Print Wikipost

****Official Wheel & Tire Fitment Guide for SC300/SC400****

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-06, 10:26 AM
jibbby
Banned - could not follow forum rules

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cherplex
Keep this thread on topic. Jibby posting the actual racist terms used doesn't help anything...I personally find this offensive,mispelling the N word doesn't change anything either...
It is on topic, just making a point....By mispelling the N word proves I don't use that word....Just making a point....Back too topic....How about those wheels?

Ok wheels and tires.....

Wide tires look great and handle well for performance.... Rolling the lip on the fender of the SC's is about all you can do to squeeze those monsters in the rear wheel wells...

Also lighter weight rims and smaller diameter tires (height not width) can help with performance...Less drag and faster wheel revolutions makes the car quicker...

Skinnies or thinner and taller tires make for a more comfortable ride, like the stock rims and tires....

Safety concerns to consider -

Rim offset should be seriously considered when purchasing after market rims and tires...If possible you always want to avoid using wheel spacers...As the stock threaded lug bolts are not very long to begin with...Reducing the thread grap with lug nuts on the rears can become very dangerous...Especailly with an upgraded torque converter and fat tires...You need all the thread grab you can get...

A true story on my SC400 - I put 5/8" or so spacers on the rears years ago, got about four or five solid turns on each lug nut....What happen is the lug nuts stripped and popped oft after about a month or so.... On one launch the last nut stripped and popped off and the rear tire went flying. Needless to say I ruined my brake rotor, and had to replace all the lug bolts....Luckly no on got hurt with the flying tire and rim...It rolled, bounced and rested down the block in someones front yard....Had to call the flatbed tow truck, the whole situation was just ugly.....I don't use spacers anymore without a hub lip and or atleast I must get atleast seven or eight full turns on the lug nuts to feel good about it..., I suggest using wheel adaptors if you need big offset changes.. I would use very thin spacers with the rim hub lip if a spacer is a must........Or of course the best is the perfect rim offset and no spacers needed at all.......

The maximum wheel spacer I would consider using on the SC's is 1/4 inch and that would only be with the rim hub lip.... Hear is a pic...
Attached Thumbnails ****Official Wheel & Tire Fitment Guide for SC300/SC400****-hpim0409a.jpg  

Last edited by jibbby; 08-08-06 at 10:32 AM.
Old 08-08-06, 10:32 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Originally Posted by jibbby
It is on topic, just making a point....By mispelling the N word proves I don't use that word....Just making a point....Back too topic....How about those wheels?
It only proves you are working around our language censor. Check your PM asap please.
Old 08-08-06, 10:37 AM
jibbby

Sorry Dave, just get frusterated sometimes with people so quick to use the racist thing.. I won't use those terns again and appologise......

I am trying to get this thread back on topic and save someones life with the spacers and adaptors that can actually cause accidents, or be very dangerous...This is an 3/4 inch wheel adaptor with rim hub lip for the SC...
Attached Thumbnails ****Official Wheel & Tire Fitment Guide for SC300/SC400****-hpim0411.jpg  
Old 08-08-06, 10:42 AM
jibbby

These universal adaptors are dangerous and I would be careful when using them....Don't want a wheel flying off on the freeway do you?

That top spacer in the pic's in my opinion are dangerous...

Oh, You can also install longer lug bolts on your SC, Kragen auto parts sells longer SC lug bolts that are about 1/4 inch longer then stock...To remove the stock lug bolts just grab a big heavy hammer and pound out the stock lug bolts from behind the spindel....Did all 20 of mine in about a half hour....I think they were $3 each at kragen.....

Just throwing out info for you folks.......
Attached Thumbnails ****Official Wheel & Tire Fitment Guide for SC300/SC400****-hpim0412.jpg  

Last edited by jibbby; 08-08-06 at 10:49 AM.
Old 08-08-06, 05:04 PM
AME_VIP
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jibby,

I have run 3mm and 5mm slip ons, and 15mm bolt ons with no problems. All were not hubcentric. No vibrations, no probems for 2 years.

