Print Wikipost

****Official Wheel & Tire Fitment Guide for SC300/SC400****

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-06, 01:59 PM
u1923
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question

does anyone know if 275/40/17 on 17x9 +35 would fit on the rear? or will they rub the fenders? thanks
Old 03-17-06, 02:28 PM
racinstyle
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by u1923
does anyone know if 275/40/17 on 17x9 +35 would fit on the rear? or will they rub the fenders? thanks
it will fit with no problem at all
Old 03-17-06, 04:10 PM
ummagawd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i will back racinstyle on this one....

i have a 18x9 +33 with a 265... and I'm on air... I can tuck it in and ROLL with my car slammed all the way down

you'll be fine

ride height

slammed and tucked
The following users liked this post:
TitanG545 (07-25-20)
Old 03-17-06, 05:23 PM
racinstyle
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post

19x9 +26 245/35/19
19x10 +26 285/30/19
stock suspension, shaved fenders

Old 03-17-06, 09:04 PM
newyorksc
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

[QUOTE=P.Williams]
The first set of wheels I put on my SC were 18x8.5's front and 18x9.5's rear, both were +32 offset. Tires were 245/40 front and 275/35 rear. The car is dropped on Tein CS coilovers and has Daizen camber correction front and rear. The fit in front was a little tight and the front fenders were rolled and pulled slightly. In back, the tire tread stuck out beyond the rear fender lip by a good 10mm, at least. The rears had to heavily rolled and pulled. It also seems that a lot of these cars are pretty well slammed to the ground. So, you've got +24ET 19x11's in back with a 2"+ drop, and you were able to tuck them in with just a mild roll?...I guess we didn't bother to correct the camber, did we? QUOTE]

I've got +28ET 18x11s on stretched rubbers in back with tein flex lowered to the bottom perch, my tires tucking and so is the rim, on a mild roll, and the only camber work i did was to make it more negative. New tires every 6000 miles, yeah, daily driving in new york city, pot holes just as bad as in chi, some cobblestone roads here and there, everywhere no blow outs not on some cheap $1000 cast wheels either... nobody said this thread was the vip style fitment thread, but a couple members were interested on the vip fitment, so it had been explained, just like it should have been in a tire and wheel fitment guide. im saying from my personal opinion, from first hand experience, it is not as bad as you describe it to be... like its some horror story to run wide wheels and stretched rubber when its not really that serious if you drive normally, its just a daily driver, with some spirited driving here and there

Last edited by newyorksc; 03-17-06 at 09:15 PM.
Old 03-18-06, 12:31 AM
P.Williams
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by workaholic
I've got +28ET 18x11s on stretched rubbers in back with tein flex lowered to the bottom perch, my tires tucking and so is the rim, on a mild roll, and the only camber work i did was to make it more negative. New tires every 6000 miles, yeah, daily driving in new york city, pot holes just as bad as in chi, some cobblestone roads here and there, everywhere no blow outs not on some cheap $1000 cast wheels either... nobody said this thread was the vip style fitment thread, but a couple members were interested on the vip fitment, so it had been explained, just like it should have been in a tire and wheel fitment guide. im saying from my personal opinion, from first hand experience, it is not as bad as you describe it to be... like its some horror story to run wide wheels and stretched rubber when its not really that serious if you drive normally, its just a daily driver, with some spirited driving here and there
Yeah, but I think you've managed to illustrate my point. You had to add negative camber to get them to tuck in. I, on the other hand, added positive camber to be able to return the car to its proper alignment. Considering average yearly mileage is generally in the 12,000-15,000 mile range, replacing a set of pricey 18-20" rubber every 6000 miles is a horror story if I've ever heard one. Maybe I'm wrong, and the tastes of the average SC owner on this board have changed, but I wouldn't think most of us would consider having to tip-toe around town in our cars just to be rewarded with 6-months of tire life as being worthwhile. I still also fail to see any sort of real performance benefit from this trend. I simply want the unseasoned tuner searching to upgrade the performance and looks of their SC with a new set of rims and tires, to realize that the stretched look is all show. It's not performance oriented, and it's not cost effective. If you love the look and can afford to replace your tires that often, more power to you.

As to Roo's comment about me overstating things...I don't see how I did. First off, stock alignment settings for the rear are around -.9 degrees camber. So, even if you've performed a mild 1.5-inch drop, you're looking at over 2 degrees negative camber. Plus, there are members using camber kits in the reverse manner of their intent by adding negative camber. The Daizen camber kit will alter camber by up to 1.5 degrees. So, combined with a lowered suspension, you're looking at more than 3 degrees negative camber. Those running coilovers at the lowest setting are well beyond that. Anyway, my point was valid. If you're running a significant level of negative camber, you're not using the full possible contact patch of your tire. Maybe if by using the word "portion" I gave the impression of only a slight percentage of the tire width being effective. That wasn't my intent. I simply meant "portion" in the general sense of less than a complete whole. Sorry, if that wasn't clear.

To the supposed performance benefits of stretched tires...If you're that interested in decreasing the amount of sidewall flex in the tire, there are better ways to go about it. A) just purchase a set of rims in the next diameter up with lower profiles tires, thereby reducing the height of the sidewall; B) if you've got the cash and aren't concerned about relatively short tire life or no winter traction capability, purchase a set of max performance tires with a stiffer sidewall; or C) my favorite, find one of the many gas stations that offer FREE AIR and simply increase your tire pressures.

