SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

ABS and Airbag lights

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-07, 03:09 PM
Luke_in_SD
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ABS and Airbag lights

I was looking at couple SC400s yesterday and some had some lights on the dash.

One had an air bag on and the other had an ABS light on.

The one with the Air Bag light has never been in an accident, the owner said it just came on one day.

The othe car had an ABS light, dunno why either, it did had drilled/slotted rotors though.
Old 07-04-07, 03:32 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

Either could be sensors, and most likely are if they come on without any foreseeable reason.

Only way to know is to reset the light and see if it comes back on.
Old 07-04-07, 03:36 PM
Parker Gen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Air-Bag light that just "comes on" if it hasn't been tampered with could mean that the connection to the nitrogen gas that inflates it is a bit faulty or the sensors are wired up weird, or it could have deflated already... many possibilities.

With the ABS light, that could be a fuse that has gone wrong, or there "could" be problems with the ABS system. If the car has drilled or slotted rotors, that still doesn't excuse the fact that the light is on. And therefore should be checked out if your looking at purchasing one of these SC's. The Anti-Skid Braking System sends pulses through the brake automatically when under heavy "locked" braking conditions. Maybe it does have problems at those stages.

Or as I stated, someone could have tampered with the cluster, or left the key in the on position while the battery was still connected and had the cluster out of it's connection. All these things can set off these warning lights in the cluster.
Old 07-04-07, 11:19 PM
Luke_in_SD
Lead Lap

how do u reset the light? Unplug plug the battery for a couple of hours? Like reseting the ECU?
Old 07-05-07, 05:02 AM
Parker Gen
Lexus Test Driver

I don't think un-plugging the battery for a couple of hours will do anything to be honest. Usually in these circumstances you have to send currents through detected wires that are running through the car system etc. It's not so easy, and you'll need a mechanic manual to reset it yourself.

But someone else may have a better easier way that they have done to fix these issues before... do you know if the problem is actually occouring though? Maybe the ABS and SRS really arn't working to the appropriate standards?
Old 07-05-07, 06:45 PM
Luke_in_SD
Lead Lap

I elimating looking at the car with the ABS light cause of other issues. But I really want the other car that has the Air Bag light. So would have to have a Lexus tech of some sort check out the light?
Old 07-05-07, 07:17 PM
Parker Gen
Lexus Test Driver

Well, my car is running with the SRS light on, but I know there's no problems there, because the Ignition Key was turned to on when the cluster was out of place. But if you don't know for sure why the SRS light is on, than I'd say yes get it checked out. It shouldn't come on without a problem being there, unless someone has tampered with the car somewhere. Usually, when the SRS light comes on it's recommended to take your car to you nearest lexus dealer as soon as possible and they check it out (while you pay the big $$$).

The thing is you don't want to be doing (60mp/h) 100km/h and all of a sudden have the airbages in-flate in your face... very dangerous, but I guess I shouldn't be telling people whats dangerous myslef...
Old 07-05-07, 10:51 PM
Luke_in_SD
Lead Lap

hey makes sence. I'm gonna call a friend of a friend tomorrow who is a service tech at a local lexus dealership
Old 07-06-07, 08:31 AM
Mooney6959
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can the airbag light be reset w\ a diagnostics computer, or do you have to do the wire / switch method listed below?
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ghlight=airbag
Old 08-16-07, 04:04 PM
cacrawfo
Rookie

BTW, there is not a "nitrogen gas" container that inflates the air bags as someone implied.... Each bag has a small pyrotechnic device (aka, a bomb that is ignited and generates the gas that inflates the bag. The 2 wires that go into the airbag are called a "squib" and when current is applied to them they get very hot and ignite the gas generator. The airbag computer is constantly monitoring the continuity accross the squibs and if one is disconnected or shorted, or broken, it turns on the airbag light. That is why people have problems with the light if they for instance replace the steering wheel with an aftermarket wheel... (without tricking the airbag computer with a resistor etc.)
So to make a long story short, it is possible that someone in the past had removed the steering wheel to do some type of service, and turned on power to the car without having the bag hooked up. That will turn the airbag light on, and it has to be hard-reset to turn it off. The seatbelts also have small airbag actuators in them that tension the belts when the airbags go off...
Carl C
Old 08-16-07, 04:29 PM
2JZ_SC
Lead Lap

A bad seatbelt assy and or seat belt receiver can cause a “air bag” light. Other times it is the spiral cable behind the steering wheel. Just some of the usual suspects.