SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

The HELL with MODS, Is your SC running right?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-02, 07:38 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually, I feel our cars have great brakes, they're pretty large for a luxury car, wouldn't you say? Yeah, the Supra TT brakes make a huge difference, but it's not as if the car has poor braking to begin with. I don't know how you're warping these rotors, but i've never had a problem with that, even after rapid braking from over twice the speed limit on many occasions. I had a Grand Cherokee set up for some performance and handling, crazy as it sounds, but that thing used to warp rotors every couple of months, it was disgusting. lex400sc, that intake snorkel is very restrictive, you're better off just removing it, it's like trying to suck large quantities of air through a straw. Some 4" dryer tubing would be an improvement, but you'd be best off turning the entire space in front of the radiator into a cold air chamber, see Peter Scott's Soarer Stuff website for instructions. Ikon, you say you had some hesitation before the intake pipe? Please elaborate bro, thx. I did more road-testing yesterday, the bog seems to be going away as the computer learns, got in ANOTHER high speed cat and mouse game, this time with a silver IS. We played for quite awhile, can't believe we didn't get pinched.
Attached Thumbnails The HELL with MODS, Is your SC running right?!?!-compressed-jgc.jpg  
Old 01-27-02, 12:31 PM
SCV8
Instructor

My fascination with modding my SC is fueled by the availability of stock,Toyota parts from the Supra model,that is one heck of a car,performance wise,and I like the more relaxed concept behind the Lexus package anyways,so together it's a no brainer for me.
The $4K spent a a local dealer on things like new power steering,tranny seals,motor/tranny mounts,timing belt,plugs/wires was in fact done before any of the performance upgrades,so I do value reliability as a fundamental virtue of peformance;you can't have performance without it.
I'm waiting for the stock brakes to need servicing so I can find some TT parts to bolt on there;the stock brakes felt ok until I added the rest of the parts and realized why Toyota offered the larger brake package as OE on the TT cars.
Old 01-27-02, 12:45 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

SCV8, that's perfect; 'value reliability as a fundamental virtue of performance.' I too am waiting until the brakes need servicing, at which point i'll upgrade to the MkIV TT units. So, specifically, what parts/labour did you get for $4000 at the local Lexus dealer?
Old 01-27-02, 06:33 PM
rboorgu
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The braking hardware is not really that bad. It is by no means racing hardware, but adequate for street use. Warped rotors are usaully caused by either the rotors overheating or improperly torqued wheel lugs. If you have your wheels put on at a tire shop, many of them just use an impact wrench and that could cause the rotor warping. Get a torque wrench and install them yourself. Also upgrading the pads helps a lot. I put TRD pads on the rear of my car. I would have done the same for the front, but they are not available. I went with another brand of metallic pad which is working well.

Raj

92 SC400
00 A6 2.7T
93 RX7TT R1
Old 01-27-02, 11:07 PM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by rboorgu
The braking hardware is not really that bad. It is by no means racing hardware, but adequate for street use. Warped rotors are usaully caused by either the rotors overheating or improperly torqued wheel lugs. If you have your wheels put on at a tire shop, many of them just use an impact wrench and that could cause the rotor warping. Get a torque wrench and install them yourself. Also upgrading the pads helps a lot. I put TRD pads on the rear of my car. I would have done the same for the front, but they are not available. I went with another brand of metallic pad which is working well.

Raj

92 SC400
00 A6 2.7T
93 RX7TT R1
Boy, another RX7 owner. What's up with this board. LOL! Anyways, I warped them by breaking really hard from 100. They break fine from lower speeds, but I think they weren't designed for a car that's 3600 lbs. If you haven't try Supra TT's breaks then you shouldn't say much. You will see the difference pretty fast.
Old 01-28-02, 12:27 PM
007lexus
Driver

Originally posted by SCV8
My fascination with modding my SC is fueled by the availability of stock,Toyota parts from the Supra model,that is one heck of a car,performance wise,and I like the more relaxed concept behind the Lexus package anyways,so together it's a no brainer for me.
The $4K spent a a local dealer on things like new power steering,tranny seals,motor/tranny mounts,timing belt,plugs/wires was in fact done before any of the performance upgrades,so I do value reliability as a fundamental virtue of peformance;you can't have performance without it.
I'm waiting for the stock brakes to need servicing so I can find some TT parts to bolt on there;the stock brakes felt ok until I added the rest of the parts and realized why Toyota offered the larger brake package as OE on the TT cars.
hey SCV8,
Will changing stock sc400 front rotors with supra TT front rotors be a noticable change in braking at high speeds? Is the surface area on TT rotors more? Whats a good place online to get TT rotors and what brand of pads would you or anyone else suggest? and estimated price?

thanks,
Old 01-28-02, 12:40 PM
DIrEctQL

Originally posted by 007lexus

hey SCV8,
Will changing stock sc400 front rotors with supra TT front rotors be a noticable change in braking at high speeds? Is the surface area on TT rotors more? Whats a good place online to get TT rotors and what brand of pads would you or anyone else suggest? and estimated price?

thanks,
Why do just front? Do all of them! Supra TT breaks are much bigger and infact Bremo rotors will fit the Supta TT breaks. When we're talking Supra TT breaks that means the whole thing. The caliper, rotors, and breakpads. They're all bigger than your stock breaks. Get stock Toyota pads, they should do just fine. Now, Carson's Toyota in TX offers these breaks for all the wheels for 800 bucks. Am I correct?

