SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

!HELP Turn signals failing

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-08, 02:40 AM
92sc3forme
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default !HELP Turn signals failing

hey guys, i drive a 93 sc300 auto have a bit of a problem and hoping some of you expertscould help.
so heres the story. i was driving for a few hours tonights and before i went home i was with one of my best friends and one of my girls.
my buddy commented nice spot for figure eights at a certain intersection so of course carelessly i proceeded to do donuts in the area. I know i probably caused the problem by doing this but now i need help.

about a half hour later i down near the pedals seem to be really hot, pretty much all around the wiring thats down there and now my turn signals do not work at all. When i say dont work i mean the arrow doesnt even flash on my dash when i signal.

Anyone have any ideaS?? or is it off to the lexus dealership i go?
Old 10-06-08, 05:19 AM
bigmalik00
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you had anything done to the car recently? stereo install?
Old 10-06-08, 06:33 AM
SHOLEXMAN
Lexus Test Driver

Ha don't go to the dealership yet man. First off check your fuses that would supply power to the gauge cluster to make sure they haven't popped. That or you can see if your turn signal relay is faulty. If you have a spare one around that has the same terminals pop it in and see if it works. If there was heat by the pedals make sure that none of your wires melted or became exposed. There could be a short to ground or power in the wiring harness. Check that out first and see what you find.
Old 10-06-08, 07:09 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

Gauge cluster fuses have nothing to do with the turn signals in any way. You have a turn fuse and a relay flasher unit. With all the wiring that hot you might have something laying over shorting the system.

Inspect the flasher unit and wiring surrounding then check the trunk to see if anything back there rolled over and is laying on the wires in the trunk.
Old 10-06-08, 12:15 PM
92sc3forme
Rookie

A little more info as to the areas i should be inspecting?

any other opinions on this subject are greatly appreciated

THANKS IN ADVANCE
Old 10-06-08, 08:09 PM
SHOLEXMAN
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
Gauge cluster fuses have nothing to do with the turn signals in any way. You have a turn fuse and a relay flasher unit.
I know what I was saying I just typed it out wrong. I know the fused circuit is for the turn signal. Not for the whole gauge cluster.

92sc3forme check the turn signal relay! Check the wiring underneath the drivers side pedal area and look for burned wires. That or move them around with the turn signal on and see if it turns on when moving it. See if you get lucky. Check the turn fuse to see if it is bad or if you have power going threw the circuit.
Old 10-06-08, 10:55 PM
SoCaLSC400
Intermediate

Is your car lowered? Hopefully you didn't chew up your main harness in your driver side fender well
Old 10-06-08, 11:28 PM
andrewwake
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCaLSC400
Is your car lowered? Hopefully you didn't chew up your main harness in your driver side fender well
+1, that was my first thought
Old 10-07-08, 12:33 AM
khutch
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Did ya check the blinker fluid? J/P

I second SHOLEXMAN. Pull back the paneling and check the wires. When there is heat something must be burnt. Its difficult to say. Im not sure if the signals can work without the dash arrows blinking or if the current goes through one or the other first. Since when a front or rear light out will cause the lights to blink faster I would assume that the power goes to signal first and then dash light. Look for a wiring diagram. Not too many wires make up this circuit.

Originally Posted by SHOLEXMAN
Ha don't go to the dealership yet man. First off check your fuses that would supply power to the gauge cluster to make sure they haven't popped. That or you can see if your turn signal relay is faulty. If you have a spare one around that has the same terminals pop it in and see if it works. If there was heat by the pedals make sure that none of your wires melted or became exposed. There could be a short to ground or power in the wiring harness. Check that out first and see what you find.