SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Help Diagnose the Source of the Whine

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-10, 02:51 PM
SC30096
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Diagnose the Source of the Whine

Alright guys need some suggestions, I already did a search on whines and nothing fits so for my situation it is a high pitch whine, kinda sounds like when a tension belt is over tightened and it only happens when im driving at about 45 mph or 70 kmh. It is more noticeable when the weather is below freezing. at first I thought it was the power steering but if I move up the rpms when im parked it doesnt make a sound. so im guessing it has to do with something rotating. anyone encounter this problem or have any ideas
Thanks in advance guys
Old 02-10-10, 04:32 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

havent had that issue but it may be your serpentine belt auto tensioner. they wear out over time. at a certain rpm it can hit a frequency that may amplify the whine.
Old 02-10-10, 05:28 PM
Pspice
Lead Lap

prolly ur belt i got a whine too im pretty sure its my stupid belt that i got from my stupid job -.-
Old 05-15-10, 04:26 PM
bspecmr2
Driver School Candidate

to Original Post - what did it turn out to be?

I'm battling a whine as well.
Initially my 96 SC300 had no noises coming from the engine bay at 105k miles.
I replaced both belts and it was still quiet. 10k miles after belt replacement, it developed a ticking/crackling noise and a whine not much later thereafter.

I had the automatic accessory belt tensioner replaced a week ago (125k), the crackling is gone, but the whine is still there. The acc. belt has absolutely no signs of wear on it.
The whining noise is quite bad and very high pitched when first starting the car. As it warms up the noise decreases. When warm it does not appear until about 2500rpm and just gets louder with rpms going up, while disappearing fast once the pedal is decreased ( i.e. quieting down faster than rpms wind down).
My power steering pump has fresh oil in it. I've eliminated the chance of it being a PS related problem as there's no change in the whine as the steering wheel is turned completely to one side or the other.
I suspect the noise comes from the area around the fan.

Any input on this would be appreciated since I don't want to replace parts endlessly.
Old 05-15-10, 06:21 PM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bspecmr2
to Original Post - what did it turn out to be?

I'm battling a whine as well.
Initially my 96 SC300 had no noises coming from the engine bay at 105k miles.
I replaced both belts and it was still quiet. 10k miles after belt replacement, it developed a ticking/crackling noise and a whine not much later thereafter.

I had the automatic accessory belt tensioner replaced a week ago (125k), the crackling is gone, but the whine is still there. The acc. belt has absolutely no signs of wear on it.
The whining noise is quite bad and very high pitched when first starting the car. As it warms up the noise decreases. When warm it does not appear until about 2500rpm and just gets louder with rpms going up, while disappearing fast once the pedal is decreased ( i.e. quieting down faster than rpms wind down).
My power steering pump has fresh oil in it. I've eliminated the chance of it being a PS related problem as there's no change in the whine as the steering wheel is turned completely to one side or the other.
I suspect the noise comes from the area around the fan.

Any input on this would be appreciated since I don't want to replace parts endlessly.
hmmm ...this part kinda makes me wonder about the timing belt tensioner
Old 05-15-10, 06:24 PM
bspecmr2
Driver School Candidate

Just looked up the paperwork. The dealership inspected the tensioner, but only the 2 belts were replaced. timing belt tensioner is original with 125k miles on it. However I can clearly hear the squeal / whine coming from the AC compressor area.
First I'll call the dealer and ask them to inspect the belt since they changed it a year ago (10k miles).

Last edited by bspecmr2; 05-15-10 at 08:00 PM.
Old 07-02-10, 08:05 PM
JohnEd
Lead Lap

If you take a perfectly good operating PS system and pinch the low pressure line into the pump with a set of vice grips so as to reduce the size of the hose......you will hear a high pitched wine when turning the wheel. That is the pump cavitating. So input flow resistance causes this problem. So where is the restriction in your system? Most probably in the resovoir where they put that peminant metal screen filter. Takes years to fill up and clog.

Take the res off and back flush it with carb cleaner and soap and water and back flush with water. Dry it out with heat and the noise will be gone if you got the screen clean. Or have it "dipped" at the repair shop for 5 bucks. or buy a new reservoir.

My leak turned out to be a split in the low pressure hose that feeds the pump. Tiny split on the underside of that hose took a year to find.