SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Several newbie questions . . . .

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-09, 09:26 PM
cruiserunc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Several newbie questions . . . .

1) Wicked vibration in the right front at speed 50-65. Goes away at lower and higher speeds. We have rebalanced each wheel and rotated the tires, same vibration is there, can be felt and visible in the steering wheel.
Is this a wheel bearing? your thoughts/experiences?

2) Planned on pulling the headlights to clean them but having lots of difficulty determining how many attachment points and access. Have searched threads but have not found anything about a step by step on pulling the entire assembly unit. Good instructions on HID, bulb replacement, etc. If you can point me in the right direction, that would be great.

3) Offending relay and replacement. I presume it is a relay but the timer on the headlights does not work. If you select automatic, and they are on, they stay on. I've been watching ebay for an owners manual but at this point, one has not been posted.

4) any suggestions on replacing the stereo? if you have a double din or gps/combo unit, or a single din with a flat panel that you are particularly proud of and have posted, send me a link for a reference.

5) this was a repo and all I have is the valet key. Any suggestions on getting the remote/security system back to life or best to leave it alone and just have another valet key made?

Buy the way, it is a 99 SC 300 Silver (black interior) automatic with approximately 100k miles.

Thanks
Old 11-14-09, 10:45 PM
Hil
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1) Check the bushings on the control arm

2) There are a couple 10mm bolts on top, the hardest bolts to reach are under the fender. You need to remove the fender lining to access them. If you are just replacing bulbs you don't need to remove the bulb, just get someone with small hands.

4) I recommend getting a double din. With the new Metra kits out there they look awesome. I have a DD unit but I ain't proud of it. If you want to see some either search here or search the Audio section.

5) They sell blanks on eBay with the remote. I think you need to take it to the dealer to get programmed and cut.
Old 11-15-09, 07:28 PM
cruiserunc
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for your answer. Anyone else who can take a stab at one or more of the questions, I appreciate your help. Meanwhile, I'll check on the control arm bushings and eBay for the keys.
Anyone else out there with a thought about the radio and relay issue? I think SCboy is probably right about the double din but of course if there are other opinions, I would appreciate what you have to say, thanks.
Old 11-15-09, 08:33 PM
wexpac
Rookie

I also need to get myself a new key but I have 1 master still... I have been looking for keys all over the internet but I really wanted another oem key... any difference or should we just go with the cheapo eBay ones? an mybad wasnt trying to highjack ur thread

How about these keys?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Lexus...Q5fAccessories

Last edited by wexpac; 11-15-09 at 08:46 PM.
Old 11-16-09, 07:23 AM
89MA70
Pole Position

How much does it cost to get a new key cut and programmed? and also to program the keyless entry?
Old 11-16-09, 06:17 PM
okbobbo
Pole Position

Default Vibration

Sounds like either the flexible coupling in the drive shaft or the transmission mounts are cracked or broken.
Old 11-18-09, 04:18 AM
cruiserunc
Driver School Candidate

No problem hijacking the thread on the key, all good questions that I need to have an idea with how to answer.
This is really a great car, low mileage (just topped 95k) and the black leather interior is great, fast car, almost too fast at times, paid for, so if I can solve these problems I should have a great fun car for quite a few years.

The vibration feels more like something from a wheel, would the transmission mount give that feel? The bushing sounds reasonable but I don't want to focus on one possible solution and ignore others.

Anybody else with a navigation/radio solution? leaning toward a double din solution with a nav system.

Any suggestions on the overhead light/headlight relay? I presume this model had that function (where the headlights would time out/after minutes).

Of course one challenge with buying a car that was a repo, the car was stripped from anything that was not nailed down including the owners manual. I have several other similar age Lexus vehicles and have relied on them for a couple of questions but of course a group such as this, has far more information than what I can find in a manual.

Thanks