SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

ghetto SC's?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-10, 03:43 PM
MoogieBoogie
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default ghetto SC's?

After several years of being without a SC, I find myself wanting one again. It was one of the best looking, reliable cruisers (available with a manual trans) I've owned.

It's a little disheartening to see a lot of SCs in trashed condition. Seems like a lot of people who get their hands on one find 20" chrome wheels to be more important than general maintenance and upkeep.

Does anyone else feel this way? I know there are a lot of clean examples out there, but I seem to want one less every time I see a ghetto one on the street.
Old 01-26-10, 03:54 PM
FuMoFFuTT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I for one don't feel this way AT ALL.
When I first picked up my Soarer the first thing I did was all the maintenance and make sure that it would not give police any troubles.

I still have some parts to install, brakes, suspension, and lower control arms.
Old 01-26-10, 03:58 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by MoogieBoogie
After several years of being without a SC, I find myself wanting one again. It was one of the best looking, reliable cruisers (available with a manual trans) I've owned.

It's a little disheartening to see a lot of SCs in trashed condition. Seems like a lot of people who get their hands on one find 20" chrome wheels to be more important than general maintenance and upkeep.

Does anyone else feel this way? I know there are a lot of clean examples out there, but I seem to want one less every time I see a ghetto one on the street.
A couple 5 speeds locally available for sale were trash.. i.e. ugly body kits, dents dings, miscmatched fenders & hoods etc..
Old 01-26-10, 04:05 PM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know exactly what you mean bro especialy the new SC owners that are ex 240 drift nerds thats why we gotta save them..... here she was when i first picked it up

Last edited by YeA 2jZ; 01-26-10 at 04:14 PM.
Old 01-26-10, 04:09 PM
GZZ-TT
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SC's are cheap to buy, so the same ppl who rice out Civic's, and donk out Impalas- are grabbing up SC's. It's very sad to see.
Old 01-26-10, 04:10 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

Almost every low priced SC I found when I was looking to buy one last year and even now were total trash. The only ones that were clean were either way too expensive, had too many miles or were horribly overpriced. Half of the ones I see on the road now are beat and the other half are driven by old people. Me and my friend seem to have the only 2 clean stock SC's around here.
Old 01-26-10, 05:15 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Kira X
Almost every low priced SC I found when I was looking to buy one last year and even now were total trash. The only ones that were clean were either way too expensive, had too many miles or were horribly overpriced.
It's sad to see that the cheaper ones are belted to hell. However saying that, imo an SC in mint condition deserves to be of much higher value than the beaters. If everything on it has been looked after I don't see a reason in selling them off at a low price just because the market's dead. It is a niche vehicle with (what used to be) a small market segment.

It's even more varied when it comes to the private import market here. There's not much difference between a crap and decent condition Soarer (for example) but the well looked after and mint ones still go for decent prices.
Old 01-26-10, 05:29 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I know, dam Those guys that put 20's!
Old 01-26-10, 05:41 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Some members on here have put 20's but they've got the rest to go with it so it looks quite nice. Personally I'd do 19's on a Soarer with a kit or 18's with stock body.

Back onto it though (and something I forgot to add into my post), many of the beat up ones are thanks to people buying them simply because they're cheap. They don't realise the cost of maintenance (while being quite reasonable) all the little things add up and in many cases can't afford to fix them so they just flog them off for whatever they can get for them. This seems to be the case for Soarers in Australia at least. I'm not even going to mention how many are running around with yellow headlamps, blown airbag struts and turbos, blank dash, you name it.

Last edited by BLK13X; 01-26-10 at 05:46 PM. Reason: More on the GFC relative to Soarer prices :p
Old 01-26-10, 05:59 PM
FormosaSC
Lexus Champion

I see so many SC's treated like crap... it is sad to see, I'm seeing the drifting crowd snatching these cars up, putting stupid wide rims, unpainted replica body kit, and finishing it off with some stupid key chain stuffed animal hanging off the back of the car... Sad.
Old 01-26-10, 06:05 PM
MIGS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Its no big deal.

ya'll act as-if its ONLY SCs that get mistreated and or done up real ugly/ghetto. lol

i've seen ALL models of cars get the "hood" treatment. lol

blah..
Old 01-26-10, 06:28 PM
outlaw0209
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by YeA 2jZ
I know exactly what you mean bro especialy the new SC owners that are ex 240 drift nerds thats why we gotta save them..... here she was when i first picked it up
You're trippin. Real dedicated 240 owners would know way better how to mod an SC than most people. In example (WHEEL FITMENT, nice aero (if any), car stance, etc... )

It's those wannabe drifters that get into 240's that come from previous ricered cars and just make a whole group of people look bad that you need to worry about, but most of all just ghetto people, ricers, and wannabes in general. They are scattered all over different types of cars.
Old 01-26-10, 06:31 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by MoogieBoogie

DAUM moogie, out of the shadows eh? Yeah the price of the SC fell to where the price of the ES WAS at when you had yours last. You know what happens when an SC is as cheap as an ES?
Old 01-26-10, 06:35 PM
SC_coupe
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts

I'm seeing the drifting crowd snatching these cars up, putting stupid wide rims, unpainted replica body kit, and finishing it off with some stupid key chain stuffed animal hanging off the back of the car... Sad.
The ghetto SC's mentioned in this thread are casualties of the "dub" craze of the early 2000's. Five years from now, we'll be complaining about the beat SC's that people tried to make into "drift" cars.

Side note: No offense to those here who correctly equip the SC to slide; you guys are doing it right. (BigWaveSC, Biggu, a few others...)
Old 01-26-10, 06:41 PM
Superjatt
Lexus Test Driver

Im kinda go against the traffic.
My girlfriends who loves older cars hangs out with her friends that have the passion for raising cars and putting big rims. ITS THER THING. they dont like my sc because i have a Ricer look somehow. i see supra and my heart stops, and when they see a supra they say. ahah look at that little car burning rice. so i think it all depends on how YOUR own taste is. let them float there boat and you float yours..

Quick Reply: ghetto SC's?