Print Wikipost

****Official Wheel & Tire Fitment Guide for SC300/SC400****

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-09, 11:28 PM
RaynArt
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not only too thin but tc's are 5x100

on that note quick question. have a friend who may sell his wheels, need opinions on this size.
18x9 +12
18x10 +12

my fenders are rolled. will those poke out too much? im sure id have to stretch a tire a bit
Old 08-19-09, 12:31 AM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by RaynArt
not only too thin but tc's are 5x100

on that note quick question. have a friend who may sell his wheels, need opinions on this size.
18x9 +12
18x10 +12

my fenders are rolled. will those poke out too much? im sure id have to stretch a tire a bit
you might have to pull a hair, but it's pretty close so you'll have to check after getting tires
Old 08-19-09, 04:26 PM
fastlane56
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The question: will it fit?

I'm looking to put some 19x8.5 ASA AR1s on my 1998 SC300. The offset is 40mm and I'm planning to put 245/35/19 tires on. Does this sound like a good fit?! Much appreciated.
Old 08-19-09, 07:43 PM
SpuGen
Rookie

Originally Posted by raine
I'd say 225/265

And you have to remove the inner lining because when you roll the fenders you also flatten the mounting holes for the fender liner (and lip trim, which you remove as well)
I went with 235/40/18 and 255/35/18. It was the closest to sidewall height which is what I want. I hate having thinner sidewalls on one side.

No idea how it looks yet since I haven't mounted the tires.
Will update with pics.
Old 08-19-09, 09:25 PM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by fastlane56
I'm looking to put some 19x8.5 ASA AR1s on my 1998 SC300. The offset is 40mm and I'm planning to put 245/35/19 tires on. Does this sound like a good fit?! Much appreciated.
Bad up front, worse in the rear. 40mm offset is FWD/AWD offset. Don't look at those $1000 package deals in magazine ads.

For an idea, with an 8.5" up front you'll want around a 23-offset just to get the wheel close to flush with the fender (after lowering the car of course). in the rear you'd want an even lower offset if you want to fit an 8.5, which will look really FWD-ish anyways because the rear wheel well on an SC has LOTS of room.
Old 08-19-09, 11:33 PM
empower
Driver School Candidate

after my experience... anyone running more than 20 offset on anything smaller than 9J front and 10J rear is wasting their time.

9.5J +20 F fits fine with 225's and 9.5J +2- R calls for a 10-15mm spacer after a roll.
Old 08-20-09, 10:13 AM
fastlane56
Driver School Candidate

I appreciate the help. To be honest, I have a pretty basic knowledge of wheels and tires (hence why I'm here...), so if I'm looking to put 19" rims on my SC without lowering it, do you have any suggestions in that department? Also, with what you posted earlier, were you saying that it would look bad or that it flat-out wouldn't work?
Old 08-20-09, 10:23 AM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by fastlane56
I appreciate the help. To be honest, I have a pretty basic knowledge of wheels and tires (hence why I'm here...), so if I'm looking to put 19" rims on my SC without lowering it, do you have any suggestions in that department? Also, with what you posted earlier, were you saying that it would look bad or that it flat-out wouldn't work?
if you're going 19's you'll need to lower the car for sure, unless you're into the "RX350 look"... and I meant that it would look bad. You can fit 8.5" +40 on the car (people - including myself at one point - run IS350 OEM's on the SC, and the IS350 wheels are around +40ish. It updates the look of the SC but the fitment as far as how it is under the fender is pretty much stock looking (i.e. under the fender, no flush). Having an aftermarket 19" wheel sunken in like that just looks cheesy IMO. I had 19x8.5" +38 up front with a 15mm spacer before (making it effectively a +23) and they were still sunken in a good 1-1.5" - and that was up front. imagine the same wheel in the rear and it would be sunken in a lot more.

Of course it all depends on what look you want for your car, if you want mild, flush, super-aggressive, etc. Also if you are going to lower the car and/or put some aero on it. You'll get a lot of mixed responses regarding 19's on an SC, some people like a lowered SC on 19's with the right fitment, others think you shouldn't put 19's on an SC without a body kit, yada yada yada.

