SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

You HAVE to be joking!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-02, 10:45 AM
lexlikenother
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default You HAVE to be joking....PICS of my wreck

Today as I was driving on campus after finishing my last exam, BAM!!! THIRD wreck in FIVE months!!!! We weren't going that fast, maybe 10-20 mph, so no one was hurt. I still have the bumper and fender on UNPAINTED from the last time!!! I just went yesterday to get estimates on the paint. I guess the paint holds the bumper together, because it split my one month old 97+ bumper open about 1 foot. It also scratched my right headlight pretty bad, and moved my fender to the right. Last two wrecks it was the front left that got damaged, now it's the front right. It hasn't been my fault any of the three times, and yes, everytime it has been with women drivers. So now that I'm going to have to take it off and get it painted, how should I do it. Should I let them try to match the color of my car. Then bring the (new) bumper and (left) fender to the shop, let them paint it. Bring that home and put it on my car, then bring my car back to let them "blend." Or is there even a need for them to "blend" i.e., what does that entail?? I know it says that they are supposed to take off the outside rear view mirror and then take apart the door and stuff, but I don't see why that is necessary?? I'm trying to do as much work that I can, so I can spend the rest on other mod's. So now I'm going to have brand new left AND right headlights (lowbeams). Only thing that sucks is because the bumper wasn't painted, I don't get the extra money from that. So the only thing I see saving money on this time is for taking on/off the bumper and headlight.

Has anyone ever heard of such bad/good luck? lol

Last edited by lexlikenother; 05-20-02 at 10:54 AM.
Old 05-18-02, 05:10 PM
lextsy
Driver School Candidate

The reason they detrim the door is so no tape lines or paint edges can be seen. Depending on the color of your Lex, blend may not be necessary. When they blend a panel, the fog in the base (color) coat about half-way into the pane (say half-way on door) and then they come back and clear the whole door. This way the human eye cannot tell a difference in color, but I have seen some panels that blending did not help due to color was off so much. It almost gives a fading look from front to back. You may want to have the shop tint to match the paint and see how close it looks, today's technology can get colors real close.
Old 05-18-02, 07:17 PM
ChronoJ1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's not too bad compared to my case. 2 accidents in 3 weeks after vacation...
Crashed my SC400 into a tree because of break malfunction...and few days ago I wrecked a Discovery with a rental truck which I rented to deliver a piece of furniture to my house myself...

Guess what... I have a deductible of 1000 dollars...
So that makes 1000 for my SC and another 1000 for the truck.
Plus, I have to pay for the tires that I blew during the accidnet... (sc400-- my insurance company says they are going to pay only 10% of the tire price since there was only 10% of tread left on them)... Plus, I have to pay for the loss of usage of the rental truck while it is in the repair shop...

So, that's a grand total of whoppin' 3000 dollars.

Last edited by ChronoJ1; 05-18-02 at 07:20 PM.
Old 05-19-02, 01:36 PM
the_ez_rhino
Lead Lap

I wrecked my SC, then wrecked my dads ES 2 weeks later.
Both my fault (well so the cop claims, the 1st one shouldnt have been my fault, but the 2nd one clearly was.)
Old 05-19-02, 04:37 PM
Toog4me
Lexus Champion

atleast a ****in bear didnt attack your car!!!
Old 05-19-02, 10:44 PM
lexlikenother
Pole Position

Yeah Toog, that would suck, I don't think I have that coverage in my insurance lol. Here are some pics I just took. I'll take some more, when it's daytime, b/c you can't see the scratches on my headlamp. Oh yeah, and right when I was walking outside to take these, this soupped up new celica with it's one hyperwhite headlamp was coming down the street, and almost came to a stop when it was driving by my car (which is parked in the street.) It's like they didn't even care that I was RIGHT there watching them. I think they were actually looking at my messed up bumper. lol
Attached Thumbnails You HAVE to be joking!?!?!-bumper-tear.jpg  

Last edited by lexlikenother; 05-19-02 at 10:49 PM.
Old 05-19-02, 10:50 PM
lexlikenother
Pole Position

another
Attached Thumbnails You HAVE to be joking!?!?!-bumper-tear-2.jpg  
Old 05-19-02, 10:51 PM
lexlikenother
Pole Position

