IMAGE#3
UCF21 Update & Ballers of WFC Meetup by BX | PHOTO, on Flickr

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
Old 01-10-13, 05:50 PM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by myLEXsc400
awesome, thanks for the insight. i guess these are my next tires, then. I love your car, btw. looks great
Be aware that Achilles tires don't stretch like say, Falkens. I'd wait for KingPhilip to chime in on his experience with Achilies, so you get both sides of the story. There's a reason why he's switching to FK's
Old 01-10-13, 06:01 PM
chargerfan
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

Ive stretched 215 40 atr sports on 18x9 and 18x9.5 just fine. If anything ....can even stretch on 18x10 should the need arise

Daniel goes to sd tires in Escondido ... those guys arent exactly the best at what they do. If he went thru my guy (whos been working at discount tires far too long for his own good) ... then this wouldn't be an issue for mr kingphilip
Old 01-10-13, 06:04 PM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by chargerfan
Ive stretched 215 40 atr sports on 18x9 and 18x9.5 just fine. If anything ....can even stretch on 18x10 should the need arise

Daniel goes to sd tires in Escondido ... those guys arent exactly the best at what they do. If he went thru my guy (whos been working at discount tires far too long for his own good) ... then this wouldn't be an issue for mr kingphilip
wait - what does that have to do with tire wear and stretch? just wondering
Old 01-10-13, 06:23 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

ever since i bought my 97 5spd i'v been looking for a new set of wheels for the car, and recently have been debating what tires to use. this car will be na-t soon, and im shooting for only 375ish to the wheels (bc im keeping stock compression). I see a few people here are using the ACHILLES ATR tires, and i'm wondering how good they are. according to the American Pacific Industries website, the company focuses on individual strengths for each of their brands to maximize efficiency with the factories they are contracted with. but there is not much more info about them.

so my question is, how do these hold up? how is the grip in wet and dry? the price is cheap so im tempted, but idk if i should get these tires or spend a few more bucks and get Falken FK452's

im thinking 235/40/18f and 265/35/18r
Not really sure for what width you're gonna use those specs of Achilles, but just to answer your question;

THA GOOD:
*cheap
*acceptable grip - wet and dry (without compromising safety, but then again I grew up in the tropics, so I'ma very well rounded in driving in heavy rains and such and such...)

THA BAD:
*loud
*wears fast
*thinner than other brands when stretching

MY CONCLUSION AFTER USING SEVERAL SETS:

Save up for Falkens or something similar for another $200 difference per set, and last longer and stretch better.

Originally Posted by raine
Be aware that Achilles tires don't stretch like say, Falkens. I'd wait for KingPhilip to chime in on his experience with Achilies, so you get both sides of the story. There's a reason why he's switching to FK's
^^^Oh yeah, you too. Refer up thurr.^^^

Originally Posted by chargerfan

What?! You're confusing me now... Ever since I met ya you always say SD Tires is your man, this is the first time you ever said go to someone you know that work at Discount Tires...

But regarding you stretching on your Subi, is incomparable to SC's. Light weight car vs. heavy weight car. Remember, the more you stretch the lower the weight the tire can handle. I'm not saying Achilles is a bad brand, I'm just saying I wouldn't recommend extreme stretching on them.
Old 01-10-13, 07:20 PM
Trucho
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm about to order some XXR 530 Chromium black F 18X8.75 with +20 offset R 18x9.75 with +20 offset. I will be on stock ride suspension for now. Which tires do you guys recommend if I plan on adding coilovers in the near future?
Old 01-10-13, 07:37 PM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Trucho
I'm about to order some XXR 530 Chromium black F 18X8.75 with +20 offset R 18x9.75 with +20 offset. I will be on stock ride suspension for now. Which tires do you guys recommend if I plan on adding coilovers in the near future?
get the coilovers first. you're doing it the other way around
Old 01-10-13, 07:47 PM
Trucho
Rookie

awwww but I'm tired of riding on some ghetto 20's.
Old 01-10-13, 07:58 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

^^^Just get some quick stockies and buy coilovers. Then save for the rims that you really want.
Old 01-10-13, 08:31 PM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Trucho
awwww but I'm tired of riding on some ghetto 20's.
Just deal with it for a little bit more. Save money until you can get everything - coilovers, wheels, tires, and an alignment. Then fit everything up. It's better to exercise some patience now as opposed to jumping the gun on some 18's only to ride high in the sky for who knows how many months until you get coilovers.... appearance-wise it'll be no different than running on your ghetto 20's you have right now LOL
Old 01-10-13, 08:43 PM
Trucho
Rookie

