Print Wikipost

****Official Wheel & Tire Fitment Guide for SC300/SC400****

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-06, 06:26 PM
u1923
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by u1923
would any of you guys be able to help me out.
i'm trying to find out the equivalent offsets for:

6.25" backspacing on 18x9.5
and
6.75" backspacing on 18x11

thanks
someone please help with the question above. thanks
Old 02-15-06, 08:29 PM
SWSC400
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's my contribution....
Kazera KZ-A
F 18x8.5 +38mm 245/40
R 18x9.5 +35mm 285/35
Shaved rear's
Great fitment!

Old 02-16-06, 01:04 AM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by cherplex
Oh ok the specs on my new shoes are

Front 19x9 +22
Rear 19x10.5 +26

I was thinking 235/35 fronts and 265/30 rear. My rear fenders are already rolled fronts haven't been touched.......yet.
Oooh... sounds yum can't wait to see!
Old 02-16-06, 08:04 AM
TexasLex
Pole Position

Originally Posted by cyberdiamo
Your "opinion" based solely on looks alone! (see further down for more of an explaination)

I have a great understanding of offset and looked very hard to find a set of wide wheels with +45.

I think it's YOU that ONLY knows how offset affects looks, and you probably have no clue on suspension design or the effect offset has on handling!!!

As for trying to STEER people in the right direction, give them the facts and let them make up their own mind as to what they want / need.

I circuit race the car (I think you call it road racing?)
As above one of the reasons I chose the offsets that were best for handling

Secondly when the bigger tyres go on I still want to be able to dump it right down (it has electronic height ajust by a flick of a switch from in the cabin as factory so I can go back up to get into a driveway etc) and that would rub like crazy if the car was dumped and the tyres were flush.

Do you guys / girls that run offsets that push the wheel out towards the guard now notice the car is twitchy in a straight line and you can't relax or let go of the wheel because it wants to veer left or right all the time.
On long journeys it get very tiring and nowhere near as enjoyable.
This is a known issue with changing you scrub radius with that kind of offset, also your tyres must wear out the inside edge due to the camber angle.

I wish I got a email notification after you replied but I still thought this needed to be cleared up.
In general, do what you like with your cars but do it knowing ALL the facts and how it will affect other things.
Good points! I think the Lexus engineers might be a little more knowledgeable about which offset would be best. It seems to me that the double-wishbone suspension these cars run would be quite sensitive to the proper offset wheels. I wonder how many of those with worn out bushings and/or with wrecked cars were running the wrong offset?
Old 02-16-06, 08:15 AM
TexasLex
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Xotic sC
^ LOL!!!!!! That's like saying that we cannot fit Supra turbo rims. Shows how much tirerack truly knows about fitment.
Good point! I checked out the offset on every wheel Tirerack shows for the SC ranging from 7" - 9" and I believe they all were between +35 and +40. So I emailed them asking why they were using those offsets when the OEM rims are stamped +50. They replied that they showed +40 as the OEM offset, and that they did not carry many wheels above a +40. This is not true b/c some of the OZ, Work and Gram Light wheels come in +47 and greater offsets.
Old 02-16-06, 08:21 AM
TexasLex
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MongooseGA
When I say lower income, I don't mean 'Mexican'. I mean, quite literally, lower income. I didn't necessarily want to say "poor people". Not race-specific.

That's not the look I'm talking about (picture of the low rider). I'm talking about the POS cars that I happened to see scattered all over Cancun, used as taxi cabs, with ugly wheels just sticking out. Not lowrider style, just wheels sticking way out past the fender. See the picture I posted. Wheels like that are what I refer to, only the cars I see are stock bodied and have no other mods.
When someone is driving in front of me on the freeway with wheels that stick out past the fenderwells their tires sometimes throw up rocks which can and have hit my freaking windshield!
Old 02-16-06, 05:25 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Deceptik1
I'm not trying to stir anything up and I appreciate others opinions but comparing those of us trying to acheive a nice lip with stretch tires to a very different style of car ethusiasts who put 12-14 inch daytons and such is mediocre. Let alone mentioning that we resemble "lower income" cars when in fact I know that the majority of members on this board running low offset and stretch tires pay more than most on wheels to modify their cars to their liking and not to please others.
Maybe you should read my post more carefully. I specified that I was not talking about the lowrider style cars, on Dayton type wire wheels.

And I've only seen this style on cheap cars in cheap areas of town furing my short life, so I equate it with lower income. Should I maybe say cheap/poor people if 'lower income' is offensive?

