SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

saw the SC430

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-01, 01:22 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking

I went to the Toronto Auto Show and saw the new SC430, all i have to say is... WOW, its really nice! The pictures make it look kinda ugly in my opinion. It has really big exhaust tips (probobly 97mm). It also has projecter HID lights. The car is really small! the rear seats are smaller than my Jag, and let me tell you, you DON'T want to sit in my Jag! That SC has to be fast! I also saw the salesperson raise and lower the top, it goes really, really fast! it was done i less than 10 seconds (okay i might be exagurating a bit). But overall it is really nice!
Old 02-26-01, 03:08 PM
hellasboy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have yet to see it in person, but they had some pretty good shots of it in the new car and driver (i think that magazine). and wow, those were some excellent photos... it's a gorgeous car. My next car may have to be a SC430 (in a few years, i don't exactly have 60k for a car... yet). i was annoyed at how the reviewer really made a big deal out of the trunk space. If i want a car with an adequate trunk then i'll go buy a GS430, not a convertible hardtop. Does anyone know how big the trunk of the SL500 is?
Old 02-26-01, 05:44 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
Thumbs up

I saw it here in Houston. A very pretty saleslady operated its power top. Very cool. I wasn't to fond of the fire engine red and I feel there is way too much space from the top of the tires to the wheelwell lip. Hope the car has the adjustable ride height suspension. All in all a very slick package but I still like the original SC.
Old 02-26-01, 06:18 PM
superlexus

Default sc430

Yeah i saw the SC430 too, it is looking SO much better then in road&track. all they talked about was the trunk space and rear seats. but anyways the lines are really sporty and smooth. only complaint was that it seemed to have a lot of gap in the wheel wells (already mentioned) and the front bumper whatever should have had a larger opening. but overall its BEAUTIFUL.
Old 02-27-01, 06:57 PM
Anthracite SC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I HAVE TO DISAGREE

I saw the SC430 up close and personal at the
San Jose and San Francisco International Auto shows
in November and January.

Both of them had the SC430 and they just looked
BAD.

The front of the car is nice, and I like the interior
of the car. Those are step up.

The side view of the rear of the car is HIDEOUS.
The convertible concept is really a great idea, but
even lexus' talented engineers can't break physics.

The car looks like a camel from the side. There is a hump
to the car when the top is down for the rear hood,
and it TOTALLY takes away from the look of the car.

The interior is TIGHT squeeze.
Put the new SC's front on the old SC's body w/some flared wheel wells and THEN you have an awesome car.

I'll happily keep my older SC and give it some sick mods

For those who DO choose to get the SC430....choose a darker color, lower the car and get some new wheels...

Anthracite SC
Old 02-28-01, 08:37 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Red face

My opinion of the new SC430 is mixed... I'm really into the interior layout, and of course the drop top.

Urrrrrrrrrrrr...

The Jury is still out on the exterior styling. What in the H#LL happened to the signature quad headlight treatment?(The SC's were influential in the reincarnation of the 4 headlights on cars...ex, our younger siblings GS's, LX's, Mercedes brought it back again E-class, Acura integra, ZX3, last celica...) It should've not changed... The BIG A$$ GRILL does not belong on a sports coupe, especially LEXUS SPORTS COUPE!!! Why did Lexus chose to NOT use the Calty design studio again? The rear end looks very similiar to everything else on the road. OH NO!!! how could I forget those wheels!!! Maybe Lexus will take the L-sport division seriously and develop some good looking upgrades both inside and out. Because the L-sport GS is not impressive at all in LOOKS or PERFORMANCE compared to an AMG E-55 or the BMW M-5. (A couple guys on this Forum have better looking cars that can really get down and dirty with the other 2 cars...) The SC430 drop top should knock the CLK and XK8 on their A$$, but Lexus fell short on this one...10 yrs, for this!!! If our SC's were convertibles... now that would be truly elegant, oh well. It was good dreaming...

