Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Airbag light is on.........

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-03, 05:55 PM
benvitcov
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Bag Light

I think someone is going to help me get this light to shut off!! However, I may be in the wrong thread because I have a 93LS400 and all of these posts seem to discuss SC400's. Perhaps someone could help me get to the correct location for specifics to my model. Thanks. Ben
Old 12-23-03, 07:20 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Air Bag Light

Originally posted by benvitcov
I think someone is going to help me get this light to shut off!! However, I may be in the wrong thread because I have a 93LS400 and all of these posts seem to discuss SC400's. Perhaps someone could help me get to the correct location for specifics to my model. Thanks. Ben
The 93 SC400 and LS400 engine are the same. The location of the ALDL are the same location also. Look/read the thread again and follow the instructions. If you don't do it corretly, it wouldn't work. I had to do it about 4 times before it work... I copy the procedure from my shop manual so if you don't understand it please by a shop manual for your car. It will help a lot. You do have to read the manual in order to fix the problem.
Old 12-24-03, 12:56 AM
bizzy928
Lexus Champion

Is there a specific reason (ie a mod) that causes this light to come on?

If my airbag light came on I would take it in immediately because I would want a functioning airbag in my vehicle.
Old 12-24-03, 11:03 AM
Ryan
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by bizzy928
Is there a specific reason (ie a mod) that causes this light to come on?

If my airbag light came on I would take it in immediately because I would want a functioning airbag in my vehicle.
One of the reasons (there may be more) is that if the SRS system detects that the airbag warning light did not go on in check mode (i.e. start up) it goes on (not sure how you would see this if the light was actually burnt out).

In my case, I had removed the instrument cluster to replace a burnt out bulb. I put the key in and turned it with the instrument cluster out (forget why I did this part) and in check it did not detect the light and triggered the error. My mechanic triggered it again recently when he was replacing an oxygen sensor.

If you are just driving along or start up your car one day and the light comes on, by all means, take it to the dealer. I would only suggest this for someone who knows why the error was triggered and wants to save a trip to the dealer. This is a safety issue, so if you don't know why, take it to a professional.
Old 03-24-04, 07:56 AM
oversteer
Driver School Candidate

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Just a question, on most vehicles if the airbag light is lit, it disables the airbag system. I assume this is true for Lexus as well, correct? I thought this should be brought up more clearly for those who are driving with their light on. As an FYI, my dealer here charged me $30 to reset the light on my LS400 that got tripped when we were doing some engine work.

My SC400 has another issue with an airbag light for another thread .........
Old 05-14-05, 11:19 AM
gqsc400
Driver School Candidate

Ok I'm having this problem now after driving around without my guages for a while. (from sending them to lextech) how do I know what kind of a code it is before I start trying to fix it? Where does it say code 22 or what not? Please explain it as if I'm 10 years old. Thanks.
Old 05-14-05, 02:47 PM
L. L. S.
Former Sponsor

It's all the same, just use either of these two reset instructions

http://lextech.org/forum/index.php?act=ST&f=2&t=67&
Old 05-31-08, 01:32 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default There's a first time for everyone. Mine was today...

Originally Posted by Ryan
Update: I had to do this once again recently. I found that 1 full sec touch of each wire was a little too long. When I touched them faster (i.e. about 1/2 a sec.) it worked the first time.
This is pretty much the key point, and making contact too slowly is why most are not successful the first time (or the 15th!).
You have to alternate about as fast as you can say "1,2,3,4".
Any longer and it won't work.
Like removing the center console or the top and bottom covers to the steering wheel shaft, this is one of those things that take a while the first time you do it, but afterwards goes much quicker.
Old 06-14-08, 10:01 AM
morbid
Rookie

Hey I have a quick question and didn't want to make my own thread. If your airbag light is on, will your airbag still deploy in an accident or is it disabled while the light is active? And pretend the airbag itself is in working condition.

Reason I ask is because mine came on after I removed the cluster to try to fix my burnt needles, but it wasn't on previously, so I'm guessing I had turned the key while the cluster was disconnected causing the light, because it wasn't previously on.
Old 07-14-08, 10:09 AM
Cuervo77
Driver School Candidate

Default I disconnect de airbag cpu

[I`m changing the engine from my sc 400, in the process i dicconnect de airbag cpu , does this can be any harmful? or i have to reset later to start the engine? also i can use a engine cpu from a 92 sc 400? you would help me a lot thank you....
Old 03-25-16, 12:46 PM
rcftx68
Driver School Candidate

Default Air bag light fix

Originally Posted by lex400sc
I just did this procedure to the T about six times and it doesn't work. The airbag did blink in a 50msec cycle continuously, but that doesn't make the light go away. It just stays on like normal. After the blinking, are you supposed to remove the ground wire from Tc? Start the engine with it connected? Pull all the wires out?

Did this procedure work for anyone?
YES!!! IT did work for me after many repeated tries...I found what finally made it happen was when I postiitoned the gear shift lever in neutral....after the repeated steps of TC....AB.....TC....AB ...then hold TC...I finally got it to go into its 50msec clear process..... In addition I grounded it to a bolt in the inner door frame which I filed to get the coating off to get a good ground. but what did it for me was shifting the gear shift to neutral with the key in the ON position. GLTA rcftx68
Old 03-27-16, 01:12 PM
Sc400NL
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

did it last week and it worked , i used the steel clamp under the door seal
the key is , do it less then a second
even when the shifter were in park

Old 04-12-18, 04:59 AM
mteele
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry to bump an older thread but I wanted to share my experience with this. I had trouble with the 0.5-1 second timing as well....over 20 tries and no success. I then tried what a few others here did and basically moved the wire back and forth as fast as I could and it worked on the first try using that timing!
Old 07-04-20, 01:06 PM
Dave2spd
10th Gear

It worked on my 93 SC300. it took about 20 times before it started flashing, 1 of the directions stated the light would stop flashing, mine just kept flashing but the light is off! The 1st time I tried this the gauges stopped working so I figured I would try again & wait until the light stopped flashing, waited an hour it never stopped flashing & now my A/C stopped working! The fuses all checked, any ideas?

Dave