SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Sc300/400 Faq

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-02, 10:48 PM
Ryan
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Sc300/400 Faq

Okay, we all talk about putting together a FAQ. I just found the one from Ladman.com - glad I saved it before the site went down. Maybe one of the admins here can post it on the site as well (not just a message board). It would be great if we could all add to it. Does anyone know what happened to Lee Dye? I heard he passed away, but that was never confirmed. If anyone wants to get more info, the message board is still alive over there (pop-ups suck though): http://pub4.ezboard.com/fladmanlexussc300400sportcoupe

Ryan

-----------------------------------
The following is a Q&A of the most requested items that we have received here at Ladman.com

Interior:

1) Q-The needles on my gauge assembly flicker. What can I do?
A)-All US Lexus models suffer from this after 5 years or so. Each needle has in it from 5-10 real tiny bulbs that burn out or have a bad connection (thus the flickering) .Unfortunately if it is one of the speedo or RPM needles, Lexus makes you buy the whole thing for $500.00+. If it is one of the side fuel or temp needles than that assembly can be purchased for around $175.00. The needles cannot be purchased separately which is unfortunate since Lexus would actually make more money by selling the needles since owners are unwilling to shell out an outrageous amount of cash for just some flickering needles.

2) Q-My leather is wore out. Lexus wants two arms and two legs for replacement leather. Can I get them elsewhere?
A)- Yes you can. These earlier years did not have the best quality leather which resulted in premature wear. You can get replacement leather at:
http://www.gahh.com/

3) Q-The lights on my stereo and/or climate control units are burned out. The dealer said that I either have to replace the whole unit or give them the car for a week so that they can send it out to be fixed. Can I replace the bulbs myself?

4) A-Yes you can though it takes some technical prowess. If it is the bulb that lights up the LCD displays than the procedure gets a bit more involved as the bulbs have to be purchased from a electronics store (not Radio Shack, a REAL electronics store) and must be soldered in to replace the other soldered bulbs. If it is one of the other bulbs than they can be purchased through the dealer and can be pulled out and a new one pushed in though it sounds much much easier than it is.

5) Q-My window goes up and down very slowly. What is it?
A)The window motor/regulator unit is going out. It can be opened though and rebuilt if you are so inclined. On earlier cars with high mileage the ground wire or other wire in the door harness where the hinge is located sometimes breaks do to the opening and closing of the door bending the wires back and forth. The solution is to recrimp the wire(s) though diagnosing is a bit more involved.

6) Q-How do I take off the shifter lever?(earlier cars)
A-On the bottom of the shifter lever is a plastic sleeve that you squeeze and pull down 2 inches. This will expose 2 phillip screws which are removed and than the shifter lever can be pulled up and off.

7) Q-How do I install the second cup holder?
A-Remove the shifter unit (see above). Take out the cupholder in the middle and remove the two screws. Than the bezel unit can be pulled off the center console by gently pulling on it. Remove the connectors from behind the bezel. Now install the second cup holder and reinstall everything the same way.

8) Q-The cd changer in the car is malfunctioning (or skipping too much), can I replace it with one from the local stereo shop?
A-The cd changer in these cars are Pioneer units (even the Nakamichi systems) and have many common internal parts with other run of the mill Pioneer units. Try cleaning the unit first with a dry cleaning cd system first. Then if that does not do it take it to a stereo shop or dealer to have it repaired.

9) Q-The rear or front or subwoofer speaker(s) stopped working. It is the speaker(s)?
A-These units are controlled by two separate amps with one driving the speakers and the other for just the subwoofer. If you have a speaker(s) out than first check the speaker with another known good one and if nothing happens than check the amp. The subwoofer is controlled by it's own amp and the amp is known to go out. Replacement of the amp is necessary. The speaker amp is located in the trunk under the cover next to cd changer. The subwoofer amp is located in : Pioneer systems-under the rear deck located in-between the passenger rear speaker and subwoofer. To gain access remove the seat and cushion (10 minutes)-Nakamichi (lucky you)-the subwoofer amp for this system is next to the speaker amp under the cover.

Engine/Transmission

1) Q-My SC400 pings under load. What is wrong? (Assuming no Engine Check light is on)
A-Well first of all ALL Lexus V8's ping. What? Yes that is true. Even the manual states this. This is normal and has no adverse affects on the motor. Now to continue...If it is a severe pinging than you may want to look elsewhere. For one, try changing the gas you are running. There is a very wide disparity between the different brands of gas on the market. Try using a different grade-both higher AND lower to see if one helps or eliminates the pinging. If you reside in a state (California,Florida...) and between the months of Nov and Feb than you are really hurting since they introduced the so-called "Oxygenated" fuel to reduce emissions. This fuel actually produces MORE emissions and many many cars (not just Lexus) have a very difficult time combusting this fuel efficiently which has resulted in many concerns for car owners from a real loss of power, lower MPG,pinging, to ACTUAL engine damage. Try using a octane booster and see if this helps. Two- You may have a air/vacuum leak. Check all hoses and boots for cracks. Three-Make sure that the vehicle is not in the need of a tune-up. Four-Inspect the TPS (throttle position sensor) for wear.

