SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

50/50 Red/Clear 92-96 MIX TAIL LIGHTS: [Save your 92-94 lights!]

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-11, 11:29 PM
GZZ-TT
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chnk
why not clear the 95-96 bottoms, and use the 95-96 tails?
what does the 92-94 have over the 95-96, im not insulting anyone im just wondering
Did you read the thread and look at the pics?

It's kind of easy to see the difference... I've seen many pics where people just leave out the 95-96 diffusers, and in my opinion it doesn't have a factory appearance- part of the lights are diffused, and the other portions you can see the bulbs inside- like yours. I've seen threads where various people have fabricated diffusers from Home Depot plastic to replace the red and orange diffusers in the 95-96 lights as well, and that doesn't quite look factory either-usually. Using the 92-94 inner diffuser pictured earlier in the thread, (and visible in all of these pics) is an easy way to have a factory inner diffuser for an overall more factory cohesive look. It all comes down to what look you are going for I suppose, it's just that simple. Always nice to have options I think-- the choice is yours..

Last edited by GZZ-TT; 01-10-11 at 11:41 PM.
Old 01-11-11, 06:58 AM
ASTERiSK
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

i just get why u would buy a 95-96 taillight take the lens off clear it and put it on a 92-94 taillight? what does the 92-94 have over the 95-96 im not insulting anyone im just wondering
It was my brother's idea to decide to do this. Those spare parts were just like 20 bucks, so it was fairly cheap.
Old 01-11-11, 09:11 AM
chnk
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by UZZ-TT
Did you read the thread and look at the pics?

It's kind of easy to see the difference... I've seen many pics where people just leave out the 95-96 diffusers, and in my opinion it doesn't have a factory appearance- part of the lights are diffused, and the other portions you can see the bulbs inside- like yours. I've seen threads where various people have fabricated diffusers from Home Depot plastic to replace the red and orange diffusers in the 95-96 lights as well, and that doesn't quite look factory either-usually. Using the 92-94 inner diffuser pictured earlier in the thread, (and visible in all of these pics) is an easy way to have a factory inner diffuser for an overall more factory cohesive look. It all comes down to what look you are going for I suppose, it's just that simple. Always nice to have options I think-- the choice is yours..
ok that makes sense the homedepot diffusers look like crap,
The following users liked this post:
GZZ-TT (04-06-21)
Old 01-12-11, 04:41 AM
ScottURnot
Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ok that makes sense the homedepot diffusers look like crap,
Not sure I would agree that the Home depot diffusers "look like crap"

The 92-94 do give a nice stock look over the home depot but look like crap?
Attached Thumbnails 50/50 Red/Clear 92-96 MIX TAIL LIGHTS: [Save your 92-94 lights!]-dscf1593.jpg   50/50 Red/Clear 92-96 MIX TAIL LIGHTS: [Save your 92-94 lights!]-dscf1808.jpg  
Old 01-12-11, 10:36 AM
chnk
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottURnot
Not sure I would agree that the Home depot diffusers "look like crap"

The 92-94 do give a nice stock look over the home depot but look like crap?
i was hoping it be something that followed the stock diffusers, i didnt like the lizard skin look, so i just left it clear and put in leds
Old 01-12-11, 10:47 AM
Candela
Lead Lap

[QUOTE=ASTERiSK;6054966]

Brakes

What happened to the inner brake light? the ones that sit toward the center of the trunk.
Old 01-12-11, 01:44 PM
GZZ-TT
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ScottURnot
Not sure I would agree that the Home depot diffusers "look like crap" The 92-94 do give a nice stock look over the home depot but look like crap?
Scotts are the best I've seen with a fabricated lense that almost has a factory appearance. Definitely not crap-- Remember though he's an Engineer and I bet it still took him how many hours (2-3 days?) from opening lights, to going to Home Depot, to cutting out lenses, to shaping lenses, gluing in the pieces, letting it all dry, fretting that they will pop out, then gluing it all together and praying-- to make it "correctly". I wonder what the labor bill would be on the lights considering engineers salary Scott? haha