Personally I'm running 19's lowered on coilovers, 9.5/10.5 to be exact.
Old 08-21-09, 08:23 PM
TheKevin
Lexus Champion

can anyone come up with something like this?
Name:  wheelfitments.jpg
Views: 13474
Size:  100.7 KB

its a wheel fitment chart for the scion tC. a chart like that would answer a lot of fitment questions
Old 08-23-09, 01:49 AM
empower
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TheKevin
can anyone come up with something like this?

its a wheel fitment chart for the scion tC. a chart like that would answer a lot of fitment questions
yes and no. tire size and alignment play a HUGE role .. and anyone lowering should be rolling fenders unless they are tucking. flush + lowering = dumb otherwise. rub rub rub rub

also some people have weird ideas about what "flush" is..
Old 08-23-09, 01:35 PM
ecstaticSC
Racer

I need tire recommendations...

My previous set up was 17x9.5 +15, 235/45 Front, 255/40 rear.

My new setup will be 19x8.5 +15 and 19x10 +20. What tire sizes would be ideal? I am also thinking about picking up a 10mm spacer for the front.
Old 08-24-09, 01:07 PM
HKS JZZ30
Driver

how would fitment be on 19x9 +45 and 19x10 +45?

ugly? flush? not aggressive, but okay?
Old 08-24-09, 02:36 PM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by HKS JZZ30
how would fitment be on 19x9 +45 and 19x10 +45?

ugly? flush? not aggressive, but okay?
sunken in battleship ugly.
Old 08-24-09, 10:12 PM
TheKevin
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ecstaticSC
I need tire recommendations...

My previous set up was 17x9.5 +15, 235/45 Front, 255/40 rear.

My new setup will be 19x8.5 +15 and 19x10 +20. What tire sizes would be ideal? I am also thinking about picking up a 10mm spacer for the front.
IMO
F 225/40 or 245/35
R 245/40 or 265/30
Old 08-30-09, 05:01 PM
2Jayzee
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by newyorksc
***Official Wheel & Tire Fitment Guide for SC300/SC400***

If you are looking for a new set of wheels for your sc300 or sc400, and you have any questions like “will these fit”, please read this thread. It seems as if everyday, or every other day, there are new threads being posted with these questions. So please take the time to educate yourself with wheel and tire fitment. A lot of topics will be discussed that all play a role in wheel fitment… bolt patterns, offsets, camber, fender modifications, widths, diameters, disk setup, and tire sizes.

Bolt pattern: 5x114.3 – When searching for your new set of wheels, make sure it has this bolt pattern. Most Lexus (Toyota), Infiniti (Nissan), and Acura (Honda) and other Japanese cars use this bolt pattern. The only way you can mount wheels that were made for a car with a different bolt pattern, i.e. BMW or VW, is using adapters. However, 5x114.3 is very popular and you shouldn’t have trouble finding a set of wheels you like with this bolt pattern.

Offsets: The stock offset is +50mm. When stock wheels are mounted to our cars, they appear to be “sunken” (tucked into the fender). Too low of an offset will make a wheel stick out, passed the fender.Many people choose to go with a lower offset, or run spacers, so the wheels will not appear to be sunken, and come to the edge of the fender, for a more aggressive/clean look.

you can go as low as +38 on a 10” wide wheel in the rear without any fender modifications and as low as +22 on a 10” wide wheel with your fenders rolled. your tire size plays a big role here.

Gamer
front: rim size 18x9; offset +44; tire size 245/45/18; no fender modifications
rear: rim size 18x10; offset +49; tire size 265/35/18; no fender modifications

MongolKhan
front: rim size 18x9; offset +24; tire size 255/35/18; fenders rolled
rear: rim size 18x10; offset +22; tire size 265/35/18; fenders rolled

Jeremyp111
front: rim size 18x8; offset +38; tire size 245/40/18; no fender modifications
rear: rim size 18x9; offset +38; tire size 265/35/18; no fender modifications

Dx3
front: rim size 19x8; offset +45; tire size ???; no fender modifications
rear: rim size 19x8; offset +45; tire size???: no fender modifications

mrshabo
front: rim size 19x8.5; offset +34; tire size 245/35/19; needed fenders rolled
rear: rim size 19x9.5; offset +36; tire size 275/25/19; needed fenders rolled

Depending on what you are doing with your car, your offset preferences will change.

