SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Finally sporting a 24 LED 5 speed cluster to match my 5 speed conversion!

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-09, 05:00 PM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ishootstuf
The climate control has soldered in bulbs, the twist in goodies are for the buttons and *****.
OiC So i am prob gonna have to do the cffl conversion then
Old 12-14-09, 05:02 PM
ishootstuf
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by YeA 2jZ
OiC So i am prob gonna have to do the cffl conversion then
Maybe... I haven't decided how to handle that yet.
Old 12-14-09, 05:08 PM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

I would love to try this but its almost inmpossible to find these kinda bulbs...
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...e-control.html

i found some but the sellers never got back to me as in the size of the tube in diameter of the tubes i am afraid they are to big in thickness for the climate
http://www.vibelights.com/coccliki.html

you think you can find something like this
Old 12-14-09, 05:21 PM
ishootstuf
Lead Lap

How about this?

Old 12-14-09, 05:27 PM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

oh damn your good bro

Last edited by YeA 2jZ; 12-14-09 at 05:37 PM.
Old 12-14-09, 07:53 PM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

Hey I just got the bulbs and I really wanna see what they look like what do I use and where do I connect to to add power to the cluster to see it lit up ?
Old 12-14-09, 08:49 PM
ishootstuf
Lead Lap

I didn't note where to supply power to the plugs, but I labeled two of the connections in this pic. The left side and right side are on different circuits on the ribbon cable goodie. I'm pretty sure they trace up to where this ribbon cable melted. No, I didn't melt it doing this job, it happened while I was driving 2 clusters ago. Stunk too... You can supply power to the LEDs while they are twisted into the sockets.

Old 12-14-09, 09:00 PM
ishootstuf
Lead Lap

I finally got a chance to drive my car in the daytime. It isn't quite bright enough for me - at least not with sunglasses on. I'm thinking of going CCFL like this guy did.
Old 12-17-09, 06:14 PM
snook
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did it in white, it's plenty bright for me, brighter than stock no doubt during the day and night. Maybe the blue is what's making it less bright than stock? What Ive done is put my headlights on auto and the interior light **** all the way just before it clicks to lock into full brightness. So during the day it automatically goes to full brightness like its clicked and locked, but at night its a shade less bright than all the way. It does the switch for you, if I had it clicked and locked at night it would be too bright and annoying/blinding.

I also have no hot spots or dead areas, I was careful to take the bulbs out and adjust them or change to another bulb for about an hour to get even lighting. If anything even on a slightly below max brightness level there is some bleeding through on the cluster because they are so bright. I went with the bright white bulbs, and also made the clock and trip green.

This is how the car should have come, it looks nice but I think Im so excited because it just looked like crap before.

Thanks to I shoot stuff for writing this up, Id never have attempted it on my own. I did it last night in the dark in my car with just the dome light and a screw driver, thats all you need is a phillips, the bulbs and patience to do this entire mod which is awesome.
I also used plastix on the glass inside and out to get any scratches and dirt off and make it gleam. If anyone needs any help Id be willing to do what i shoot stuff did for me through pms! thanks man

Hard to tell from the pics, wish I had a before and after picture to show how yellow it was before compared to now, it doesnt look as white or awesome as it is in person at all here
Attached Thumbnails Finally sporting a 24 LED 5 speed cluster to match my 5 speed conversion!-picture-007-large-.jpg   Finally sporting a 24 LED 5 speed cluster to match my 5 speed conversion!-picture-008-large-.jpg  

Last edited by snook; 12-17-09 at 06:19 PM.
Old 12-17-09, 06:48 PM
supralative
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Snook
that looks real good
i want white also to match my radio
i need the climate cluster done too
can you PM me please on the process
and the clock and trip area

thanks
Old 12-17-09, 06:55 PM
snook
Racer

Hey no problem, the ebay link is in this thread. Buy the bulbs it comes with 10 you need 8. Email the seller the color you want there is a choice of 5. Then basically just remove the cluster, pop out the lower unit with the brightness adjustment **** by lifting up. Then the cluster is in with 4 screws, 2 top 2 bottom, the cluster has 3 plugs in the back to get it out. Then start taking it apart until you see these 8 blue twist bulb sockets you need to remove. That picture is in this thread a couple times. Now remember like mentioned the leds only work one way so you have to be lucky or have a way to test which is + and - I just guessed and reversed the ones that didnt work until they all were good. The middle plug is the only one you have to plug in to get the whole cluster lit to test it each time. If there is a problem spot change the bulb or adjust how the 3 pieces are on top of the bulb until you are happy. you make the lighting on the trip and clock green by removing the orange plastic in front of them. It's really simple to take the cluster apart its about 20 screws you need to remove in total. the hardest part for me was getting the plugs out, I had to use the phillips to push down on the connector plastic clip and then pull with the other hand, they werent coming out otherwise

Once you get in there anyone can do this, just be patient take the cluster out onto a desk and work carefully not to mess it up or get dirt or finger prints inside

Last edited by snook; 12-17-09 at 06:58 PM.
Old 12-17-09, 07:24 PM
ishootstuf
Lead Lap

Snook, your cluster looks kick a$$! I love it! Maybe I'll go back to white. Hell, for $20 and 30 minutes, why not?

Thanks for the kind remarks everyone!
Old 12-17-09, 08:47 PM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

I did the white as well today. I have a dark spot though =(. I will fix it next time i open it up i was to lazy and to much of in a hurry go back and redo it for just one spot.

Last edited by YeA 2jZ; 12-17-09 at 08:54 PM.
Old 12-18-09, 10:05 AM
ishootstuf
Lead Lap

I finally got my LED's for the climate control, the trip reset\clock buttons, and volume\temp *****.

The ***** take 4 neo wedge T3's. The button takes 1 T3 neo wedge, and the climate control takes 3 T5 neo wedges. Note the 3 for the climate control only illuminate the buttons, not the LCD. I need to find out what bulbs to get and where to get them still.

I'll post pics of them installed later. I think the trip button is going to be very spotted. I also evened out the lighting of my cluster. I'll post those pics later too.

I got the LED's from this dude... warden_jp2002

OLT, where can I get the bulbs for the climate control that illuminate the LCD?

Climate Control...

Trip buttons...

Last edited by ishootstuf; 12-18-09 at 10:09 AM.
Old 12-18-09, 10:29 AM
snook
Racer

oh we gotta have pictures of these at night!

I wonder how your climate control will look with white buttons and green middle that might be awesome

Quick Reply: Finally sporting a 24 LED 5 speed cluster to match my 5 speed conversion!