2) Q-My car is low on power at lower RPM's. Why?
A)Could be many things. Assuming that a complete tune-up has been performed with quality parts than check the following. Many if not ALL high mileage SC's (especially 400's with 90k and above) develop ALOT of carbon buildup on the inside of the throttle body which blocks air flow when the throttle is lightly pressed. The plenum moves just a tad but the air flow is still blocked from the carbon buildup. The solution is to remove the throttle body and remove this carbon buildup with a good quality carb/FI cleaner. The carbon buildup is between the throttle body and the intake so it is not possible to clean it through just the opening on the TB. It must be removed. Remove the rubber intake boot and the 4 bolts on the TB. The bottom of the TB has two coolant hoses used to heat it up in colder climates. Remove those. Now remove the crankcase hose from the bottom. That's it. Be careful as the hoses may be brittle and we recommend replacement at this time. The total time-1hr. Secondly check the TPS (throttle position sensor) for wear. This is common on earlier cars and if you do replace it make sure you get the updated superseded TPS. . Also see question #2 above for fuel.

3) Q-Will a KNN filter damage my car?
A-I am aware of two situations where an "overly" oiled KNN filter is installed in the car started right up which has resulted in alot of oil runoff to flow up into the mass air flow sensor "vortex sensor" and impede the readings resulting in false signals to the ECU. The fix-Replace the MAFS. Oouch as this is alot of $$$$. But other than this no. They are good quality filters that will last the lifetime of the vehicle. Just do not over oil them.

4) Q-Must I remove the throttle body to get to just ONE spark plug on my SC300?
A-Yes and more. The top intake tubing must also come off. A very time consuming procedure to get to just ONE spark plug. It could of been designed better. Just ensure that you use a quality spark plug. No Champions,Splitfires or Autolites.

5) Q-Where is the fuel filter?
A-It is under the car on the drivers side in front of the rear tire. Be careful when doing this since these filters never seem to screw in just right and you may have fuel coming down from the tank.

6) Q-What kind of oil should I run in my car?
A-We highly recommend a synthetic based oil such as Castrol Syntec and Mobil 1. Their high cost is easily absorbed through the piece of mind in knowing that your engine is protected.

7) Q-Do I have to replace my battery with a factory battery or will the local auto store battery be good. Also can I use a higher amp battery?
A-The factory battery is an excellent battery for replacement. You can also purchase a good battery from your local auto supply store. Good batteries are Exide Nascar Select, Interstate and the top of the line Diehard Gold. Cranking amps is like HP, the more the better. A good 1100 CA battery will do great in these cars considering all of the power equipment. Just make sure that you get a exact group size battery that fits just like your old one. A battery must be secure in the car so that when the car goes over bumps in everyday life the internal plates will not slap each other creating problems for the battery and maybe the car. Tip-You DO NOT have to use distilled water in a battery regardless of what you may have read. It makes NO difference at all. This straight from the largest battery makes in the world.

8) Q-Can you recommend a good repair manual?
A-The factory repair manual is the only way to go. It is a two piece set that runs for around 200.00 for earlier SC's and over 400.00 for later ones. They are worth every penny though. Other sources are Popular Mechanics and All Data that have repair manuals on cd format. They are not even close to the factory manuals though.

9) Q-Should I convert my pre-93 SC AC system from R12 to R134A?
A-No. The R134A conversion kits are not as effective in cooling as the R12. R12 is a much much better cooling property than R134A. In can be done and the car will still get cold (though not as cold) but we do not recommend it. The R134A system in newer cars are designed for this stuff and operate very well with it. R134A is heavier than R12 and thus your engine and expensive AC compressor will have to work harder to put it to use. If you have environmental concerns over your R12 use than keep in mind that R132A is just as or MORE damaging to the atmosphere than R12. The only benefit from conversion is that the R134A is readily available( for now) and the R12 is scarce unless you live near Mexico.

10) Q-What is the difference between the POWER mode and the ECONO mode for the transmission?
A-You do not get any more power in the power mode but what you do get is a more aggressive shift pattern. Gear kickdowns are snappier and the revs will rev higher.