Good info on how easy it is to replace the studs. It varies a lot from car to car.
Old 09-09-06, 10:18 AM
Kohinoor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i have some 19x8.5 +24 and 19x10 +15 being shipped to me

my question is: what size tires would i need? i was thinking 225/35/19f and 255/30/19r

would that be good? or should i go with smaller tires?
Old 09-09-06, 05:03 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by HoeBag
i have some 19x8.5 +24 and 19x10 +15 being shipped to me

my question is: what size tires would i need? i was thinking 225/35/19f and 255/30/19r

would that be good? or should i go with smaller tires?
What kind of stretch are you looking for? I would go with Falken 452's in the same specs you listed the 452's are big their 215 is like a regular 225 so you might want to keep that in mind.
Old 09-10-06, 07:20 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

again, not a big proponent of stretched tires, but you will probably have to use a 245 to get those rears to work...
Old 09-10-06, 07:23 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by TurboTeg
Jibby,

I have run 3mm and 5mm slip ons, and 15mm bolt ons with no problems. All were not hubcentric. No vibrations, no probems for 2 years.

Good info on how easy it is to replace the studs. It varies a lot from car to car.
the really thin spacers are ok in my book, hubcentric if possible... certain vehicles are much more likely to have vibe problems than others... also, certain vehicles don't have have long enough wheel studs to even accommodate a 3mm spacer, so, keep that in mind...

a stud needs to be long enough to have enough stud covered by the lug nut so that the width of the stud is at minimum how deep the lug threads down...
Old 09-19-06, 12:53 PM
Chasterx7
Driver School Candidate

Question Wheel/Tire Sizing.

I just purchased a set of rims with the following specs:

16X8" +20 all around.

I've done a search and most of the information I found pertain to offsets in questions to bigger wheels with a wider stance. I know it's a bit out of the norm for those who are looking to upgrade their rims/tires, but I really like to see if these will fit on a 92' SC300. If so, would I be compromising too much in terms of driveability? Would I need spacers? Any recomendation including tires sizing would be of much help.

Thanks!!!
Old 09-19-06, 01:22 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Chasterx7
I just purchased a set of rims with the following specs:

16X8" +20 all around.

I've done a search and most of the information I found pertain to offsets in questions to bigger wheels with a wider stance. I know it's a bit out of the norm for those who are looking to upgrade their rims/tires, but I really like to see if these will fit on a 92' SC300. If so, would I be compromising too much in terms of driveability? Would I need spacers? Any recomendation including tires sizing would be of much help.

Thanks!!!
For a 8" width I won't go past 225 maybe 235 depends on the manufacturer. As far as 16" I'm not sure on what size the sidewall should be. Are you lowering the car? And I don't see any reason for spacers unless you have bbk and the wheels won't fit.
Old 09-19-06, 01:39 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

For a 8" width I won't go past 225 maybe 235 depends on the manufacturer. As far as 16" I'm not sure on what size the sidewall should be. Are you lowering the car? And I don't see any reason for spacers unless you have bbk and the wheels won't fit.
stock tire size, 225/55-16 wll work just fine... 245/50-16 will probably work too... +20 offset is kinda high, but staying with a 245 or smaller should be just fine...

as a reference, the wheels will stick out about 1 1/4" from the stock stuff...
Old 09-19-06, 02:59 PM
hemogoblin
Lexus Test Driver

I have some Supra TT rims.... I'd like to slap some 285's in the rear, and some 245's or 255's in the front.

Will I have any issues?

TT rims are 17x8 and 17x9.5.
Old 09-19-06, 03:13 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by hemogoblin
I have some Supra TT rims.... I'd like to slap some 285's in the rear, and some 245's or 255's in the front.

Will I have any issues?

TT rims are 17x8 and 17x9.5.
Should be just fine... Personally, I'd run 275/40-17 (285's are a tad tall, and lower gearing just a hair) and on the front 245/45-17. Those sizes will be exactly the same height and fit no problem...
Old 09-19-06, 03:57 PM
Chasterx7
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the quick response guys.

I'd just did a quick test fit of the rims on the car and the front don't appear to fit. I was told I can shave a little off the brake pads, would getting spacers be advised at this point? If so, how much spacing would I need and would it also be recommended that I get spacers for the rears to keep the ratio even with the fronts? The rears fit without any issues by the way.

Quick Reply: ****Official Wheel & Tire Fitment Guide for SC300/SC400****