ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-1st-gen-1992-2000-6/)
-   -   Help! Key won't turn in ignition! (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-1st-gen-1992-2000/482991-help-key-wont-turn-in-ignition.html)

oldcrowe 02-19-10 01:31 PM

Help! Key won't turn in ignition!

What in the world happened? 94 SC400...97K miles...absolutely no problems until yesterday. Key WILL NOT turn in ignition. Tried both keys...I am aware of the 'wheels turned against steering wheel lock' issue- wheels are straight and the steering wheel is free to turn (or, was until it locked as I was turning it...) The auto tilt works properly. I checked iATN to see if there were any pattern failures, nothing mentioned. Has any one seen problems with these ignition switches before? I searched the posts here for problems, did not find any...
HELP!
Thanks for your time-
oldcrowe

scrilla06 02-19-10 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by oldcrowe (Post 5243356)
What in the world happened? 94 SC400...97K miles...absolutely no problems until yesterday. Key WILL NOT turn in ignition. Tried both keys...I am aware of the 'wheels turned against steering wheel lock' issue- wheels are straight and the steering wheel is free to turn (or, was until it locked as I was turning it...) The auto tilt works properly. I checked iATN to see if there were any pattern failures, nothing mentioned. Has any one seen problems with these ignition switches before? I searched the posts here for problems, did not find any...
HELP!
Thanks for your time-
oldcrowe

try slamming it in park, not too hard though

SC400SAIF 02-19-10 06:56 PM

try sliping it into neutral

jadu 02-19-10 06:57 PM

step on the brake and turn the wheel?

oldcrowe 02-19-10 09:29 PM

Thanks for the replies, but still no go. It will not come out of park without the key in the acc or run position, and I can't turn the key! Turning the wheel either direction doesn't help either...
Please keep the ideas coming!
oldcrowe

aliga 02-20-10 07:33 AM

change out the ignition cylinder, i have one for 50 shipped, if you need it.

BostonSC4 02-20-10 04:02 PM

before you do that..^ are you trying to turn the wheel from side to side WHILE attempting to turn the key?

and about the shifter, use a flat head screw driver and there is a lock override switch under the little black square in the top left. use that and put it in neutral.

aliga 02-20-10 05:49 PM

spray some wd40 also

JohnEd 02-21-10 12:04 PM

In the day it was often said "you NEVER oil a lock". Rxcept when it is jammed up with hardened oil applied by someone that didn't get the message. Aliga is right on both his suggestions. May I add: Get a an of carb cleaner withg the tiny red spout that will fit inside your lock. Spray the heck out of it and keep a rag up against the outside to prevent the spray from dripping on the plastic. Run your key in and out briskly while the cleaner is wet. IT this is going to fix it it should be free at this point. If it does free up squirt another dose in there. Don't use WD 40 after you get it working....go to a lock shop and get some genuine LOCK LUBE. WSD is a great idea to FREE up a lock though.

Good luck,

John

oldcrowe 02-21-10 09:11 PM

Aliga- Your lock cylinder...does it come with keys?

aliga 02-23-10 12:16 PM

yes it does.

oldcrowe 02-24-10 05:39 PM

Well, go figure...Had it towed to shop, began working and is still working. with no problems at all...lubed with lock lube after i got it back, smooth as a baby's you-know-what!
Thanks for the suggestions...
Aliga- if it fails again, I'll get with you...
OC

lcarter83 03-11-10 08:55 AM

sorry to bother u but do you know how to remove your lock cylinder, purchased a new one for my ls400 dont no how to get the old one out and put the new one in can you help me please( latoyarcarter12@sprint.blackberry.net) you may email me if you can help, thanks

bdoug724 03-31-11 06:00 PM

my 92 sc400 is having the same problem. I've had a mechanic and a locksmith look at it and tell me i need to replace the lock cylinder. How am i supposed to get the cylinder out if i cant turn it to ACC in order to remove it?

bdoug724 03-31-11 06:02 PM

your supposed to turn it to ACC and push a small button on the side or top of it somewhere then it will slide out i think