11) Q-What kind of tranny fluid should I run in my auto trans?
A-You should consult your owners manual however the breakdown is as follows:
6 cylinder models(SC300,GS300,ES300) -Dextron II,III / All V8 models (SC400,GS400,LS400)-Toyota Type 2,3 or 4 whichever is newest. V8 owners DO NOT use Dextron in your transmission as it can and will cause damage to your transmission. The dipstick on these models state "Type II", which is NOT to be confused with Dextron II. Thanks to Muazzam Imran for the update.

12) Q-How do I know if my motor mounts are bad? What symptoms will I see?
A-This is much more prevalent on the SC400 than the SC300 since there is more load placed on the driveline. On both models (most cars in fact) the best way to test the mounts is to choke the wheels, put the hand brake on firmly, lift the hood, now put your foot firmly on the brake pedal and while holding the brake pedal put the car into D(drive) and press the gas pedal a 1/4 of the way quickly. The motor should move a little but not "JUMP" out of place. If it does the mount on the drivers side is bad. Now put the car in R(reverse) and while still holding the brake pedal firmly repeat the the test by quickly pressing the gas pedal a 1/4 of the way and check for the same in the opposite direction. If the motor "JUMPS" out from the right side than the right mount is bad. Many times on the SC400 the owner takes the car into the shop for a hesitation/surging while cruising at 40mpg in top gear while the motor turns around 1600 rpm. It turns out the motor mount is bad and because of the low RPM and high load being put on the driveline, the motor "Rubber bands" creating a hesitation,surging feeling that 99% of mechanics (even Lexus Master Techs) cannot diagnose the first time around properly.

13) Q-What brand of filters do you recommend?
A-Dealer brand only. Unless you want to run a K&N air filter. The oil filter should be dealer however. Do not use FRAM, PENZOIL,NAPA,GROUP 7,GODZILLA, or any other oil filter other than the TOYOTA filter at the dealer. There is no comparison in quality. HINT: The dealer filter list for over $15.00 while at the Toyota dealer a filter list for $4.95. Why? The Lexus filter casing is actually heat treated while the Toyota dealer version is just painted. Same filter inside so you can get the Toyota dealer version with no worries. Now the Toyota dealer will not list Lexus cars so just get the Lexus # and give this to your Toyota parts person to cross over.

Exterior:

1) Q-My headlights have moisture in them. Do I have to buy a new unit?
A-No, this is common and the solution is to remove the unit. Let it air out completely and than apply some silicon around the seal where the glass joins the housing. This will prevent future problems. Make sure you realign the headlight after reinstalling it.

2) Q-I have a SC300 without the front black lower valance that I see on SC400's. Can I buy one and install it on my car?
A-No. The SC400's front assembly is actually different and has holes for the lower spoiler. The SC300 does not. I do understand though that one can actually get one to fit if so inclined if you want to make new holes.

3) Q-Can I add the blue HID lights on my earlier year SC?
A-Yes and No. You can add blue light bulbs to your car however they will NOT give you the advantage of real HID lights. In fact some of them are actually illegal depending on what you get. HID lights are actually a completely different setup that requires the complete assembly with associated hardware to operate it. They are not just plug and play. Some of these blue bulbs that you see on the market are a bit brighter than stock but be careful and check local laws. Now a company does sell a complete REAL HID setup for around 800.00. This is the real thing. Check out: http://www.xenonlamps.com/ for more.

4) Q-Can I add a rear spoiler from a SC400 onto my SC300?
A-Yes. A few places on the NET sell the rear spoiler for the SC400 (for those that did not come with it) and SC300 cars. You can install either the earlier flush spoiler or the newer raised unit. You will have to replace the lift struts though as the stock ones are not strong enough for the added weight of the spoiler.

5) Q-How do I take off the emblems on my car?
A-The front emblem is held on by three nuts on the back. The rear Lexus emblem on the trunk lid is pried off with a tape covered chisel. The "Lexus" emblem on the back is also pried off with a tape covered chisel. The SC300,SC400 emblem is held on by 3 nuts on the back.

Misc:

1) Q-Where should I go to have service done on my Lexus?
A-The dealer. If you want to take it elsewhere like your local lube N tune than you are taking chances. The dealer has the OEM (original equipment manufactured) parts to fit you vehicle. You local shop will more than likely use the least expensive part they can find and charge you a hefty fee for it. Do you really want to take the chance? If you are fortunate enough to know of a good, honest local shop than by all means have them work on it. Just request premium parts or get the parts yourself and take them there. Be forewarned however that shops make an average of "250%" on parts below $50.00 and a little less margin on more expensive parts. In other words they make alot of money on their parts (the ones that they buy from the local auto store) and may not want to install YOUR parts if you bring them. If they do than many shops will state that they will not honor any warranty on their work by putting in this other part even if it is the EXACT same part.

