Browse all: Tires and Wheels Guide
Print Wikipost

****Official Wheel & Tire Fitment Guide for SC300/SC400****

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-06, 11:41 PM
AME_VIP
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Everyone is going to have their own opinion on wheel fitment and I can respect that.

Some people just want something that looks good to the average person on the street. Others are pushing the limits of wheel fitment by using low offset, wide wheels and stretching the tires. Personally, I like the latter because it looks awesome (IMO) and is very challenging to perfect.

Its not for everyone. If you have a lot of power or autoX I don't recommend stretching tires. Some of my friends want big dish but aren't willing to stretch. Its not possible to have a flush wheel without stretching the tires. The tires would rub constantly.

In North America, the trend has been bigger is better ie 26" dubs etc !! In Japan, they push the limits of how wide and push the wheels out instead of up. I love this trend and have used it for inspiration.

Its exciting to see some other people here push the limits like workaholic, roo, mongo, and cleansc4.
The following users liked this post:
ziiiro2011 (12-05-22)
Old 02-14-06, 11:56 AM
MongooseGA
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboTeg
Everyone is going to have their own opinion on wheel fitment and I can respect that.

Some people just want something that looks good to the average person on the street. Others are pushing the limits of wheel fitment by using low offset, wide wheels and stretching the tires. Personally, I like the latter because it looks awesome (IMO) and is very challenging to perfect.

Its not for everyone. If you have a lot of power or autoX I don't recommend stretching tires. Some of my friends want big dish but aren't willing to stretch. Its not possible to have a flush wheel without stretching the tires. The tires would rub constantly.

In North America, the trend has been bigger is better ie 26" dubs etc !! In Japan, they push the limits of how wide and push the wheels out instead of up. I love this trend and have used it for inspiration.

Its exciting to see some other people here push the limits like workaholic, roo, mongo, and cleansc4.
You're right, we all have our own opinions. However, it's getting to the point where the people running the (IMO) tacky looking wheel styles are criticizing those who aren't. That's totally off the wall.

I guarantee that if I was to show a car running what I consider a properly fitting wheel and one running a superlow offset/stretched tire combo to someone not as 'in the know' as you and I, they'd laugh at the latter car. Example: I showed a picture of a very well respected member's car to my mom a few weeks ago. This member's car is known for the 'stylish' low offset and the camber he's running. As someone who wouldn't normally tell the difference between a stock wheel or a [what I consider correct, what others consider slightly conservative] wheel, she thought it was hideous and couldn't figure out why anyone would want to drive a car looking like it did.

It really does remind me of the stereotypical, local cab drivers in Mexico, or the early Maximas that I see around the lower income areas where I live, that run wheels sticking way out past the fender, Jeep style. I'd almost consider it ricey.

Old 02-14-06, 12:00 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA that's funny. But that's a bad comparison to TurboTeg's setup.
Old 02-14-06, 12:04 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

Originally Posted by cherplex
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA that's funny. But that's a bad comparison to TurboTeg's setup.
LOL, I wasn't comparing it to his specifically. Just the style in general.
Old 02-14-06, 01:13 PM
AME_VIP
Lexus Champion

Of course nobody like the wheels sticking out like that ha nice pic
Like I said some people like the flush look, and others don't.
Mod it the way it feels right for you !

So I bet your mom would prefer this:

over this:

Old 02-14-06, 01:32 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

This is getting retarded.

Keep this thread on topic to information about rims please.

Also, Mongoose, nobody is going to hate on your rims if they're flush so it's ok, just chill with that topic.
Old 02-14-06, 03:26 PM
Jc4dint
Driver

Mine looked lowrider before the bodywork too. Everyone had doubts when I first put mine on.

How are you going to do the rear? Just by pulling or is there some other special method? I rolled and pulled mine, but I don't think it was sticking that far out. I still rub on very hard turns and big dips.

Can't wait to see your finished product.

Just test fitting before it goes in for Vertex front fenders, rear pull and paint/re-fitting of the kit.

I have a 15mm spacer as well on the front to clear the JZA80 brakes. Effectively 19x9.5 -13 !

Old 02-14-06, 03:46 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

Of course nobody like the wheels sticking out like that ha nice pic
Like I said some people like the flush look, and others don't.
Mod it the way it feels right for you !
It doesn't really matter what my mom likes, LOL. It was just an example. I'm sure the same thing would apply to most people on the road though. BTW, that was one of the pics I showed here

This is getting retarded.