Just deal with it for a little bit more. Save money until you can get everything - coilovers, wheels, tires, and an alignment. Then fit everything up. It's better to exercise some patience now as opposed to jumping the gun on some 18's only to ride high in the sky for who knows how many months until you get coilovers.... appearance-wise it'll be no different than running on your ghetto 20's you have right now LOL
true haha
Old 01-11-13, 09:10 AM
myLEXsc400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

well, i dont plan on running any stretch. I will most likely be getting the XXR 531's in 18x8.5 and18x9.5 +20 offset with 235/40 and 265/35 tires. I want it to look good but to also grip well.

Originally Posted by KingPhilip
Not really sure for what width you're gonna use those specs of Achilles, but just to answer your question;

THA GOOD:
*cheap
*acceptable grip - wet and dry (without compromising safety, but then again I grew up in the tropics, so I'ma very well rounded in driving in heavy rains and such and such...)

THA BAD:
*loud
*wears fast
*thinner than other brands when stretching

MY CONCLUSION AFTER USING SEVERAL SETS:

Save up for Falkens or something similar for another $200 difference per set, and last longer and stretch better.

But regarding you stretching on your Subi, is incomparable to SC's. Light weight car vs. heavy weight car. Remember, the more you stretch the lower the weight the tire can handle. I'm not saying Achilles is a bad brand, I'm just saying I wouldn't recommend extreme stretching on them.
I have Fk452 on my SC400 now, and i like them. But the ATR's are cheaper, so i was just wondering from a performance point of view, whats the best bang for your buck tire.

Thank you for all the input, guys! As far as my wheel choice, though, id love a set of Work Meister's but the used ones i see for sale are very aggressive, and i dont want to run too much camber or stretch just to fit them. Plus, they're expensive as ****. Hence why im leaning towards the XXR CCW reps. I think the chromium black would look good with my pearl green SC
Old 01-11-13, 10:54 AM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

well, i dont plan on running any stretch. I will most likely be getting the XXR 531's in 18x8.5 and18x9.5 +20 offset with 235/40 and 265/35 tires. I want it to look good but to also grip well.

I have Fk452 on my SC400 now, and i like them. But the ATR's are cheaper, so i was just wondering from a performance point of view, whats the best bang for your buck tire.

Thank you for all the input, guys! As far as my wheel choice, though, id love a set of Work Meister's but the used ones i see for sale are very aggressive, and i dont want to run too much camber or stretch just to fit them. Plus, they're expensive as ****. Hence why im leaning towards the XXR CCW reps. I think the chromium black would look good with my pearl green SC
FK452's are the best bang for the buck IMO. I've tried a lot of different tire brands yet I always went back to the FK's.

Coincidentally, I'm running FK's on my Work Meisters. And to be blunt - the reason why they're "expensive as ****" is partly because of wheel quality... and partly so I don't have to say that I'm rolling on "reps" (which is just someone's idea of a politically correct way to say "copied/fakes") LOL
Old 01-11-13, 11:21 AM
myLEXsc400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

FK452's are the best bang for the buck IMO. I've tried a lot of different tire brands yet I always went back to the FK's.

Coincidentally, I'm running FK's on my Work Meisters. And to be blunt - the reason why they're "expensive as ****" is partly because of wheel quality... and partly so I don't have to say that I'm rolling on "reps" (which is just someone's idea of a politically correct way to say "copied/fakes") LOL
Thank You for the input. Maybe i should stay with the FK's then..

Raine, your Meisters are beautiful. I love then custom color. I need to find some in 18" though.
Whats a reasonable price to pay for a set?
Old 01-11-13, 11:27 AM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Raine, your Meisters are beautiful. I love then custom color. I need to find some in 18" though.
Whats a reasonable price to pay for a set?
It's difficult to say... I bought my set used for about $2500, and that was before I had them straightened to zero, with the custom center finish and the chrome dipped lips.

I've seen used 18" sets run for around $1800 for the 1P, $2200-ish for the 3P... but it always varies. Usually when you have the money to buy, it's a pain to find the right fitment. But when you don't have the money yet, a bunch of nice sets pop up in the classifieds LOL

Quick Reply: ****Official Wheel & Tire Fitment Guide for SC300/SC400****