2) Q- I get a rumble or funny noise from the front end when I drive very slowly (around 5-10mph). What could it be?
A-The suspension on these cars are wonderful. Compliant yet stiff enough for spirited driving. However many times (especially with newer high performance tires) you will hear a noise sounding like a bad front wheel bearing coming from the front end. This is normal. However you should still have it checked out for anything that might be wrong. This is a popular complaint that many dealers are asked to look at.

3) Q-Can I damage my car when I drive with the Overdrive engaged all of the time?
A-Sort of. Let me explain. Though many cars should not be driven with the OD engaged all of the time because of eventual damage to the transmission, Lexus transmissions will not be damaged this way and can be driven without any worry or fear of damage to the trans. However when you are cruising in OD top gear at around 1500-1800RPM you are "Lugging" the engine by placing a much higher "Load" on the motor by asking the motor to do more work with less power. This is not very healthy for the motor and could lead to premature wear on the engine. Though on a Lexus motor this could still be higher than your regular car.

4) Q-I have a torn ball joint boot, can I purchase the boot or do I have to buy a whole new ball joint which is alot of $?
A-As long as the joint is not damaged, the best course is to first grease it and than clean the area on the outside. Now get some black silicon and cover the tear on the boot liberally. Let set overnight and it should hold like new. This will also work for other boots such as CV and tie rods.
Old 05-15-02, 06:28 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a great start, we definitely need an FAQ section, despite a couple of technical innacurracies in ladman's info, it's still a good start. Oh, and all Lexus V8's do not ping, a 5.2 Magnum Grand Cherokee is a different story....

Last edited by Lex Luthor; 05-15-02 at 06:30 AM.
Old 05-15-02, 06:31 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I vote for an FAQ this way there aren't same questions over and over.
Old 05-17-02, 06:29 PM
machinegt
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pertaining to the FAQ's overdrive question and answer,
i have a 98 sc400 where the gated shifter has D 4 3 2 L

D enables overdrive, but its also seems like what u should
put it in for normal driving (right ?)

but is this FAQ saying i should drive in 4 more ?
Old 05-17-02, 06:47 PM
Static911

Well, someone start a FAQ thead. I'm still trying to get a Tech Tips and DIY section up for all models of Lexus.

Ethan
Old 05-17-02, 08:55 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

I see a few inadequacies in this FAQ, but overall it's on the right track. I think a single thread is too small for a general FAQ on the SC300/400 since there are sooo many topics to cover and differing opinions for each one of them. I'm seeing ten different conversations/arguements going on at once in one thread, which will lose sight of it's goal eventually. First we need to establish every FAQ that we want to write up, and begin categorizing them into sections. Then we will tackle them one by one. I'd say one FAQ per week where we collectively discuss what we should set in stone.
Old 05-18-02, 10:12 PM
1992sc400
Driver School Candidate

O.K. I have a question. Can anyone tell me how to replace the trim piece that surrounds the center HVAC ducts? Mine is cracked in two places.
Old 05-18-02, 10:27 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Unfortunately, I don't think that piece is replaceable. You can seal the cracks with molding, however. I believe someone here has already done so with impressive results. I don't remember the thread, but you can do a search for it. There were before/after pictures of it too.
Old 05-19-02, 05:34 PM
Toog4me
Lexus Champion

Finally, another 98 sc... BTW, is it bad to gate shift the car from l-4 to D??? Someone told me its not good for the engine.

But this is very helpful!
Old 08-30-02, 02:09 AM
ruki400
Pole Position

Abou that FAQ. My motor doesnt ever ping and if any car does u have a problem. I also use napa oil filters and always have because there just as good as a Toyota filter.
Old 08-30-02, 01:51 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

I like the M1 high efficiency filter...
Old 02-03-04, 04:18 AM
andytseng
Driver School Candidate

This FAQ is really valuable, and it seems like it deserves a bump every now and then...
or maybe a sticky?
Old 02-03-04, 02:53 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

it is in exactly 6,825 places on this site......... i think that's enough.

lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

http://www.intellexual.net/faq.html

Last edited by O. L. T.; 02-03-04 at 02:54 PM.
Old 02-03-04, 04:03 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default a/c vent cracks

Originally posted by 1992sc400
O.K. I have a question. Can anyone tell me how to replace the trim piece that surrounds the center HVAC ducts? Mine is cracked in two places.
I have those cracks too. The dealer wanted over $500 to replace the unit. Instead, I bought an a dash kit that covers a/c vent trimming. Covers the center console too making the interior look like a new car. I think I did good for $200.