SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Problem with Telescopic Steering-Won't go in and out

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-11, 06:41 AM
ScJz
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After mine started not going down I fixed it and just turned auto tilt off and called it a day
Old 04-29-12, 10:47 AM
salimshah

Received 993 Likes on 898 Posts

FWIW:

Here is my weekend effort to revive the telescoping motor [not the tilt motor].

1. I removed the driver side bottom-panel, mid-panel and the panel below the cluster. [I had planned to do the aux-in set up cleanup so, the middle console had to be opened up.]. I am not sure if removing the panels is essential, but it did help reaching in. Top and bottom shell of the steering column needs to come off. [2 screws from below and one hidden behind the steering ... turn the wheel to expose it]
2. Disconnect the wire to the motor.
3. Undo the 2 bolts holding the motor and remember to spin out the motor. [worm gear is engaged].
4. Bench test the motor with 12v ,,, mine did not move.
5. Remove the pin holding the spiral gear to the shaft. [I spent 2 hrs plus as I did not have the right size punch]. If you are serious, go buy a cheap one.
6. Motor comes apart by undoing the long screws. [it assembles only one way due to the pin, so no need to mark.
7. I noticed lot to brush dust and channel cut into the commutator.
8. Being Saturday I could not find any machine shop that was open. So plan your fix. The armature is almost the size of a lolly pop and finding a machine shop who would work on it is another problem. Sewing machine repair shop comes to mind [note they usually work with ac motors].
9. So i mounted the armature on my drill press and used a file and a block. Ocne the ridge was almost gone, I used the sharpie to cover the commutator and then gently used the drill, file and the block to get the last bit.
10. Then I used an exacto (tm) to scribe through the gaps [got an earful from my wife as it was her toy]
11. reassemble the motor and did a bench test. It spun fine but quickly slowed down.
12. I did notice the rear end of the motor to be warm.
13. Disassembled and cleaned the rear of the shaft. Lubed it and assembled the motor again.
14. This time I attached the motor shaft to drill press and held the body and ran my drill for about 10 minutes while pushing the body up and down (limit of the travel).
15. Bench test and the motor seems fine.
16. As you attach the motor back to the steering column, remember to spin it in.
17. Attach the screws and connector. [dont tighten it down fully].
18. Test in vehicle and then tighten it down .. dont over-torque.
19. Put the panels back.

I will let you guys know how long the in-house repair lasts. I do wish I had found the right machine shop to properly shape the commutator.

Salim

Last edited by salimshah; 04-29-12 at 10:52 AM.
The following users liked this post:
danski50 (10-10-20)
Old 09-02-13, 05:23 PM
BigBang
Lead Lap

Which 2 bolts exactly do I need to remove for the telescope motor? The 2 on the bottom of the motor touching the black part inbetween the 2 circles? Or do I need to remove one of the bolts in the red circle?

Pretty much what ntran described, it moves for ab a second or 2 in/out and then dies, but the button you can hear it still receives power while trying to move it, also I don't hear grinding sounds.. so what does that mean? Should I replace the whole motor? Or could it be the worm gear thing?

Last edited by BigBang; 09-02-13 at 05:32 PM.
Old 04-20-14, 08:11 PM
salimshah

Received 993 Likes on 898 Posts
Default Update

The telescoping motor crapped out.
2yrs!

Salim
Old 04-22-14, 03:39 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 226 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by ntran18
The tele-motor is ~12 inches further down the column on the left side. I learned the hard way, DO NOT DISASSEMBLE anything else. Disconnect the motor, then remove the 2 bolts holding down the motor. Unscrew the motor until it comes out, it's a worm gear...
How do you disconnect the motor? In the picture above, the red/green wires are in a white plug above the motor and wrap around to connect to it on the back side. It seems like the disconnection should happen at that white plug, but I can't find a latch or anything to release them. And I'm scared to try tugging any harder than I already have.

Also, stupid question: how do you apply 12V power? Just hook it up to a car battery or something? Does it matter which wire is hooked to pos/neg, or would reversing them just make the motor run the other direction?
Old 05-02-18, 09:39 PM
Wesley39
Rookie

Originally Posted by aliga
i have the entire column with both tilt and telescopic motors, 70 shipped to your door.
Aliga do you have a column to sell, or do you know of anyone who wants to sell a column assembly for 1995 LS 400