It doesn't matter what a wheel set up costs. IMO, the HP EVO wheels look amazing on the SC, and they can be had for under $1,000. You could spend $10k on a wheel set up like the ones in question, and I, personally, would still think it looked tacky.
Old 02-16-06, 07:08 PM
newyorksc
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I dunno. You guys must have a different meaning for the word "flush". To me, it means that the wheel/tire would be even with the fender. You guys running super low offsets with stretched tires look to be putting the rear wheels outside of the fender Not my style, IMO. Reminds me of the Mexicans that drove their Tsurus around in Cancun with tires sticking out past the wheel wells. Ick.

It seems that a +35ish offset is actually "flush". Much lower and IMO, it starts looking tacky. Eventually the fad of 'who's got the biggest lip' will die; I hope. Maybe I'm too conservative though. I find that to be a good trait, however, when it comes to a car like ours.
Yes, we do have a different meaning of flush. You can't have the tire and the rim "even" with the fender, unless you stretch your tires. If you have buldging tires, your rim will not be flush with the fender; your tire will, but your rim won't; and the rim is part of the wheel; so were trying to get the wheel flush with the fender; tire and rim. According to you, a +35ish offset is actually flush... well a +35 and what width? I doubt you were talking about a +35 with 11" width nor 12" width.. you are probably talking about a +35 on a 9" rim or even a 10" rim. Well it is not, because here is a an sc running 18x10 +35 on the rear:

Now i'm not saying that this doesn't look good, because it looks great, but it is not flush. And if anyone likes this setup, including you, that's cool.

We are running lower offsets and wider widths than usual and they only appear to be putting the wheels outside of the fender but they are not. This is currently the case with turbotegs setup, but it is just temporary for him because he is modifying his fenders. And he stated that he was modifying his fenders so if that is what you were referring to, you have no reason to compare the fitment of our wheels to the fitment of the wheels on the car that you posted:

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...26_77_full.jpg

This is what my definition of flush wheels are:

And if any of these look tacky to you, i am sorry you feel that way.
Old 02-16-06, 08:46 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

That soarer looks good very good love that fitment can't wait to put mine on
Old 02-17-06, 01:50 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by workaholic

And if any of these look tacky to you, i am sorry you feel that way.
Then I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree here

Let me ask though; what is the point of stretching tires, besides getting a wider wheel on the car? Does it offer better proformance? If I'm not mistaken, doesn't it hinder the car's performance? I'm asking beause I don't know for sure; I've only read things.

Maybe it's just my style, but I've never been a fan of something so out of the ordinary, especially when it can be detrimental to the car's functionality.
Old 02-17-06, 03:12 PM
pballer110
Driver School Candidate

Then I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree here

Let me ask though; what is the point of stretching tires, besides getting a wider wheel on the car? Does it offer better proformance? If I'm not mistaken, doesn't it hinder the car's performance? I'm asking beause I don't know for sure; I've only read things.

Maybe it's just my style, but I've never been a fan of something so out of the ordinary, especially when it can be detrimental to the car's functionality.
Stretching tires can be very beneficial to performance, depending on what type of driving your doing. There is less flex on the sidewall of the tire, so of course this equates to better handling, in fact, a lot of performance cars that track their cars run stretched tires.

If your drag racing i wouldn't recommend stretched tires.. but yeah man theres ton of info on the benefits of stretched tires theres even some on the first page of this thread........
Old 02-17-06, 03:22 PM
pballer110
Driver School Candidate

[QUOTE=MongooseGA]Then I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree here QUOTE]

OK, then please show me something that you think looks good.
Old 02-18-06, 12:59 PM
newyorksc
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

It is not so out of the ordinary, literally thousands of people run stretched tires, and it is not detrimental to the car's functionality. Stories of somebody crashing their car merely because they had stretched tires are extremely rare, i've heard some, but not many. You also need to know how to maintain your stretched tires, watch out for potholes and check the tire pressures every other week and they should be fine. A lot of tire shops think that its dangerous because they expect you to be running over potholes at 75mph.

Last edited by newyorksc; 02-18-06 at 01:15 PM.
Old 02-20-06, 10:29 AM
ummagawd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

gawd i love those CCW's..... one of the few 18's that look like 19's

okay continue

PS- whats the offsets on that white soarer with the dish wheels... and any fender mods?
Old 02-20-06, 04:32 PM
LexAnt
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my update since it seems the post i had in here was trying to figure out my offsets, and it has been quite a while since i had the rims on, dunno why i never posted back in this thread. but anyways here they are (pretty sure some saw these already )

Rim Brand/Type: HRE 547R
Rim Size: 19x8.5fr 19x10rr
Rim Offset: dunno didn't ask HRE for them
Tire Size: 245/35/19fr 285/30/19rr
Suspension Setup: Tein CS
Fender Modifications: Vertex Front 15mm fenders, Rear fenders pulled

Quick Reply: ****Official Wheel & Tire Fitment Guide for SC300/SC400****