SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Has anyone ever mounted 10-spoke IS wheels on an SC?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-09, 06:15 PM
lexdud
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone ever mounted 10-spoke IS wheels on an SC?

I recently found out that the wheels on my SC4 were not "stock" ... and my goal is to leave it as stock as possible. I am not thrilled with the OEM wheels sold with the '93 model so I have decided to look elsewhere, towards other models.

I have the opportunity to purchase a set of '06-'09 IS 250/350 10-spoke wheels with tires. I believe they are 17x8. I think they would look nice on the car but I have not seen anyone else mount them on their SC in this forum. If a user decides upon an IS wheel, it is usual the 5-spoke. Here is a pic of the wheel:

http://img39.imageshack.us/i/74188.jpg/

Does anyone know if there are any issues with clearing the stock calipers or if the offset is off, requiring the use of spacers?

I really like these wheels and would appreciate some advice before I consider going to look at them.

TIA ...
Old 08-13-09, 06:29 PM
parnzen
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd go for it. They'd look oem on an sc.
Old 08-13-09, 06:41 PM
lexdud
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Ryeno
they'll clear but it will look tucked in. It wont look nice but it will look oem. Plus you wont be able to clear ls400 calipers.

So do you recommend spacers? My current wheels are also a little tucked in as well.
Old 08-13-09, 07:38 PM
djb5118
Lead Lap

no i recommend good rims first. OEM rims IMO are a waste of money but if you must atleast get isx50 18in rims so you can get some ls400 calipers in the future.
Why don't you just answer his question? If he wanted different wheels, he would have asked about them no? You come in trying to help then end up ripping on him...i dont get it

Originally Posted by lexdud
So do you recommend spacers? My current wheels are also a little tucked in as well.
It all depends on the offset of the wheel. You could get away with some sort of spacer I would think but you can always make that call after you get the wheels and put them on. If your car isn't lowered you should have any problems at all and you could still run a spacer. If you are lowered it is kind of situational.
Old 08-13-09, 07:56 PM
djb5118
Lead Lap

If no one tells him its a bad idea then he will never know its a bad idea. Get that?

OP at the end of the day "keeping the car oem" is a dumb idea. This is a lexus. Its all about the features and technology and style and blah blah blah. But the car is old, its out dated and its missing half the crap that make a lexus a lexus. (like a touchscreen headunit). You are going to realize one of two things if you keep driving the car. A) it IS out dated and you NEED to mod it to bring it into the 21st century. OR B) its out dated and you will be happier selling the car and getting a newer car with that nicer.
You saying that it's a bad idea is based on your personal opinion. Some things work for some people, and some don't. He wants to stay OEM and that is his choice.

Once again you go about saying stupid stuff for no reason.

OP I have OEM 18" rims from an IS350 and they fit fine without any lowering on the car. You should have no problem fitting 17s
Old 08-13-09, 08:13 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

no i recommend good rims first. OEM rims IMO are a waste of money but if you must atleast get isx50 18in rims so you can get some ls400 calipers in the future.
I'm still trying to figure out what's wrong with you and OEM rims...

Not everyone can afford aftermarket rims, and some prefer the clean look of OEM wheels...
Old 08-13-09, 08:29 PM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by 1UZ-SC
I'm still trying to figure out what's wrong with you and OEM rims...

Not everyone can afford aftermarket rims, and some prefer the clean look of OEM wheels...
+1

I say give them a shot if you like how they look. Personally I think they would look great in a dark silver.

Last edited by TRD_Power; 09-23-09 at 03:22 PM.
Old 08-13-09, 09:36 PM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

lexdud - I actually considered those wheels for my stock SC. I think they would fit the car pretty good for an oem wheel. I believe the specs are 17x8 with a +45 or +50 offset off of the awd is250. They should clear your brakes just fine.
Old 08-13-09, 10:33 PM
cactusmole
Driver School Candidate

But the car is old, its out dated and its missing half the crap that make a lexus a lexus. (like a touchscreen headunit).
Ah ****, really?!! Ok i'm going to build a time machine and go back to when they were designing this car and and bring them a touchscreen headunit and tell them this device here is what MAKES A LEXUS A LEXUS!
Old 08-14-09, 12:21 AM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Here we go again.

