SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

97-2000 Taillight Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-02, 01:45 PM
mjr24
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97-2000 Taillight Conversion

I read that in order to do this, you need the modules. Now are these modules in all 97-2k cars, or is it a specially made part. Could I find these modules in a wrecked 97-2k SC?? Please tell me!!
Old 06-04-02, 12:04 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What you need is the tail light failure sensor relay...it's an expensive part though...

Now I've heard CONFLICTING reports about this...SOME people say that you DON'T need...some say you do...

If you don't have it, it's not that it will not work, but what will happen is that your tail light failure lamp on your dash will go on w/o the relay (if needing the relay is true). Of course, you could always just disconnect the lamp in the dash...

I am going to find out for SURE...I am going to install the '97+ tail lights in a '92 SC400 and see if the failure lamp comes on...I will report my findings...
Old 06-04-02, 12:30 AM
ACleanSC4
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Once again...Manaray...you da man =)

Is it pretty much plug-n-play? The 97 has more plugs compared to the 92 right?

Anyone wanna trade their 95-96 taillights? I like those the most...email me if you have some laying around or wanna trade tony@lexussc400.com
Old 06-04-02, 12:47 AM
lexlikenother
Pole Position

I've heard that you have to change the bumper.
Old 06-04-02, 01:08 AM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You don't need to swap bumpers, you don't need the module, but from a '95 to a '94 swap, the tail light indicator does come on. I have heard that all you really need to do is change the resistor that activates the indicator light to the correct impedance, which will cost you all of 30 cents. I think the '92-94 lights had five bulbs where the '95-00 had four bulbs.
Old 06-04-02, 01:38 AM
lexlikenother
Pole Position

Guess you've learned something new in the past few months, eh lex??

Camshaft, you'll need a 97+ rear bumper to go with those 97+ tail lights.
Old 06-04-02, 01:43 AM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes well back then I was told that you needed the bumper as well, but people here have done it without so I've since abandoned that idea. The 97+ bumper is different from the pre-97 though.
Old 06-04-02, 01:47 AM
lexlikenother
Pole Position

Isn't the bottom part, that goes around the exhaust and all the way around, different? (lower and flipped out some)
Old 06-04-02, 07:37 AM
mjr24
Lexus Test Driver

Well does anyone know the purpose of those expensive modules then? They must do something!
Yeah, Im curious as to the rear too....I also think it comes out more, but it that all one part, or is there several parts to the rear?
Old 06-05-02, 01:47 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

that module is the light failure sensor...since the newer tail lights use a different # of bulbs, the older sensors will think the tail lights have failed even when they're working right...

Basically, you're suppose to have the same year range sensors as the tail lights...so if you have a '97-'00 tail light assembly, you need the '97-'00 sensor...

However, I'm not sure if you ABSOLUTELY need this as I've heard conflicting reports...I am going to do the exchange (to '97+ lights) and I'll let you guys know...
Old 06-05-02, 07:53 AM
Aznteazer
Lexus Test Driver

If the various models use different number of bulbs, wouldn't that leave some bulbs dangling and some short of bulbs? Wat do u do with the excess?
Old 06-05-02, 07:16 PM
SC400onDubz
Driver

Default lexus taillights

Ok.

Here is the deal.

97 bumper is wider at the inside bottom corner of the taillight. I guess you can make it fit 96-back models if you want to squeeze it in and make it fit.

But..........It is a lexus and you are already spending 450 to get the lights and wiring module why not spend another 400 and get the correct bumper so it will look like a real 97-up.??

The module, so I have been told is to make the lights wire up, the old harness and the new tail lights are not plug and play... But when lexus upgraded they just used a patch (the module) to upgade to the new lights.

Unless you want to have a "cut, patch and play" set up(again...Its a lexus, not a Honda) then you need the harness. It also includes the new tail-lamp failure sensor.. I think Body shop cost is 148.51 or something close to that so it is like a third tail light.. $450 complete new tail lights..

I am selling a set of 95-96 model tail lights in perfect shape email me with offers at brijet@bellsouth.net

Thanks,
Scott

Last edited by SC400onDubz; 06-05-02 at 07:32 PM.
Old 07-19-03, 11:23 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Re: lexus taillights

Sorry for posting what I should've written in an email.

I tried to email you but the mail was returned.

I was wondering if you still have these taillights?

If you do, how much are you asking for them?

Will they be a direct swap with my 93' SC4's old taillights? Do I need to buy new sensors for them?