:eek:
Attached Thumbnails You HAVE to be joking!?!?!-bumper-tear-3.jpg  
Old 05-19-02, 10:53 PM
lexlikenother
Pole Position

Last one. As you could probably tell by now, it was a GREEN van.
Attached Thumbnails You HAVE to be joking!?!?!-bumper-tear-4.jpg  
Old 05-21-02, 03:17 PM
ForNgoods
Lead Lap

damn john, i leave town for a couple of days and you go get yourself into an accident. Well i hope u did better on finals than me. mine where jus about as bad as bad could be. anyhow i need to fix my lex too.. i backed into this girls car the other day a while back and it still not fixed . I haven't even told my parents yet. i'm sure they'll jus love to know though. Where was the accident anyway? well a good bit of news, i finally ordered my body kit so it'll be in a couple of weeks.
Old 05-21-02, 08:03 PM
lexlikenother
Pole Position

Hahaaaa, glad to see you're back. Yeah I didn't do too good on the finals either, probably b/c I didn't study that much. lol It was on Saturday, after I JUST finished my last exam. I was on S. Stadium, coming from S. Stadium Lot, and I was at the light where S. Stadium crosses Highland. It's the light right by John Parker Coliseum Lot. Well I wanted to go straight, and you know how on the opposite side, they have a left turn lane, and the lane that goes straight, just like on the side I was on. Well we were stopped, and the light turned green. So I went and this green van started to turn left, well I honked my horn, and she kept going, then I just hit the back left of her. So I keep going, and pull in the Coliseum lot, and park in the motorcycle parking, facing Highland. Well her dumb a$$ stops in the middle of the road, and blocks up traffic half way down Highland. lol And the damage wasn't even that bad to her car. So this lil kid, probably about 15, runs across the street, and goes "Sorry man, we didn't see you." And I'm thinking , "I blew my fu***** horn at you for about 10 seconds, how did you not see me??!!" But what I actually said was "And I JUST put this bumper on too damnit." So the lady comes over and apologizes, then we call LSUPD, and they come. So then they cop tells her to move her van, because she's blocking all the traffic.

So we both tell what happens, and we exchange information. So I ask him if he was going to write it down as her fault. He says that we BOTH said that the light was green, so that the insurance companies will fight over it. And I was like "Hellll, no." I had to explain to him that SHE was supposed to to yield to ME, and that it was HER fault. Then he was like I didn't see that much damage to your car. So I told him to get out of his car (cuz you can't see the front right of my car, when you are sitting in your car , and can only see the back left...duhhh). So then I showed him that my bumper was split, and that the headlight was scratched. So he said he'd put it in his report.

Call her insurance, State farm, (same company that first wreck person was insured by, and they were *****es then...and are still *****es) and they said that the lady was saying it was MY FAULT!!! I'm like WTF b/c she kept saying how sorry she was over and over. So I think that state farm says that their person is denying it no matter what. So I was going to be in the Import Auto Show 2002 face off, but now I have to wait to get all of the stuff again, and get it painted.

Another thing, EVERY time I go see about getting the final step finished, I get in another wreck. Like friday, i went to the body shop to get an estimate on a paint job, and then Saturday I get in another wreck. It happens EVERY time, lol. But it works out for the better because they said that I would have to take off my bumper and fender anyway. So at least I get some extra $$ this time.
Old 05-21-02, 08:08 PM
lexlikenother
Pole Position

BTW, didn't see that much damage to your rear in the pics, did it happen after that? As long as no paint is chipped, you're in pretty good shape. Can't wait for that body kit to come in, sounds like it's gonna be awesome. I can help put it on, I'm becoming an EXPERT in bodywork on my SC. lol
Old 05-22-02, 08:13 PM
ForNgoods
Lead Lap

yeah i took the pic on the side that doesn't show the dent anyhow my mom jus saw it today so maybe she'll help me pay for it. the thing w/ the paint is it's not chipping yet but i can tell it will cause there cracks around the dented area. Thanks for the offer if i need help i'll give u a call or something.