Last edited by DIrEctQL; 01-28-02 at 12:46 PM.
Old 01-28-02, 03:48 PM
DIrEctQL

Originally posted by DIrEctQL
Why do just front? Do all of them! Supra TT breaks are much bigger and infact Bremo rotors will fit the Supta TT breaks. When we're talking Supra TT breaks that means the whole thing. The caliper, rotors, and breakpads. They're all bigger than your stock breaks. Get stock Toyota pads, they should do just fine. Now, Carson's Toyota in TX offers these breaks for all the wheels for 800 bucks. Am I correct?
Forgot to mention, when getting Supra TT breaks make sure you have large enough rims. I belive not all 17" fit so the logical size of rims would be 18".
Old 01-29-02, 02:56 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

What about stainless steel brake lines? I hear that just installing these make a noticable difference in the brake feel as well. Plus SS brake lines can be bought at about $135 or so... Supra TT brake line is a direct fit...
Old 01-29-02, 03:03 PM
DIrEctQL

Originally posted by The Ikon
What about stainless steel brake lines? I hear that just installing these make a noticable difference in the brake feel as well. Plus SS brake lines can be bought at about $135 or so... Supra TT brake line is a direct fit...
Correct, SS break lines are available from TRD or Goodrich. Both are the same exact thing but TRD is more expencive.
Old 01-29-02, 04:35 PM
SCV8
Instructor

Big brakes will do amazing things for a car that has an upgraded suspension/wheels/tires,there's a good way to describe it that I read on the forum "slowing down from 120 is now like it used to be from 60" or something like that.
There's a feeling of confidence that only big brake hardware will provide, I've recently put some 11" rotors/4piston calipers onto my old Fiero that's got about twice the power of the original V6 now and the car is now a blast to drive,where before,well it could get scary smoking out the brakes while the steering wheel shudders violently.Now it just slows down rapidly and smoothly.
I'll probably look to find a used set and clean them up for my car,since I like working on stuff,maybe get new rotors/pads however.
Old 01-29-02, 11:45 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

SCV8 I bet that Feiro stops on a dime!!!

***SS brake lines from "Goodrich" are how much Chris?

Originally posted by VQT
Ikon or anyone,

Ever change the windshield yet? How much does it cost? I don't think we can get aftermarket Lexus parts at all
I wonder how much the newer SC400 windshield water replellent cost

I totally missed this!:eek: I musta been brain dead that day... VQT I still have the original windshield(believe it or not ) I have two small chips that have been "fixed". I'm going to get it replaced by my insurance this spring. My insurance company uses a certain company in town to replace for them, unless you demand another place... The place they use is the best in the city from what I heard(they did a good job on my 300ZX when it had a bad crack)...

Joel did you make your BFI intake like UZZ32?

Last edited by The Ikon; 01-29-02 at 11:50 PM.
Old 01-30-02, 11:47 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

DirectQL, I got the cupholder in that I got from you! It was a peice of cake it took about 20 to 30 minutes... Once I go the center console out I cleaned the edges and under the console it really good...

Now on to the steering wheel I got from Banking... Banking, I'll be seeing you on Monday...
Old 01-30-02, 03:13 PM
Anthracite SC
Lexus Test Driver

Default Answers to the list

HEre's the answers to your questions. Let's see if my 140K mileage modded SC400 qualifies.

*Can you get into your car and drive across the nation, state, region without fear of it not making it? YES NO PROBLEM.
I DRIVE INTERSTATE ALL THE TIME W/O THE CAR BREATHING HARD

*got those struts changed!?
WHY DO YOU NEED THE STRUTS CHANGED? THEY ARE FINE.

*Stop your SC from missing or loping!?
NO MISSING OR LOPING

*Is your car smoking or knocking?
NO SMOKING OR KNOCKING

*Got those worn out ugly seats fixed!?
GOT CUSTOM CONNELLY LEATHER TWO TONE REPLACEMENTS. MORE THAN ADEQUATE

*Got that busted speaker changed!?
GOT CUSTOM ECLIPSE LCD SYTEM W/MBQUART REPLACEMENTS

*got some new tires yet?..
GOT YOKOHAMA AVS SPORT TIRES

*get your tranny and diff. serviced lately?
EVERY 20K MILES

*Is your power steering pump still leaking?
REPLACED W/BRAND NEW ONE

*When was the last time you changed your plugs, wires, caps, or even your OIL?
1000 MILES AGO

