SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Anything mods that can get me 75-100hp ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-01, 06:14 PM
MadMaxSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bean, SC300T's last post is a good example of what I'm talking about.
Ignoring him, I'll say to you that what you're saying there is kind of the point.. The exhaust and ECU for my car net now 235 rwhp. The finished product of my car N/A will be 300+ rwhp. Once that's done (depending on my personal ability to support it financially cuz this is where it gets tricky and expensive) in goes a beefed up powertrain, 6 speed and an intercooled supercharger system which will be built using servos, a magnetic clutch and butterfly valves so that it can be turned on and off. Why? Well, seeing as I have nothing better to do..
Old 12-29-01, 08:26 AM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wasn't intending to flame here at all.... Its just that V-8 upgrades aren't very cost effective yet.... How much is this 300rwhp going to cost? I'd love to see some serious gains on the V-8--- its got an awesome sound that the I-6 will never have. That aside, You're helping me prove my point. You've got intake, ECU, exhaust, high flow cats and some other goodies and you're at 235rwhp. That's pretty good, but where do you go from there? Everything would have to be custom, which = expensive. Still, once one person does it, perhaps a company will join in and get some production going to reduce the price... You also must realize that a supercharger will yield less overall power than a turbo even if the two are rated equally. Its the "power under the curve" that makes the turbo faster than its ratings. This thread started with an SC300, and of course the turbo guys chimed in and said turbo... How else do you get 75-100hp? Well, all the n/a upgrades might amount to 75-100hp if you do everything imaginable and spend $4k. OR you could go turbo for a little more and get an extra 200+rwhp.
Old 12-29-01, 09:24 AM
Rob_O
Rookie

Damm guys, what's with all the tension. Everyone have a bad day at the office?

Rob_O
Old 12-29-01, 02:37 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nope its the V8 vs I6 rivalry.

It will always be there.

SC300T I was talking about a very large unit. I also believe that turbos are more efficient and will produce much more hp than a same-rated supercharger. BUT I also know about a lot of stuff that go on 99+ Mustang GTs that do some crazy ****.

there's a tuner local that I know who is REALLY good at what he does. His name is Chris Johnson; big into Fords. Mainly Lightnings, Cobras, and GTs. He develops a lot of ECU-tuned upgrades for the various cars.

Have you ever heard of a Novi2000 blower? Ever seen one? I'm not sure if it was that particular blower on this customer car that I've seen. But Mustang GTs make around 220-230rwhp stock. With all the easy boltons they will touch around 250-260rwhp; but then there's the blower. I saw a bolton blower kit with a tuned ECU run mid 11s on pump gas in a Mustang GT; it was a convertible too.

That being said; in the Lexus world; there are no good tuners for the V8 cars when applying forced induction to them. I think with proper tuning and a big blower, the 400 motor would be a contender in the 400rwhp class. Oh and another thing, centrifugal blowers don't just make power at peak; they have quite a fat powerband themselves; they take longer to make peak power than other types, but it still spools faster than a turbo of the size you're talking about. I'm pretty sure they'd have as much or almost as much power under the curve as a same rwhp I6.

That being said I still would rather have a turbo I6 motor since you can go very very far with them. Oh and they are killer on a roll, and off the line if you can somehow manage to grip.
Old 12-30-01, 02:55 AM
MadMaxSC400
Lexus Test Driver

No **** man, I can't even imagine the kind of grip issues I'll have when this thing's "done"... At that point I'll probably have given up, bought a small floor jack that fits in the trunk and a set of rims with big ol Mickey T slicks on them
Old 12-30-01, 11:43 AM
SC300TURBO
Lexus Test Driver

mad max..i wanna know how your gonna do a blower on your car <and forget cost> and keep it CARB legal......and then a 6speed....i wanna see this too...and 300 rwhp N/A no nitrous....i will be totaly impressed......i will fly out to san fran to spend the day at fishermans warf and check out your ride Jeff
Old 12-30-01, 04:27 PM
Helix
Driver School Candidate

On the topic of pioneering....

Wise men buy what fools build.