There was some argument on how lower offsets will affect handling, please read further here:

Will lower offsets affect handling?

Also consider, when going with wider wheels, and you have a high offset, you may interfere with suspension components, like the strut. You can go with a 10" wide rim and stock offset and it will not interfere. If you went with a 12" wide rim and stock offset, it will not clear suspension components. The main thing is to find a perfect balance.

When shopping for new wheels, take into consider disk fitment. If you have upgraded or plan on upgrading your brakes, make sure you have high disk fitment.. for the front at least. With high disk fitment, the face of the wheel will curve move to make clearance for the bigger caliper. With low disk fitment, the face of the wheel will appear “flatter”.

If you buy a new set of wheels, it is almost a given that you have your car lowered or you are going to. You should be fine with anything up to 19” with the right wheel dimensions. With 20” rims on an SC and a 1.5” drop you should be good. Over a 1.5” drop you will need to do inner fender modifications. This may include removing the fender lining completely and relocating the wiring harness… depending on how extreme you want to go with your drop.

How to make wheels fit: You can make wheels fit your car in many ways.. You can roll your fenders, run negative camber, stretch tires, pull your fenders, or do a combination, or do all.

There are many techniques for rolling fenders. If you plan on rolling a lot of fenders, you might want to invest in an “Eastwood Fender Roller”. Search for it on any search engine and it should appear.

Fender Lip

Can you see the fender lip? It’s a black strip of plastic that lines the fender. As you can see, with the current wheel mounted, the tire will rub the fender lip when driving over bumps and going over dips. You can either cut this black strip, sand it down, or remove it completely. Under the black strip of plastic there is actual steel that also pokes into the space as well. Some cars do not have the black strip but the steel rather. Either way, when people roll their fenders, they are basically maximizing the space inside the wheel well for more clearance, even if it means diminishing strength of the quarter-panel.

Negative Camber
Negative Camber 2

Running negative camber is not suggested unless you are really going extreme. With negative camber, you will have increased tire wear, and some enthusiasts deem it unsafe if you have too much. Most people who run an extreme amount as shown above usually have air suspension and do not actually drive like that, however there are some that do. Some negative camber, with the correct ratios, actually improves handling. Please visit this link for more information: http://www.ozebiz.com.au/racetech/theory/align.html

Stretching tires has many pros and cons. Yes, the look is appealing, and it will help you clear your new wheels, but you are fitting tires on a rim that it wasn’t made for. It is easier to damage the rim or pop the tire. Also, the sidewall of the tire will flex less since it is being stretched, so many drifters run stretched tires. Other than that, there is really no advantage or disadvantage performance wise, just make sure you maintain correct pressures.

Various tire stretches:

225/35/17 on 17x10
245/35/19 on 19x10.5 Falken 451
For a great thread on tire stretches you might want to check out this thread on vsc by CL member hoebag:
Consolidated Tire Stretch Thread!

Note: Not all tires will stretch the same. Some tires have more rigid sidewalls than others, that will not stretch as much.

If I forgot to mention something important, or if there is an error, please PM me. If you see one of your pictures here, and don’t want it here, please PM me.

I encourage CL members to contribute to this thread.

CL Member Name:
Rim Brand and Type:
Rim Size f/r:
Rim Offset f/r:
Tire Size f/r:
Suspension Setup:
Comment On Ride:
Fender Modifications:
Any other comments:
Picture:

Edit: February 09. 2008 - Been real busy lately and always wanted to update the thread with the photos i've gather throughout time, and will update the photos above and add accordingly. For now, this was my setup a long time ago:

CL Member Name: newyorksc/workaholic
Rim Brand and Type: CCW Classics
Rim Size f/r: F: 18x10 R: 18x11
Rim Offset f/r: F:+24 R:+32
Tire Size f/r: F: 245/35 R: 275/35
Suspension Setup: Tein Flex
Comment On Ride: Very Tight, But Too Bouncy
Fender Modifications: Rolled
Any other comments: No rubbing when camber was not "fixed".
Pictures:

This was the rear tire after a few months (275/35 Toyo TR1 on 11" Barrell):

The overall stance of the car with the setup:
These wheels are stupid dope bro .. I love em , what are they jumbo ccw's?

Quick Reply: ****Official Wheel & Tire Fitment Guide for SC300/SC400****