SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

I get shocked everytime i touch my door!

Old 03-21-09, 09:08 PM
LEX_MAN
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It happends to me from time to time, man but when it happends i look like a crack head geting out of the car. Picture this , i get out and try to tap on the door with my finger like 10 times when i close it,but miss the first 9 times. It looks like i lost my mind,and i always chuckle when i think someone would see me doing that. I hate getting shocked.
Old 03-21-09, 09:33 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

before you touch your car, take your house key and touch the key hole. Should discharge you without having to deal with the shock.
Old 03-21-09, 09:38 PM
vinh
Lexus Champion

take a look into this show and maybe you will find an answer

Old 03-21-09, 10:25 PM
92blacktt
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jewcano
I'm going to guess you have cloth seats.....if so, you moving on your cloth seats generates static electricity, when you touch the door you are discharging that static you built up....hope that helps.
yes i do have cloth seats, that makes the most sense...

also my garage is concrete...

now i get it
Old 03-21-09, 10:27 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 92blacktt

now i get it
I figured that was the issue since the same happens in my Sentra.
Old 03-22-09, 11:57 AM
x060x
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Sciethen
Generally speaking, the best way to remedy is the following: put on slippers or socks. Open the door to your house. Before leaving your house, slide your feet across the carpet (like a moonwalk) for two minutes, without touching ANYthing. Then go out of the door (that you already opened), to your car, and touch it. This should reverse the charge between you and your car for at least a week.
HAHA that's /=ucked up!

Originally Posted by LEX_MAN
It happends to me from time to time, man but when it happends i look like a crack head geting out of the car. Picture this , i get out and try to tap on the door with my finger like 10 times when i close it,but miss the first 9 times. It looks like i lost my mind,and i always chuckle when i think someone would see me doing that. I hate getting shocked.
That's funny. I used to do that same thing but with metal handled doors in the office or those doors at the freezer section of the supermarkets. I only did it 'bout 3-4 times though... 9-10 is fail lol!

== == ==

Been browsing around here for awhile now but I think this is my first post cuz I just had to chime in on this one. Lex' owner since June '08... other car is a Legend coupe.

BTW sup to everyone!
Old 03-22-09, 12:03 PM
x060x
Driver School Candidate

Forgot to say that what works best for me is grounding yourself to any metal object on the body of your car while you're still sitting, and throughout the entire time that it takes you to get OFF of your seat.

If you work in an office and have that same problem with metal handles either hit them with your knuckle (you'll barely feel anything) or tap them with a metal key before touching them. You don't want to look like a puss' in front of the office bunnies while doing this though so keep a single metal key in your pocket so you can palm it and have the tip of the key protruding from your fingers to make contact. Make a fist to hide your key discreetly in your palm... you'll look like a real man as you show that door who's boss!
Old 03-22-09, 06:54 PM
HeisLegend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dude, maybe you're like a super fackin hero.

Just ground yourself on something before you conjur up all the electricity in the world.
Old 03-22-09, 08:05 PM
hyjaxx
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bizzy928
Head to your local Pep Boys/Autozone and pick up an "anti shock ground kit". Or hang something from your exhaust to touch the ground... make sure its not wrapped securely on your car. If it catches on something when you drive, you'd want it to rip off easily.
Ohhh- some old school 70's grounding strap throwback advice there...try it though. I'd just say your old lady has some classical conditioning thing kicking- she probably hates sharing you with a hunk of metal. I couldn't stop laughing- this post is hands down the thread of the month...I thought the coors one was good but then WHAM-my door keeps shocking me came up!
Old 03-22-09, 08:11 PM
neodymium
Rookie

Originally Posted by 92blacktt

now i get it
My seats are leather and I get the crap shocked out of me everytime.