SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Off-center steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-07, 09:20 AM
jpvarghese
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Off-center steering wheel

Anyone else have this? I noticed that in order for my car to point straight, the steering wheel has to be turned slightly to the right. It is irritating. What causes this and what can be done to remedy it?

Last edited by jpvarghese; 11-13-07 at 09:30 AM.
Old 11-13-07, 09:22 AM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get an alignment or remove the airbag to adjust the steering wheel
Old 11-13-07, 09:27 AM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yea could be you just need an alignment. I have a similar issue where my steering wheel has to be a tad to the left to drive straight. I got an alignment done and it didn't fix it. I am looking into the tie rods, but haven't had a chance to jack the car up to test them yet.

Is you car lowered? Any camber wear on your tires?
Old 11-13-07, 09:29 AM
habitat
Lead Lap

Could simply be uneven wear on your tires.
Old 11-13-07, 09:30 AM
jpvarghese
Lexus Test Driver

Actually good thing you mention that because I do have some camber wear on my tires, a little bit of negative camber, but my struts/suspension is stock.
Old 11-13-07, 09:38 AM
Fireblaze
Lead Lap

The key is to trouble-shoot. You should change your tires if tread is lower getting low, or if your tires are old. Get an alignment which should fix the problem. A lot of people are saying that even after their alignment, their wheels keeps resetting and moving off center.

That is when you know you should change your power steering bushings. I'm pretty sure TMengineering sells them. I would change my tires and PS bushings and then do an alignment.
Old 11-13-07, 09:58 AM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

By power steering bushings do you mean steering rack bushings? If so, I have the daizens installed already.
Old 11-13-07, 05:03 PM
Fireblaze
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sc300max
By power steering bushings do you mean steering rack bushings? If so, I have the daizens installed already.
Hmm, that would be my first thing to change on a high mileage car. But since you already changed them, I would check the inner tie rods (like you said). I'm sure you know about the test when you raise the car, and try to move the tire from side to side. If there is play, then you should change them.
Old 11-13-07, 05:37 PM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

I have about 120k on my car so not sure what the average life of tie rods are. So both inner and outer tie rods should be replaced at the same time?Yea I'm going to have to try that test when I get a chance to jack the car up.
Old 11-13-07, 06:40 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

i have brand new tires all around, daizen steering rack bushings, and mine does the same thing, slightly to the right to go straight. i am gonna try an alignment, but the car goes way to straight for that to fix it. old cars tend to settle in to the side i hear, i am gonna take the steering wheel off and make it straight post alignment
Old 11-14-07, 07:42 PM
tttp5
Pole Position

there is a lot of frustration with this steering wheel not being in the center issue.

my experience:
I've got new steering rack bushings, doens't help.
new outer tie rods because the old one was slightly popped and the grease was oozing, doesn't help.
took it to two different lexus dealers to get it 4 wheel aligned $99bucks each time, doesn't work.

what i ended up doing:
find a frame and alignment shop, take your car in there, have them check your rear track. rear track is important in a RWD car, if its off it will push the car off center. have them diagnose your problem, the place i went to diagnosed it for free. they said to me it was my front tires that were pulling cause they flipped the front tires around and it pulled the other way. they said new tires would correct the problem.
I ended up getting an alignment done there and they helped me counter the tires problem by compensating thru alignment so that it drives straight. they said when i get new front tires it will start to pull again.
Old 11-15-07, 10:31 AM
KAME
Driver

I've had the same problem, and I've replaced the steering rack bushings, tires, wheels, and had my car aligned and corner balanced. I also had the tie rods checked during the alignment and he said everything was in good shape. My car drives perfectly straight, and handles wonderfully, but the steering wheel is slightly to the right to drive straight. I think I'll correct this when I change out the steering wheel. I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one.
Old 11-15-07, 10:45 AM
Danimal
Lead Lap

I know mine showed up right after I put in the daizen steering rack bushings, it's off just a tad... maybe 5° or so. My old bushings weren't that bad, I tore them up a lot getting them out, but they weren't horrible to begin with.
Old 11-15-07, 12:44 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

lol.. mine is 5° to the right too, seems like this for most people.
does anyones go further or to the left?

**oh yeah im pretty sure the problem is directly related to how your steering rack settles over time. our cars have such high powered PS, makes this more common.
i used to be able to turn my wheel a whole 10° left and right without my wheels moving when i purchased my car originally, the rack would just push side to side before it moved the wheels. talk about loose steering. immediately changed bushings after i bought it and it is solid now, but with the 5° problem

Last edited by Ali SC3; 11-15-07 at 12:49 PM.
Old 11-15-07, 02:01 PM
KAME
Driver

This is good to know. I was driving myself crazy wondering why this was happening.

Quick Reply: Off-center steering wheel