Keep this thread on topic to information about rims please.

Also, Mongoose, nobody is going to hate on your rims if they're flush so it's ok, just chill with that topic
We are talking about wheel fitment. The different styling opinions are coming out now. We're still being quite civil, and not directly insulting anyone.

Yes, there have been members on the board who have criticized others for 'poorly' fitting wheels.
Old 02-14-06, 06:55 PM
AME_VIP
Lexus Champion

Everyone has different preferences in wheel fitment and thats cool. All is well !

Thanks JC4 it needs 40mm of pull on the rear. Just got back from talking with my body guy in fact to discuss different options. He is kinda old skool. He is paid full time by a mulit millionaire restoring Chargers/Hemi cars etc for his collection! I'm providing him with my fender roller but he prefers to use dolly and hammer to pull out the fender. The front he is going to see about making a flare, but most likely he will use my vertex front fenders.

Its looking a lot more doable with 275/30/19 now on the 19x11.5
some more pics. FINISHED PICS COMING in 10 days or so!

Old 02-14-06, 08:30 PM
roo
Lexus Test Driver

Mongoose....since it keeps coming up, I thought I'd give you a lil more background on the fitment you're so disgusted by...

Firstly, in Japan, it is illegal for the tire to stick out past the fender. Fitting wide wheels that are flush with the fenders and stretching tires have long been a favored way to get around this legal issue. Secondly, performance-wise it makes sense. For time attack/ road race/ autocross vehicles, a wider stance means better handling. Though you're more likely to see more meat and less of a tire stretch on these cars. In rally and drifting, where you need to get the car sideways, stretching the tire makes it easier to break traction and obviously the more contact patch, the more control you have.

Of course, there are the show cars that effectively use stretching, rolled\pulled fenders to maximize wheel size and bling effect. While this is just for looks, it can have amazing results. (even if anyone cannot appriciate them)

Regardless of the car, a nice fitted wheel looks good. While opinions on what is the best looking may vary, nothing is more boring than a generic fitted wheel made to fit a million different cars. While fitments such as turboteg's are extreme, they are planned out and work is put in to them. While they may not be your style, you should try to be open minded enough to at least have some appriciation for what he's doing.
Old 02-14-06, 08:43 PM
roo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MongooseGA
It really does remind me of the stereotypical, local cab drivers in Mexico, or the early Maximas that I see around the lower income areas where I live, that run wheels sticking way out past the fender, Jeep style. I'd almost consider it ricey.
While I'm no fan of the early maximas with tiny, pizza cutter thin wheels, that whole "lower income" part is kinda offensive......

Anyways, I assume you're comparing the fitments to stuff like this:

Not my style either but I can appriciate the car for the work put into it.

Now that, on the otherhand, is daaaayaaaaam sexy!

Last edited by roo; 02-14-06 at 08:54 PM.
Old 02-14-06, 08:51 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by roo

Now that, on the otherhand, is daaaayaaaaam sexy!
^ Weds Kranze Bazreia
Old 02-14-06, 09:16 PM
u1923
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default please help

i'm debating between 2 sets of used Work rims for my car. i'm not going for the perfect flush look (for now). i'm aiming for a smooth ride quality and some visual improvement from the stocker. here are the two sets:

f 17 x 8 +35 / r 17 x 9 +35

or

f 18 x 8 +45 / r 18 x 9 +45

some one please give me an input on these. thanks
Old 02-14-06, 09:36 PM
SWSC400
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by u1923
i'm debating between 2 sets of used Work rims for my car. i'm not going for the perfect flush look (for now). i'm aiming for a smooth ride quality and some visual improvement from the stocker. here are the two sets:

f 17 x 8 +35 / r 17 x 9 +35

or

f 18 x 8 +45 / r 18 x 9 +45

some one please give me an input on these. thanks
I would go with the 17's. They would look a lot more flush and the taller profile will help your ride comfort.
Old 02-14-06, 10:32 PM
CleanCL
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

big ballers round here dumping on dubs..

but FYI

i fitted 93 sc400 with 17x7.5 Moda R6 +45mm offset 235/45/17 tire

mounted, aligned, no problems. tirerack said it wouldn't work. works fine. but could use a bigger tire.

ps dropped on eibach and tokicos.

Quick Reply: ****Official Wheel & Tire Fitment Guide for SC300/SC400****