LEXUS THIS TIME AROUND SPEND SOME $$$$ OUT OF THAT BIG BUDGET YOU HAVE AND ADVERTISE THE SC4 GEN.2 (BECAUSE YOU DROPPED THE BALL ON THE SC4 GEN.1 IN TERMS OF ADVERTISEMENT $$$) AS YOU DID THE ONCE DYING GS. REMEMBER IT'S A SPORT COUPE AND YOUR 1ST SPORTS CAR!!!! ADVERTISE IT AS ONE!!!

Don't get me wrong I think the SC430 is nice, JUST nice; however, it's not going to be the acclaimed TIMELESS CLASSIC, UNIQUELY SUPERB, PERFECT BLEND OF LUXURY AND PERFORMANCE, POETRY IN MOTION, VEHICULAR ART..... associated with the SC4 GEN.1..... I hope it can however, be still judged as a classic after its 10th year in existence as did the SC GEN.1.. maybe it'll grow on me, but the SC4 GEN.1 was love at first sight, the first time I saw one 10 years ago and I'm still in love with it. If it's O.K. I'll keep my SC4...

The Ikon
Old 02-28-01, 09:12 AM
gadgetSC
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs down Still Waiting

Still waiting for it to grow on me. I really dont think that it will. Like The Ikon says....It was love at first sight with the first SC. Much like the people on the long waiting lists for the SC430, I waited on a list for six months and 3 dealerships to get my 92. I cant say that the new car has come close to having the same impact as the old. The first SC made quite an impact and set many standards in the sport coupe catagory.
After almost 10yrs of ownership, I can say that I am almost as pleased with my car as the day I got it. I say almost because like most here, I crave more performance.
I have to say that I was very disappointed with the new look of the SC430......I'll keep my old flame.

gadgetSC
Old 03-05-01, 01:00 AM
biggie27
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Iknow this is kinda off the subject but when I first saw the gs400 I thought it was an ugly car and never even thought about buying one a year later I happen to go to the lexus dealership and I saw one there I was in aww it was just amazing the lines the shape the head lights anyway what I'm trying to say is that lexus is getting ahead of its time I garentee that a year from now alot of people who didnt like the sc430 will fall in love with it and dont say I didnt warn you :P
Old 03-20-01, 10:24 PM
soarergt

Default SC430 spotting

I was going to my dental checkup this afternoon and when I drove past the office infront of the building was a bright shiny new SC430. I parked in the back and walked to the front to get a better look at the SC430. My jaw almost dropped to the ground. Wow I must say it is a beautiful car! Very sleek and smooth looking. The particular one I saw was silver and it reminded me of something out of a sci fi movie. In my opinion silver is the best and perfect color for this car. I bet the owner was pretty pissed to see that the honda behind him paralel parked and was touching his rear bumper . As a owner of a SC300 I was really disappointed by the SC430's design from what I've seen from the press pictures. I thought the SC430 was ugly, it wasn't until I saw a one in person was I converted.
Old 03-20-01, 10:57 PM
VeilsideRSPsc
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMO i dont really like the new SC430 styling... i've loved the way the SC's look since they came out... i wasnt expecting something that radical i suppose... oh well... im sure they'll sell whether lexus cares about my opinion or not

-brian
team koncept racing
hyper racing
houston, tx

'92 veilside rsp sc300
'01 stock silver is300
Old 03-20-01, 11:19 PM
FastSC300

Default reply

your so biased man!

I have to agree, they look ok, but one angle I do not care for is the back angle, looks terrible from the rear. I think the wheels need to be redesigned as well as the little spoiler that does nothing for the look.

I saw one on Post Oak in h-town this saturday, he pulled up beside me, and I dont think he even recognized I had a Lexus too!! SO...I raced and smoked him j/k

SH
Old 03-21-01, 03:13 PM
alexulan
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs down Saw a gold one today in Downtown SF

Sorry folks I don't like it.
Looks like a celica convertable from the outside.
The inside looks like a mini LS430. Nice!
I was reserving judegement until I saw one upclose, and my instincs were right. It is a very small car!
A mustang looks like it would have more back seat space.