Browse all: Tires and Wheels Guide
Print Wikipost

****Official Wheel & Tire Fitment Guide for SC300/SC400****

Old 03-06-06, 11:34 PM
ACleanSC4
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Luv Da Lex
so i just got a set of work vs-xx for cheap, 17s though but i want 17's in front and 18's in the rear. yea i might get flame for it but yea its my car. everyman to his own.

17X8.5 +41- im gonna be running a 245 tire and probably a spacer too. something like a 5-10mm spacer

now im trying to figure out which 18's i should get

18X10 +33 or
18X10.5 +26
18X11 +20
18X11.5 +26

with the 10.5 and 11 i think like a 265 or 255 tires. i just want to at most to roll my fenders in the back.

im leaning towards the 18X10.5 with the +26, any inputs?
sorry man...17" front
18x10 +33
18x10.5 +26

245/255 on the rear would be ok....11 & 11.5 would require doing more than you might want to do...
Old 03-06-06, 11:39 PM
Luv Da Lex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea i know but its gonna be more agressive driving then just cruising so i know its small. hahahaha maybe i should just wait for you tony to go through wheels and ill take a set off of you. hahahha
Old 03-06-06, 11:41 PM
Luv Da Lex
Lexus Test Driver

how bout i just keep the vs-xx as my drift wheels when i wanna go drifting? what do you think tony? have you got a set of wheels for sale? hehehehe. if i was to get a new set i'd ssr sp1. tony pm me with stuff you have for sale if u got stuff for sale. like wheels and such.
Old 03-06-06, 11:42 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

so i just got a set of work vs-xx for cheap, 17s though but i want 17's in front and 18's in the rear. yea i might get flame for it but yea its my car. everyman to his own.

17X8.5 +41- im gonna be running a 245 tire and probably a spacer too. something like a 5-10mm spacer

now im trying to figure out which 18's i should get

18X10 +33 or
18X10.5 +26
18X11 +20
18X11.5 +26

with the 10.5 and 11 i think like a 265 or 255 tires. i just want to at most to roll my fenders in the back.

im leaning towards the 18X10.5 with the +26, any inputs?
Hey man, what's with the NSX wannabe front/rear staggered style? I know you can do your own thing to your car but I just want to know your reasoning behind this...

Anyway...
17x8.5 on 245 tire is no problem for the front.
18x10 +26 or +33 will be fine for you. You might have to get a smaller width tire like 255 or 245 if you only want to do a "minor roll" at most.
Old 03-06-06, 11:51 PM
Luv Da Lex
Lexus Test Driver

hahah yea hte nsx style it is. my friend got his vs-xx lying around. so i picked it up for cheap. maybe i should just get 17X10 instead of the 18's. just wanted some inputs. now im thinking of just keeping the vs-xx for drift or back up wheels.

now i need some rims.
Old 03-06-06, 11:57 PM
ACleanSC4
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

hahah yea hte nsx style it is. my friend got his vs-xx lying around. so i picked it up for cheap. maybe i should just get 17X10 instead of the 18's. just wanted some inputs. now im thinking of just keeping the vs-xx for drift or back up wheels.

now i need some rims.
SSR's will be for sale after I go air...

I'd save my cash & pass on those 17's unless it was free...
Old 03-07-06, 12:00 AM
Luv Da Lex
Lexus Test Driver

yea its pretty dirt cheap. something to have incase of anything. like tires for it would cost more than the rims cost. which SSR do you have?
Old 03-11-06, 03:27 PM
P.Williams
Pit Crew

So, I haven't posted on this board in ages, but I was reading this thread and felt compelled to add my 2 cents. I think I'm going ot have to back up Mongoose a bit on this one. I think what started out as a simple fitment guide turned into a battle of who could fit the widest possible rims with the lowest possible offset. Sure, if that's your thing, by all means, go for it. However, it does seem that the majority of the posters in this thread are trying to project that image as the proper way to do things. It seems that a lot of people are going more for form over function. This is exactly what NiteKids was accused of early on in the thread.
The potential hazards of running these fitments hasn't been thoroughly discussed. Stretching can indeed cause problems. Some have said that it's not a problem so long as you maintain them, and avoid potholes. Sorry, but CL membership spans the globe. What you're able to maintain in your neck of the woods may not be feasible for someone else. Try driving daily in a city like Chicago with some of these fitments. I guarantee you that your wheels and tires will be trashed within a year. You can't avoid potholes in that city, they come looking for you.
Also, has anyone bothered to consider the added stress on suspension components? We all know how a lever works, right? Imagine that your lower control arm is a lever working against the spring and shock, and the wheel and tire is a big **** at the end. Now increase the offset of that wheel, thereby lengthening the overall lever. You now effectively have more force being exerted on the springs and shocks. So, there you go, something else to replace more frequently.
The first set of wheels I put on my SC were 18x8.5's front and 18x9.5's rear, both were +32 offset. Tires were 245/40 front and 275/35 rear. The car is dropped on Tein CS coilovers and has Daizen camber correction front and rear. The fit in front was a little tight and the front fenders were rolled and pulled slightly. In back, the tire tread stuck out beyond the rear fender lip by a good 10mm, at least. The rears had to heavily rolled and pulled. It also seems that a lot of these cars are pretty well slammed to the ground. So, you've got +24ET 19x11's in back with a 2"+ drop, and you were able to tuck them in with just a mild roll?...I guess we didn't bother to correct the camber, did we?
What's worse, someone new to CL who maybe just picked up a used SC and is looking for a set of wheels and tires, might stumble across this thread. I can only assume that they would leave thinking that in order to be accepted as a part of the SC enthusiast community, they'll have to drop thousands of dollars on a pricey set of wide JDM low-offset wheels. That's really unfortunate. There are those on CL who have built really nice daily-driven SC's running stock Supra TT wheels and suspension components. Let's hope the newbies read about those cars first, and don't get discouraged.
I'm not trying to suggest that those of you that are fans of the stretched wheel look aren't valuable members of CL. I know everybody on this board loves their cars, and most are looking to help out other members through their experiences. But let's keep in mind that the title of this thread was not VIP Style Wheel Fitment Guide. There are plenty of members here like me that built cars that are meant to be driven daily, and can be driven hard. Where's our fitment guide?