Why pioneer?
Old 12-30-01, 08:44 PM
MadMaxSC400
Lexus Test Driver

It won't be technically CARB legal, but it will pass emissions anyway. The setup won't take much more effort than a normal supercharger system since there's only 2 more steps involved. Getting the car to 300 whp n/a might be enough to suit me. Depends entirely on money. If I cam it, port and polish it, do headers, MAF, and re-tune the ECU on the dyno 300 on the tires might be a low figure. I'm also seriously considering moving out of California, but that won't change anything except I'll lose the cats at the border
Old 12-30-01, 10:25 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Hmmm, a 1UZ with custom-ground cams, ported and flowed heads, adj cam gears, hand-ported plenum, titanium valvetrain, pressure-type MAF conversion, monoblade t-body, positive pressure cold air intake, some windage control, a nice ECU program, 1 5/8" HPC-coated 4-2-1 headers, 2.5" dual exhaust with x-pipe and straight-thru cans, 9.5" converter, and Level 10 valve body.... i'm confident one could pass 300whp with this setup, and as long as the headwork was performed with an eye on maintaining velocity in the port, a very nice, rev-happy, butter-smooth, Ferrari-ish street motor. My tools are calling to me.
Old 12-30-01, 11:15 PM
MadMaxSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Haha that sounds more like 400 whp to me
We got 60 whp out of exhaust, intake and ECU on my car, with an outlay (on my part) of $1700. The next 20-25 whp is supposed to come at a cost to me of about $800. Headers would be next, I don't know what they're really worth on a small Japanese motor. Guessing those will pull out 15 more hp, we'll be at 275.. then add in some cams that aren't too wild and I'll have made it. Leo wants to look into re-engineering the intake runners, porting the head and doing a valve job. That's about another $2500. Seriously, I think we're just kind of following the light here and making something that does what the "Lexus Hot Rod" motor did, to a point. That's what I REALLY wanted all along, but I'm not expecting 400 hp.. I just want to be able to smack down GM's and galloping horses. However, Lex Luthor does have the right idea
Old 12-31-01, 06:48 AM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

It would be cool to find a way to raise the rev limiter too... Many ponies can be found up top if you let the engine breathe... Custom valve job, porting, cams, cam gears... Probably 40hp right there if you can spin it fast enough. A larger throttlebody and Double valve springs would probably be needed, too.

Max, have you run a GS400 lately? with 235 at the wheels it would be close. The GS would still have a gearing advantage with the 5spd auto, though.
Old 12-31-01, 12:43 PM
MadMaxSC400
Lexus Test Driver

I haven't raced any GS's so far. The chip tightened up the shift points and lets the motor turn a little faster, so the car stays in the strong part of the powerband once I'm out of first gear. Also, it gets rid of the horrible shift lag when I manually change gears, so I can extract a little more on the racetrack. I'm going tomorrow to Sacramento Raceway, weather permitting, so I could get a 1/4 mile time.
I have raced an E46 M3 on the street in San Francisco, and he couldn't keep up. I'd enjoy racing a 2002 M3, although I think I'd lose... I'd have to drive one of those things to believe the HP numbers though.
Old 12-31-01, 01:27 PM
matt7184
Pole Position

Originally posted by MadMaxSC400
I haven't raced any GS's so far. The chip tightened up the shift points and lets the motor turn a little faster, so the car stays in the strong part of the powerband once I'm out of first gear. Also, it gets rid of the horrible shift lag when I manually change gears, so I can extract a little more on the racetrack. I'm going tomorrow to Sacramento Raceway, weather permitting, so I could get a 1/4 mile time.
I have raced an E46 M3 on the street in San Francisco, and he couldn't keep up. I'd enjoy racing a 2002 M3, although I think I'd lose... I'd have to drive one of those things to believe the HP numbers though.
Do you mean you have raced a E36 M3? The new ones are E46s. And yes, you would probably still loose with what you have (Maybe it will change if you get a TC)
Old 12-31-01, 02:17 PM
MadMaxSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Those damn ***** and their numbering systems.. I like the Japanese names like Soarer, Sylvia, Supra, Skyline, etc. Hmm, notice that the good japanese car's names start with S?
Old 12-31-01, 02:53 PM
matt7184
Pole Position

Originally posted by MadMaxSC400
Those damn ***** and their numbering systems.. I like the Japanese names like Soarer, Sylvia, Supra, Skyline, etc. Hmm, notice that the good japanese car's names start with S?
lol, what about swift from suzuki, just a damn metro
Most companies have numbering systems (including Toyota).

Quick Reply: Anything mods that can get me 75-100hp ?