Damn, I need a Nakamichi amp

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-02, 08:36 PM
SC400onDubz
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Damn, I need a Nakamichi amp

Hey guys,

I put in a new sub 1 day ago. And today my factory amp went bad...

I wired the aftermarket amp AFTER the Nakamichi amp. So, I guess the new sub was pulling a lot of power from the nak amp and blew it up..... Fast expensive lesson to how to install an aftermarket sub..

This is a warning to all you running factory amp for front speakers with nakamichi amplifiers and an added subwoofer(s), run the signal converters before the nakamichi amp, then to the new amp then to the new sub or else you nak amp will be toast since all 5 channels are built in to one amp the whole amp goes at once..

ALSO, I need a Nakamichi amp(fpr a SC400), if you have one please email me at brijet@bellsouth.net

Thanks,
Scott
Old 05-23-02, 10:25 AM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Question ....trying to follow all that.....

....so you had an aftermarket amp driving the woofer, and the speaker-level input signals for that amp came from the Nak amp's woofer output leads?

Isn't that the standard way to drive the woofer, if you have an aftermarket amp that accepts speaker-level input signals?

I'm confused because you say:
"aftermarket amp AFTER the Nakamichi amp", and
"sub was pulling a lot of power from the nak amp". I don't see how the sub can affect the Nak amp, if you have another amp in between.

Not trying to give you a hard time, Scott, just trying to understand what happened- I am adding a woofer and amp in the next month to my Nak and I don't want to suffer the same fate.

The good news is that well-known auction web site has Nak amps up for bids every month or two. But if mine was ever to go, I don't think I'd replace it- I'd take the opportunity to upgrade to a 4+1 channel amp (or a 4 ch. amp plus a 1 ch. amp), using the wiring diagrams on Peter'sNak Hack post: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=43510

Last edited by PERRYinLA; 05-23-02 at 11:57 AM.
Old 05-23-02, 07:56 PM
SC400onDubz
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default perry in lA

Ok perry let me break it down for you..

I have had my subwoofer set up for about 8 months. It worked fine.

I had a Rockford fosgate 12" Series one amp, It sounded ok.. I kept that set up, until I bought a new Sony Speaker at a Sony factory outlet..

It sounded much much better. Shaked my mirrors and windows really bad! (Sorry cant think of a better way to say that it was jarring a lot harder than the old speaker..)

After one day of loud music an ringing ears bam all of the sound goes away... It is there but at full volume it sounds like normally on full low.

What I would suggest is to definately wire the new amp and sub before the nak amp which is a much more involved installation since you have to get a signal converter and cut into your factory harness....
But this way you dont even have the chance of messing up your hard to find Nakamichi amp..

I think that the sub pulled power from the nak amp since it is just like running a double amp set up, both amps give the speaker more power... When I wire it up before the nak amp and directly to the sub amp it will not be as loud since I will only be running off of one amp..

I think the Pioneer amp could take the power pull but the weak link in the system was the nak amp so it went first... taking out all channels with it..

This of course is all common sense engineering. Feel free to set me straight if I am totally wrong and the nak amp did not have any power used for the sub. If not that was a hell of a coincidence that the amp went out the next day..

What do you think percy?? Not sure if he still visits this part of the site..?..?
Old 05-23-02, 08:51 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Question I appreciate the explanation, but I am still confused.....

...for starters, what is a "Rockford fosgate 12" Series one amp"?

Is that an amp? if so, what's the 12" mean?
Is it a woof? is so, what's the "amp" mean?

When you say you are "running a double amp set up", does that mean you had the nak and the other amp each driving one voice coil on a dual-voice coil woof? Or did you wire the output of each amp into the single voice coil of the woof? Were they in phase?
And I still don't know the answer to my question of where the aftermarket amp (Pioneer, right?) got its input from.

You've already typed a lot, so if you don't want to bother explaining anymore, I'll understand. It won't fix your problem, anyway, no matter how well you explain it.

But in any case you won't need a signal tracer- that work has already been done: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=43510

Last edited by PERRYinLA; 05-23-02 at 08:54 PM.