*Are you mats torn, worn and need of replacement?
NEW CUSTOM "LEXUS MOTORSPORT" BLACK/PLATINUM REPLACEMENTS

*does your dashlights work?
REPLACED ALL LIGHTS W/SUPERWHITE BULBS IN DASH

*Does you interior look as good as new again? need a shampooing?
THE INTERIOR IS NEW BECAUSE THEY ARE ALL NEW REPLACEMENTS

*Is your wind shield cracked?
WINDSHIELD IS BRAND NEW AND REPLACED

*Is your steering wheel a mess?
STEERING WHEEL HAS A NEW CUSTOM BLACK LEATHER WRAP AROUND IT

*When was the last time you changed your brakes?
I HAVE CUSTOM CROSS DRILLED OEM SIZE ROTORS AND METAL MASTER PADS. QUALIFY?

*New pads huh... what about the brake fluid flushed?
REDLINE RACING BRAKE FLUID PLUS STAINLESS STEEL LINES. QUALIFY?

*Radiator services, thermostat changed?
REGULAR SERVICES

*Did you get the AC fixed from last summer? It will be hot again in a few months!
AC WAS RECHARGED TO GO ANOTHER 100K MILES

*Does your heat work? It better it's cold outside!
THE HEAT WORKS GREAT AND SO DO THE HEATED SEATS

*Are the rotors warped or need of turning/shaving?
AGAIN..ROTORS ARE BRAND NEW

*Is your paint CRAPPY? Need a buffing?
THE CAR WAS REPAINTED W/A NEW COAT

SO IN RESPONSE...DO I MEET THE QUALIFICATION TO TALK ABOUT MODS? SINCE THE BASICS WERE TAKEN CARE OF?
Old 01-30-02, 07:31 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Default Re: Answers to the list

Originally posted by Anthracite SC
HEre's the answers to your questions. Let's see if my 140K mileage modded SC400 qualifies.

*Can you get into your car and drive across the nation, state, region without fear of it not making it? YES NO PROBLEM.
I DRIVE INTERSTATE ALL THE TIME W/O THE CAR BREATHING HARD

*got those struts changed!?
WHY DO YOU NEED THE STRUTS CHANGED? THEY ARE FINE.

*Stop your SC from missing or loping!?
NO MISSING OR LOPING

*Is your car smoking or knocking?
NO SMOKING OR KNOCKING

*Got those worn out ugly seats fixed!?
GOT CUSTOM CONNELLY LEATHER TWO TONE REPLACEMENTS. MORE THAN ADEQUATE

*Got that busted speaker changed!?
GOT CUSTOM ECLIPSE LCD SYTEM W/MBQUART REPLACEMENTS

*got some new tires yet?..
GOT YOKOHAMA AVS SPORT TIRES

*get your tranny and diff. serviced lately?
EVERY 20K MILES

*Is your power steering pump still leaking?
REPLACED W/BRAND NEW ONE

*When was the last time you changed your plugs, wires, caps, or even your OIL?
1000 MILES AGO

*Are you mats torn, worn and need of replacement?
NEW CUSTOM "LEXUS MOTORSPORT" BLACK/PLATINUM REPLACEMENTS

*does your dashlights work?
REPLACED ALL LIGHTS W/SUPERWHITE BULBS IN DASH

*Does you interior look as good as new again? need a shampooing?
THE INTERIOR IS NEW BECAUSE THEY ARE ALL NEW REPLACEMENTS

*Is your wind shield cracked?
WINDSHIELD IS BRAND NEW AND REPLACED

*Is your steering wheel a mess?
STEERING WHEEL HAS A NEW CUSTOM BLACK LEATHER WRAP AROUND IT

*When was the last time you changed your brakes?
I HAVE CUSTOM CROSS DRILLED OEM SIZE ROTORS AND METAL MASTER PADS. QUALIFY?

*New pads huh... what about the brake fluid flushed?
REDLINE RACING BRAKE FLUID PLUS STAINLESS STEEL LINES. QUALIFY?

*Radiator services, thermostat changed?
REGULAR SERVICES

*Did you get the AC fixed from last summer? It will be hot again in a few months!
AC WAS RECHARGED TO GO ANOTHER 100K MILES

*Does your heat work? It better it's cold outside!
THE HEAT WORKS GREAT AND SO DO THE HEATED SEATS

*Are the rotors warped or need of turning/shaving?
AGAIN..ROTORS ARE BRAND NEW

*Is your paint CRAPPY? Need a buffing?
THE CAR WAS REPAINTED W/A NEW COAT

SO IN RESPONSE...DO I MEET THE QUALIFICATION TO TALK ABOUT MODS? SINCE THE BASICS WERE TAKEN CARE OF?
HELL YEAH!!! You make owming a SC a privilage!!! You make me proud!!!

Last edited by The Ikon; 01-31-02 at 08:21 AM.

Quick Reply: The HELL with MODS, Is your SC running right?!?!