase if i were to put in a new radio i would want to delete the volume **** and if i did that the the console would look unbalanced... so back to my question has anyone changed the ac ****... also is it just a simple positive negative in out set up or is it more complicated than that?
Old 03-28-10, 05:12 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Most people on here have deleted the volume **** and kept the a/c **** in place after installing a aftermarket radio. I am sure you can do it, and if you do, please do a DIY and post alot of pictures for those of us who may want to do the same.
Old 03-28-10, 05:17 PM
maynanator
Lead Lap

ok once i get the money i will get a new radio and do the diy...
Old 03-28-10, 05:54 PM
maynanator
Lead Lap

does anyone actually know how to do this?
Old 03-28-10, 07:04 PM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Dunno, it looks fine I guess with just the volume ****...

Old 03-28-10, 09:53 PM
maynanator
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RedPhoenix

could somebody photoshop this so i could see what if would look like without the ****.

Please and thank you
Old 03-29-10, 12:35 AM
Cleanshots
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

how are you gonna adjust your temp then? this thread seems pretty dumb. it may look unbalanced cause your not used to seeing it that way. i dono what to tell you, you cant move it or delete it.
Old 03-29-10, 10:01 AM
dondons_sc
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hear that there are members who relocate the climate control panel to the glove box to put a double din there in its place is that dumb as well?
Old 03-29-10, 10:21 AM
TomLee
Lexus Champion

For filling in the holes I think you could just lay fiberglass under th hole, fill with resin/jb weld/ other equivalent, sand and paint. It's a process but I think it is worth it... I'll probably delete the volume ****
Old 03-29-10, 10:35 AM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dondons_sc
I hear that there are members who relocate the climate control panel to the glove box to put a double din there in its place is that dumb as well?
I have a double din and didnt need to move anything, so if they moved the HVAC unit just for a double din then yes thats dumb cause you dont need to move it...if your good with simple basic electronics I dont see the issue other than the fact it will look like something is missing cause the fact that there is something missing.

nobody has done it cause its usless..where would you mount the **** to adjust the temp? What **** are you planning on using? Do you know how many active poles are controlling that **** for on/off/adjustment? Can you find an aftermarket **** with the same number of poles? These are the questions you need to be asking. Yes it can be moved, Yes you can wire in another one provided you know how to use a mulitmeter...The REAL question is, is it worth all the trouble??
Old 03-29-10, 11:34 AM
dondons_sc
Rookie

Look at some pics of Ms emeralds car and see for yourself just to get an idea. In the pics I've seen of her car she still has her ***** in place and moved the climate control. Rykwebb another member he's done his as well. You see that what I admire about these boards there are people here not afraid to think outside the box and give people creative ideas to spruce up the interiors of their rides nothing dumb about that right? If its worth the trouble to go NA-T then yeah its worth it to some.
Old 03-29-10, 04:45 PM
maynanator
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by turbodremz

nobody has done it cause its usless..where would you mount the **** to adjust the temp? What **** are you planning on using? Do you know how many active poles are controlling that **** for on/off/adjustment? Can you find an aftermarket **** with the same number of poles? These are the questions you need to be asking. Yes it can be moved, Yes you can wire in another one provided you know how to use a mulitmeter...The REAL question is, is it worth all the trouble??
well i want to mount in the area where the cigarette lighter is...couldn't you just lengthen the wire?
Old 03-29-10, 06:47 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by maynanator
well i want to mount in the area where the cigarette lighter is...couldn't you just lengthen the wire?
I think its a bit more complicated than that cause the volume **** and ac **** are both installed in their own housing that is screwed to the trim. if your serious about doing it I would start by removing the ***** and looking to see how many contacts there are and see if there is any seperate circutry involved. If not then just find a **** with matching poles and extend, but you have to cover the electrical bases first to determine what's needed.
Old 03-29-10, 08:55 PM
tavarish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I moved mine to the cup holder area.

Easy as pie, just lengthened a few wires.
Old 03-29-10, 08:57 PM
maynanator
Lead Lap

what is that black thing on top of your cup holder

Quick Reply: can you move the ac knob or even wire a new smaller one?