OP: Get the wheels man. If your goals are to keep it as stock as possible, these will be a great option.
Old 08-14-09, 12:40 AM
ahhyes300
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

uhm that was an example.

whats the one saying? If you cant afford it, dont buy it? Its the one that says if you cant afford a mod, dont cheep out and wait until you can afford it.

No oem rim looks good on the sc. The is anything rims are too thin and look bad from the rear. The supra tt rims are wide enough but are too small so they look bad from the side. Aftermarket is the only way to go.

Plus when you do the math, its like what 400-600 for aftermarket rims with bad/decent tires. And 800-1000ish for good tires/rims? So if you did get bad rims new tires = 400 atleast. So you are back at around 1000. I mean for that much money you might as well save up and get some good aftermarket rims for 1500-2000. Its a waste of money buying oem rims in the long run.

btw the people who prefer the "clean look of OEM wheels" are also the ones who cant afford aftermarket rims. Funny isnt it?
Yeah, I guess I can Agree it's better to not cheap out, and instead buy the wheels that you really want ( I dropped $1200 on SSR's when I really wanted CCW Classics ), But guess what the OP has stated he wanted...That's right, Oem wheels. It's clearly stated in post #1.

As for "No oem rim looks good on the sc" well that's YOUR opinion. Last time I checked, CL members P.R.S.22 and TroySC300 were doing a pretty good job of rockin IS350 wheels. There's absolutely nothing wrong with stating your opinion, I mean some people may not like rolled and pulled fenders like the 818 crowd, Some people may not like drift cars like members Biggu and JDMUSCLE and that's fine. Just make sure to state your opinion, Don't push it on people as if they're wrong for having one that oposes yours.
-Nick-

Last edited by ahhyes300; 08-14-09 at 12:48 AM.
Old 08-14-09, 12:55 AM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by OneJay
Here we go again.

OP: Get the wheels man. If your goals are to keep it as stock as possible, these will be a great option.
I agree with you man.

Its a waste of money buying oem rims in the long run.
Not necessarily true. Aftermarket wheels are generally more susceptible to bending and cracking than oem rims. Also, aftermarket are purely for looks unless you get some lightweight forged wheels. I think that certain oem wheels give the best combo of looks, durability, and function. I personally would rather run oem than brands like sportmax or whatever they are called nowadays for example (no offense to anyone). So who's wasting their money when aftermarket wheels bend and crack from daily driving?

btw the people who prefer the "clean look of OEM wheels" are also the ones who cant afford aftermarket rims. Funny isnt it?
Yes I have oem wheels so I can't afford bling $400-600 aftermarket wheels w/ bad tires? lol . Sorry to say but there is another world/ideas out there besides your own.
Old 08-14-09, 01:13 AM
bangdangvn
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^what? you saying RYENO ain't right allll the freaking time? hahaha. To OP. I have a 2nd gen IS and a sc300. I tried to put my SC spare tire on the IS because it's full size (IS spare is a freaking crazy yellow donut) but it didn't clear the IS brakes so I put on the 5 spoke IS300 wheels that I had sitting in the garage for the SC during winter, and that fit. So I believe TheMole is right in that it would clear the brakes since the IS300 wheels fit on the IS250 with bigger brakes than sc300, and the IS300 obviously fits the SC300

if you cant afford a mod, dont cheep out and wait until you can afford it.

you of all people....

Last edited by bangdangvn; 08-14-09 at 01:18 AM.
Old 08-14-09, 01:13 AM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Somebody photoshoped an ISF rims onto an SC, yeah it's not the same, but you should get the idea since they are also ten spokes I think???

oh yeah, please keep this one on topic lol
Old 08-14-09, 05:16 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

uhm that was an example.

whats the one saying? If you cant afford it, dont buy it? Its the one that says if you cant afford a mod, dont cheep out and wait until you can afford it.

No oem rim looks good on the sc. The is anything rims are too thin and look bad from the rear. The supra tt rims are wide enough but are too small so they look bad from the side. Aftermarket is the only way to go.

Plus when you do the math, its like what 400-600 for aftermarket rims with bad/decent tires. And 800-1000ish for good tires/rims? So if you did get bad rims new tires = 400 atleast. So you are back at around 1000. I mean for that much money you might as well save up and get some good aftermarket rims for 1500-2000. Its a waste of money buying oem rims in the long run.

yeah I know what's also funny is, if you can't afford a working fresh airbag, don't cheap out and sew it up yourself!

Quick Reply: Has anyone ever mounted 10-spoke IS wheels on an SC?