How difficult is it to replace these tailights? Could you provide me with some simple instructions?

Thank you very much. Please let me know.

Jon

Originally posted by SC400onDubz
Ok.

Here is the deal.

97 bumper is wider at the inside bottom corner of the taillight. I guess you can make it fit 96-back models if you want to squeeze it in and make it fit.

But..........It is a lexus and you are already spending 450 to get the lights and wiring module why not spend another 400 and get the correct bumper so it will look like a real 97-up.??

The module, so I have been told is to make the lights wire up, the old harness and the new tail lights are not plug and play... But when lexus upgraded they just used a patch (the module) to upgade to the new lights.

Unless you want to have a "cut, patch and play" set up(again...Its a lexus, not a Honda) then you need the harness. It also includes the new tail-lamp failure sensor.. I think Body shop cost is 148.51 or something close to that so it is like a third tail light.. $450 complete new tail lights..

I am selling a set of 95-96 model tail lights in perfect shape email me with offers at brijet@bellsouth.net

Thanks,
Scott
Old 07-19-03, 11:46 PM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jon,

You can always contact Steve Ganz@ Carson Toyota..PM SUPRATRD..Great service and awesome prices...You can also contact Tony, ACleanSC4 he can get them for you also..Aliga has some hookups, maybe he can help you out...Or you can try all of the above and compare prices..

Will they be a direct swap with my 93' SC4's old taillights? Do I need to buy new sensors for them?
If you had read Manaray's post on this thread, it explains clearly what you would have to do..I would personally recommend for you NOT to purchase the module..You can always check your taillights for failure from time to time yourself instead..It would be more cost effective..

How difficult is it to replace these tailights? Could you provide me with some simple instructions?
It is not diffcult to replace the taillights yourself, however, if you haven't worked on ANY cars before I would suggest a mechanic to help you...

It is rather simple to install..

To access your taillight, you would have to remove your rear trunk carpeting that is directly BEHIND your tailight..

Each taillight is held on with FOUR screws, TWO (upper and lower) on the left and TWO (upper and lower) on the right..Proceed to remove all screws and UNPLUG the wiring that is attached to it..Each taillight has ONE plug..

Once you have removed your two OLD taillights, you would proceed to the HARDEST part of your installation...Your new taillights will need new holes to fit, they only miss approximately 1/6 inch to your pre-drilled holes...You would have to find somehow to widen up the pre-drilled holes..Some people preferred to NEW drill holes but its basically up to you how you want to proceed...

The trick is to make sure to mark how much your missing by and drill or widen up the predrilled holes for a clean install..

Once you done all of the above, just plug and play...Thats all folks...
Old 07-20-03, 12:03 AM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Very good info!

Thanks a lot for your help. As of now, I am still broke (bought too many aftermarket parts for my BMW... LOL) and unable to come up with a few hundred dollars in cash just for these taillghts. I was hoping to find someone who's willing to trade his/her 95' taillights straight up for mine or at least find a set of used ones for a good price.

I guess I'll start saving up for now.

Thanks again!

Jon

Originally posted by One HoT SC400
Jon,

You can always contact Steve Ganz@ Carson Toyota..PM SUPRATRD..Great service and awesome prices...You can also contact Tony, ACleanSC4 he can get them for you also..Aliga has some hookups, maybe he can help you out...Or you can try all of the above and compare prices..

If you had read Manaray's post on this thread, it explains clearly what you would have to do..I would personally recommend for you NOT to purchase the module..You can always check your taillights for failure from time to time yourself instead..It would be more cost effective..

It is not diffcult to replace the taillights yourself, however, if you haven't worked on ANY cars before I would suggest a mechanic to help you...

It is rather simple to install..

To access your taillight, you would have to remove your rear trunk carpeting that is directly BEHIND your tailight..

Each taillight is held on with FOUR screws, TWO (upper and lower) on the left and TWO (upper and lower) on the right..Proceed to remove all screws and UNPLUG the wiring that is attached to it..Each taillight has ONE plug..

Once you have removed your two OLD taillights, you would proceed to the HARDEST part of your installation...Your new taillights will need new holes to fit, they only miss approximately 1/6 inch to your pre-drilled holes...You would have to find somehow to widen up the pre-drilled holes..Some people preferred to NEW drill holes but its basically up to you how you want to proceed...

The trick is to make sure to mark how much your missing by and drill or widen up the predrilled holes for a clean install..

Once you done all of the above, just plug and play...Thats all folks...

Quick Reply: 97-2000 Taillight Conversion