Lastly, I'd like to reaffirm the fact that I'm not trying to make enemies with the stretched wheel crowd. It just seems like this fitment guide has become muddled with so many different types of goals as far as wheel fitment. We almost need various fitment guides broken down into something like an OEM Toyota/Lexus interchange guide (the various stock 16" alloy wheels, IS300 17x7's, GS400/430 17x8's, SC430 18x8's, etc.), an upgrade guide for 17-19" aftermarket wheels using factory alignment, and then an extreme width/offset VIP guide. That's just the way I see it. Sorry, if I've stepped on any toes.

Last edited by P.Williams; 03-18-06 at 12:36 AM.
Old 03-18-06, 01:27 PM
lsflame
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Wheels I chose

I chose these wheels in

Front : 18x8.5 with +45 225/40/18
Rear : 18x9.5 with +50 275/40/18
Suspension: TT Eibach prokit springs (with factory TT Shocks)!
Brakes: TT Front brake upgrade
Stock fenders Front and Rear!

I hope this fits! Wheels arrive on tuesday Any comments would be Appreciative

Last edited by lsflame; 03-19-06 at 11:15 AM.
Old 03-18-06, 05:37 PM
VGnomore
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

those wheels will be sunk in. an offset of +35 all the way around is perfect for those wheel widths for people who want a good offset while not having to mod the fenders. my 2 cents
Old 03-18-06, 07:07 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by lsflame

Front : 18x8.5 with +45 225/40/18
Rear : 18x9.5 with +50 275/40/18

I hope this fits!
lol, have you learned nothing from this thread?

it'll fit, don't worry about that one.
Old 03-18-06, 10:47 PM
lsflame
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Xotic sC
lol, have you learned nothing from this thread?

it'll fit, don't worry about that one.

I am not worried about rubbing or being tucked! I am worried about wheel clearances with the brakes. I went with fitment followign the stock TT specs and just added diameter to the wheel. So if I stick them on and they are sunk in well these are cheap wheels from directperformance and for about $70 a wheel i am not complaining. They are for daily driving and for beating on at the autocross and road races. Not really worried about all that flushness because I have a different set of wheel for that (JLines).

And i got these:

18x8.5 +35 235/40
18x9.5 +25 275/40
Hey flusheness is great but i like my tire to sit flat on the ground and not cambered in. I can't afford tires like that. Not with auto x and road racing events. The longer the better they last.

Peace!

Last edited by lsflame; 03-19-06 at 11:18 AM.
Old 03-21-06, 08:22 PM
Notorious
Rookie

I like the information that's contained in this thread but it's not really easy to get to... have to search through pages and pages of rants and disses. It's nice to see so many knowledgable people out there, but not easy to get the answers I want without posting my exact question.... so here goes:

Can anyone recommend offsets for 17" and 18" rims?
I'm looking at getting either 17x8 in front and 17x9 in rear or 18x8 in front and 18x9 in rear.
I prefer the 'flush' look, but I'd prefer to minimize modification of the fenders/wheel wells.
What offset will get me close to flush w/ the outside of the car, WITHOUT going over (I hate the look where the wheels extend past the fenders)?

I'd like to keep my options open for upgrading w/ the LS400 or Supra TT calipers in the future.
Does anyone have experience w/ the Weds Sport SA70 WRT the clearance issues?
How about the Work Emotion CR Kai's, or the new Work Emotion XD9?
Other recommendations on wheels to fit my purposes?

TIA
Old 03-21-06, 08:31 PM
SWSC400
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Notorious
I like the information that's contained in this thread but it's not really easy to get to... have to search through pages and pages of rants and disses. It's nice to see so many knowledgable people out there, but not easy to get the answers I want without posting my exact question.... so here goes:

Can anyone recommend offsets for 17" and 18" rims?
I'm looking at getting either 17x8 in front and 17x9 in rear or 18x8 in front and 18x9 in rear.
I prefer the 'flush' look, but I'd prefer to minimize modification of the fenders/wheel wells.
What offset will get me close to flush w/ the outside of the car, WITHOUT going over (I hate the look where the wheels extend past the fenders)?

I'd like to keep my options open for upgrading w/ the LS400 or Supra TT calipers in the future.
Does anyone have experience w/ the Weds Sport SA70 WRT the clearance issues?
How about the Work Emotion CR Kai's, or the new Work Emotion XD9?
Other recommendations on wheels to fit my purposes?

TIA
+35 with full width tires will get you there, but if you stretch a smaller size tire than you could go lower like 28 or 30. Just depends on the look you like?
Old 03-22-06, 06:20 AM
CoffeeX
Driver School Candidate

man dunno why but gota love the white SC's
Old 03-23-06, 06:38 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 229 Likes on 173 Posts

Will an Espelir + Tokico combo and 17x8 rims up front wrapped in 245/45/17 and 17x9 in the back wrapped in 255/40/17 fit fine without rubbing issues? Offset here is +45 in the front and back I believe.

*would it still be OK if front offset was +35?

Last edited by np20412; 03-23-06 at 10:29 AM.
Old 03-23-06, 12:47 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 229 Likes on 173 Posts

anyone? I don't think this setup will have any rubbing whatsoever based on some of the other members rides, but I just want to be sure from an expert?

Quick Reply: ****Official Wheel & Tire Fitment Guide for SC300/SC400****