Last edited by GZZ-TT; 01-25-11 at 01:56 AM.
Old 01-12-11, 03:49 PM
OaklandLex
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm happy with my 97+ upgrade. The amber part is so small on these that I can live with it. Also I was able to sell my 93's for 80 bucks! Really helped me out at the time
Old 01-12-11, 10:45 PM
ASTERiSK
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Candela
What happened to the inner brake light? the ones that sit toward the center of the trunk.
My car is a 95' and I'm assuming those tails were stock (95 tails, might not be) and they were rewired. My brother did this for me and I didn't really know he was going to do it until the night he brought those spare tails he got like like 20 bucks.
Old 02-20-11, 12:21 PM
Tret
Pole Position

I'm working on this as we speak, I shall have some pictures of my "fail" redded out ones and the 95 pieces. I'll be doing a good cleaning on them before install as well eagle 1 NEVER DULL polish for the win!

Originally Posted by UZZ-TT
Hah, just 97-00 murdered tails which were on the SC (below), and the 50/50 92-96 mix tails.
Off subject a bit, but is that Veilside fortune NSX in the background? lol

Last edited by ScottURnot; 02-20-11 at 12:58 PM.
Old 02-20-11, 12:50 PM
GZZ-TT
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Tret
I'm working on this as we speak, I shall have some pictures of my "fail" redded out ones and the 95 pieces. I'll be doing a good cleaning on them before install as well eagle 1 NEVER DULL polish for the win!

Off subject a bit, but is that Veilside fortune NSX in the background? lol
Document the steps in pictures if you can still. Yeah that is a Veilside Fortune NSX (Not mine) the company that put those lights together for me had that as their shop car.
Old 02-20-11, 12:58 PM
ScottURnot
Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Tret
Are you doing 95's with the 92-94 inserts or 97's murdered out?
Old 02-20-11, 01:05 PM
Tret
Pole Position

Will do.

A WORD OF CAUTION: When you are removing the lesne from the backing don't HULK mode it off. Like UZZ-TT said, be CAREFUL. I'm scurriny for some sort of Krazy Glue or something for the one I sorta cracked haha.

@ ScottURnot - I just popped open some 1995 tail lights. I was a dummy at pick -n- Pull and forgot to get the harness *rolls eyes*. I'm going to do my BEST to show the age of my SC. I just view everything 97+ as the first step to SC430 failure(exterior that is), or major mainstream.
Old 02-20-11, 02:07 PM
Tret
Pole Position

Here we go, the first half of this D.i.Y. The reason I'm doing this is because my Redded out DiY was a failure. They look gorgeous at night but the lip stick red on top is growing old! lol

START:
You'll need the core of the 1992 tail lights, don't worry too much if you mess up the lense.
- Just to check with the Gurus: Are the 93-94 harnesses different? Last I checked the 1995 took THREE smaller lights on top of the tails. I've heard of some people (O.L.T.) Using the 92 harness on the 1995 when I'm 90% Sure that the 1992s take three of the BIG bulbs

Next...
You're going to want to put them in the over at 300 degrees for 6-7 minutes. I personally found 6.1/2 best for me. *NOTE: This is just the lens in there. I read forum boards of UZZ-TT wanting me to document this

And Then...
GENTLY the outter end of the tail light with a screw driver. If the adhesive is warm and gooey enough this should allow you to pull them apart slowly and carefully even with oven mits .
***P.S. SPREAD OUT WHERE YOU PULL. IF YOU HOLD "JUST THE TIP" YOU WILL START TO CRACK IT IN THE LOWER MIDDLE
SECTION LIKE I DID

You should then end up with THREE pieces like this
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...SC300/0004.jpg

Last edited by Tret; 02-20-11 at 02:09 PM. Reason: Direct link to un resized image.
Old 02-20-11, 02:13 PM
Tret
Pole Position

Do any of you guys have any recommendations on how I can seal that crack a bit better? I was thinking crazy glue but isn't that FLAMMABLE? lol

And I've a final question before I continue, how much do I have to modify the harness?

Quick Reply: 50/50 Red/Clear 92-96 MIX TAIL LIGHTS: [Save your 92-94 lights!]