SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Should I buy this and sell my 98 SC400 Plat/Blk

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-09, 12:59 PM
Lex-Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the SC is payed for, I say keep the SC and buy the Benz. Plus I've had several MB's and they're hit or miss on reliability. I'm not saying don't get it, but keep the SC for it's reliability.

Last edited by Lex-Fiend; 04-06-09 at 01:03 PM.
Old 04-06-09, 01:30 PM
Avarec
Lexus Test Driver

Avarec AKA benzman!!! even i dont recommend newer benzez, they are pieces of ****, w123, 124's and 140s wore real work horses and still are,

be honest all this cl is pu$$y magnet, get layed anywhere you go, it ride and handles great also but maintenance will kill you

had '94 w124 e420 lil while ago blew doors off any SC lol
Old 04-06-09, 01:59 PM
Baoser
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

That CL looks pretty legit, up to u...u already have one...as opposed to dishin out money on top of having to mod the other one also...
Old 04-06-09, 02:17 PM
P Weezy
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That CL is siiick....but like a previous club lexus member said before...i'd keep the SC and if its paid for get the CL
Old 04-06-09, 02:23 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by Lex-Fiend
If the SC is payed for, I say keep the SC and buy the Benz. Plus I've had several MB's and they're hit or miss on reliability. I'm not saying don't get it, but keep the SC for it's reliability.
+2 you'll want to keep the sc around incase
Old 04-06-09, 03:28 PM
$loJam
Pole Position

The SC is paid for but I have a 05 RX 330 in the garage too. I only have a two car garage and never let my cars sit out so I figured I would replace the SC with something else but at this point I don't think I could get rid of it. A g35 coupe 6mt is tempting though.
Old 04-06-09, 04:10 PM
durtysc300
Lexus Test Driver

keep the sc..for the money you will spend on the MB you could spend on modding your ride..besides..its a 1998 SC400(rare enough) with black interior(very very rare) good luck finding one of those again
Old 04-06-09, 04:25 PM
$loJam
Pole Position

Originally Posted by durtysc300
keep the sc..for the money you will spend on the MB you could spend on modding your ride..besides..its a 1998 SC400(rare enough) with black interior(very very rare) good luck finding one of those again

You're right. Yeah I think I will just a get a really nice set of 19" wheels and a drop. I'm not into the engine/exhaust mod stuff. Maybe a carputer but that's it.
Old 04-06-09, 04:36 PM
$loJam
Pole Position

Originally Posted by INEEDANSC3
MB used to be solid reliable cars.......untill they merged with chrysler, then quality went down the ****ter. Now dont get me wrong the S65/SL65 AMG are badass but not really practical to own unless you are a millionaire and maint.and quality isnt an issue.

Check this site out for good MB info. http://www.mercedes-benz-usa.com/cl_class.php

The ONLY benz i would buy would be an OLD school (mid 80's) 300D because they can go 400k or more at 30+mpg

Thanks for the link bro
2000 CL 500 no thanks!
I bet the guy who owns this car is trying find a sucker to rid him of his problems with this pretty heap. lol
Old 04-06-09, 04:57 PM
SC_coupe
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts

No way! The only Mercedes-Benz W215 CL-Class you want is a 2004+ with factory warranty. My father was recently deciding between a 2005 CL500, or a 2006 CLS500, and after reading into the problems associated with Mercedes ABC (especially earlier models) he immediately decided on the CLS. All CL's come equipped with Mercedes ABC. I can tell you that all CL's have a recall to have all the high-pressure hydraulic ABC lines replaced. One of the ABC lines to the rear near the catalytic converter can also fail leading to fire. In the event of fire, there was a recall involving the CL's in which the fuel pump does not shut off. Go watch the Youtube video of the CL500 catching fire and exploding three times.

Recalls etc: http://www.lemonauto.com/complaints/...s/cl_class.htm

Really a shame because they are absolutely beautiful cars. Love the SC door hinges, the self-closing doors, stainless-steel door sills, and the stitched interior. These cars remind me of a modern-day UZZ32.
Old 04-06-09, 05:08 PM
vince1128
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by $loJam
True. Mercedes is a status car which I could care less about. I just admire their styling. I could afford it but who wants to drop 1k everytime the sob acts up. When I was in college back in 94 I worked at The Addison on the Ocean on A1A (Ocean Blvd) in Boca Raton, FL. I was a personal valet to millionaires/billionaires. I've driven everything from Mercedes to Rolls and Bentleys. I fell in love with the Lexus SC when I drove it for the first time in 94, a brand spanking new one. The older mercedes REALLY lose performance when they get old with a lot of mileage UNLIKE our SC's. I don't know about the new one's though. The MB's were always in the shop back then and they were brand new or a couple years old. I'll pass on the MB. Nice to look at though.

Off topic: True story:
When I was a kid I was also a valet at the Boca Resort & Club in Boca. This young rich kid came to the hotel with a brand new canary yellow drop top Ferrari Testerosa. They usually kept the baller's rides up front for VIP treatment. The kid was a total azzhole so they let me take the bad boy to back parking lot. I drove real nice and slow until I turned I turned the corner. I honked the horn to the other valets in the shack. We all took turns peeling out and hauling azz around the parking lot like speed racer . The parking lot was huge too. That was one bad azz car lol. That kid needed a new set of rear low pros when we got done with it haha! Good times back then.

Moral of this story: Don't EVER valet your car. Many valets are thieves and will hot dog your ride.
hahaha so true.. my grandparents live at whitehall 2 buildings down from the addison and i grew up passing the hotel everyday. thats random
Old 04-06-09, 06:59 PM
$loJam
Pole Position

Originally Posted by vince1128
hahaha so true.. my grandparents live at whitehall 2 buildings down from the addison and i grew up passing the hotel everyday. thats random
I also delivered The Palm Beach Post to all of the Ocean Blvd buildings in Boca Raton for three years back then. I know the Whitehall building very well. There was this senior security officer who was always sitting at the desk asleep when I came in (3 am or so), his name was Frank I think. Man I miss cruising down Ocean Blvd. We used to show off our rides on "the strip" in Ft lauderdale, kind of like a mini south beach.
Old 04-06-09, 07:04 PM
$loJam
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SC_coupe
No way! The only Mercedes-Benz W215 CL-Class you want is a 2004+ with factory warranty. My father was recently deciding between a 2005 CL500, or a 2006 CLS500, and after reading into the problems associated with Mercedes ABC (especially earlier models) he immediately decided on the CLS. All CL's come equipped with Mercedes ABC. I can tell you that all CL's have a recall to have all the high-pressure hydraulic ABC lines replaced. One of the ABC lines to the rear near the catalytic converter can also fail leading to fire. In the event of fire, there was a recall involving the CL's in which the fuel pump does not shut off. Go watch the Youtube video of the CL500 catching fire and exploding three times.

Recalls etc: http://www.lemonauto.com/complaints/...s/cl_class.htm

Really a shame because they are absolutely beautiful cars. Love the SC door hinges, the self-closing doors, stainless-steel door sills, and the stitched interior. These cars remind me of a modern-day UZZ32.

Thanks for the info! Daaaaang! I just watched that video of the CL 500 catching on fire and blowing up. Reminds of the Ford Pinto days haha

Here is the clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_gNpTPLltM