Last edited by P.Williams; 03-11-06 at 05:18 PM.
Old 03-11-06, 03:41 PM
Batmobile
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by P.Williams
There are plenty of members here like me that built cars that are meant to be driven daily, and can be driven hard. Where's out fitment guide?
he's right.... if we could i would like to have the official wheel guide back. Hope one of the mods could help out.
Old 03-11-06, 08:41 PM
AME_VIP
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Different wheel fitment for different goals of course. Aggressive wheel fitment is 99% for looks and I think a flush setup looks hot.

You do make some good points.
Yes stretching is fine if you watch the tire pressure and avoid pot holes. If you can't avoid pot holes then stretching is not for you.

Please don't encourage more people to get Supra TT wheels. There are probably over 50 SC's on here with them already haha

I will be installing Daizen camber bushings soon... to add negative camber
19x9.5 -13 235/35/19, 19x11.5 +1 275/30/19. Vertex front + widened, Pulled rear. Still getting work done on the body. This is not your standard setup and thats just the way I want it.

For those who want to learn more about aggressive fitments, stretching and VIP fitments, check out www.vipstylecars.com

Last edited by AME_VIP; 03-11-06 at 08:52 PM.
Old 03-12-06, 01:14 AM
P.Williams
Pit Crew

Yeah, I hope I didn't step on any toes with my post. I'm not trying to say that the aggressive VIP style is definitely not the way to do go, by any means. Some of those cars look really hot. However, I think that for the majority of SC owners out there, it's just not practical. We almost need a series of fitment guides to suit different tastes.
The whole stretched wheel thing is just backwards to me. I'm always searching for the widest possible tire to stuff inside those wheel wells, and then choosing the right wheel to accommodate that. So, when I read about those of you fitting wheels over 10" in width in back, I start dreaming of Porsche Carrera S sized 305-section tires...only to read that you're running 245's on those rims, with so much negative camber that there's only a portion of that making contact with the road surface, and I'm left feeling disappointed.
Anyway, I just want those who aren't familiar with wheel and tire fitment who might me looking through this thread for help, to understand that the stretched wheel trend which has taken over this thread is more about looks than performance. There's a good chance that it will not suit their needs.
Old 03-12-06, 07:43 AM
Khaos
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

CL Member Name: Khaos
Rim Brand and Type: Mille Miglia
Rim Size f/r: 18x8 +40
Tire Size f/r: 245/40/R18
Suspension Setup: Eibach Supra TT
Fender Modifications: None
Any other comments: I rub slightly (on that little black strip that lines the edge of the fenders) on sharp turns.

Last edited by Khaos; 06-29-06 at 08:52 AM.
Old 03-12-06, 10:19 AM
J J
Driver

Originally Posted by pballer110
Stretching tires can be very beneficial to performance, depending on what type of driving your doing. There is less flex on the sidewall of the tire, so of course this equates to better handling, in fact, a lot of performance cars that track their cars run stretched tires.
^ ^ ^
Old 03-12-06, 12:55 PM
roo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by P.Williams
So, when I read about those of you fitting wheels over 10" in width in back, I start dreaming of Porsche Carrera S sized 305-section tires...only to read that you're running 245's on those rims, with so much negative camber that there's only a portion of that making contact with the road surface, and I'm left feeling disappointed.
I think you're a lil off here. I have 265's on my 11's in the rear with only about 1-2 degrees of neg. camber. The amount of negative camber you're referring to would be difficult on our cars rear because of suspension component clearance and the fact that our cars naturally camber in the lower the car goes so....yeah, lets not overstate things here.

About the fitment guide issue...only one guide is needed. We have enough variety here that guys with +999999 offsets and -9999999 offets basically give you the extremes either way and everything in between. This is ideal because no matter what kind of a fitment someone is looking for, they can educate themselves and choose a fitement that suits their needs. (and most likely find pictures of someone else's car with this fitment) What I don't get is why this thread hasn't become a sticky when it remains one of the most posted-in threads of all time and is extremely useful. (minus the bickering hehe)
Old 03-12-06, 04:38 PM
Midengtoy
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Wheel Fitment

I got 18x9 +15 and 18x10 +20 offset Work Termist Ts2's and it fits pretty well. The front sticks out a little but I haven't dropped the car yet. When I drop the car and camber in the front a little I'm sure it'll fit nice. I think if I went with a +20 offset all the way around it would be perfect so I wouldn't have to camber in the front. Anyone selling coilovers? Let pm me...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ****Official Wheel & Tire Fitment Guide for SC300/SC400****