****Official Wheel & Tire Fitment Guide for SC300/SC400****

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-13, 12:03 PM
chargerfan
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by raine
wait - what does that have to do with tire wear and stretch? just wondering
Tire wear ... nothing at all lol. In regards to stretch, daniel did say achilles doesnt stretch as well as falkens ... and I beg to differ

(No doubt pretty much all falkens stretch well)
Old 01-11-13, 12:18 PM
chargerfan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by KingPhilip
What?! You're confusing me now... Ever since I met ya you always say SD Tires is your man, this is the first time you ever said go to someone you know that work at Discount Tires...

But regarding you stretching on your Subi, is incomparable to SC's. Light weight car vs. heavy weight car. Remember, the more you stretch the lower the weight the tire can handle. I'm not saying Achilles is a bad brand, I'm just saying I wouldn't recommend extreme stretching on them.
Yeah teh discount tires hookup has been out of town w school, so I didn't bother recommending him. Sd tires is decent, but they are careless when it comes to not scratching wheels, using air tools to ruin nice/expensive lugs, and they are slow when they mount and dismount .... if u go through my other guy you'd see a night & day diff

Im guessing at this point none of you have ever experienced or know of a fellow lexus (heavy car) owners that has had fk's bubble on the side wall. I know of a handful of gs owners that shy away from these tires ... those reviews are enough to scare me away. But hey ... theyre still great tires though right guys?! Great tread, great price, and great stretch ... and the guy originally asking is totally focused price and stretch ...

/sarcasm
Old 01-11-13, 01:20 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by chargerfan
Yeah teh discount tires hookup has been out of town w school, so I didn't bother recommending him. Sd tires is decent, but they are careless when it comes to not scratching wheels, using air tools to ruin nice/expensive lugs, and they are slow when they mount and dismount .... if u go through my other guy you'd see a night & day diff
Not defending SD Tires or whatever, it's not like I'm gonna make money out of this discussion or the jobs I did for you, but say it how it is. And since you dragged my name in this conversation, you never said anything about SD Tires being careless or whatever, you even praised them multiple times in the past. Your statement is just confusing me like you're blaming SD Tires for my tire wear when you're the alignment guy?

Im guessing at this point none of you have ever experienced or know of a fellow lexus (heavy car) owners that has had fk's bubble on the side wall. I know of a handful of gs owners that shy away from these tires ... those reviews are enough to scare me away. But hey ... theyre still great tires though right guys?! Great tread, great price, and great stretch ... and the guy originally asking is totally focused price and stretch ...

/sarcasm
My Achilles developed a bubble on the first 3 months of usage. Like anything else, it's manufactured by a machine, so there can be defects, and 90% of the time its the driving habits of the driver that mess it up. It's like that never ending discussion on replica wheels vs. authentic wheels. Bottom line is, if you have low profile tires and you drive 65mph in a 35 and run over a pothole, then you're doing everything wrong - your driving is wrong, your wheel set up is wrong, and if you use replica then there's a tendency it can't perform as good as authentic brands.

Driving cars is supposed to be simple, it's only the drivers that's complicating things. Lol

Last edited by OG Dada; 01-11-13 at 01:30 PM.
Old 01-11-13, 02:43 PM
chargerfan
Lead Lap

Somehow, after reading that post .... I feel like I killed more brain cells than drinking booze. Except this is no where near as enjoyable as booze

I have no clue wth this has to do w/ "jobs" you've done .... I mean really man, how is that relevant? And honestly idgaf about sd tires neither, some visits were pos and some were neg ... how hard is that to follow?

This convo is goin no where, so ill let you guru's get back to doin what you do well at, providing wheel/tire fitment advice
Old 01-11-13, 07:25 PM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Tire wear ... nothing at all lol. In regards to stretch, daniel did say achilles doesnt stretch as well as falkens ... and I beg to differ
I beg to correct - at the shop last month we put identically-sized Achilles and an FK-452 on two identical wheels (10" wide) and there is less clearance on the Achilles due to the sidewall shape. The Achilles stick out more.

/sarcasm
LOL all sarcasm aside, I know a few LS owners with full sound, full bag setup stretched thin on FK's and extra camber (try 7-8 in the rear for fitment) that have had zero problems over the last 7-8 years or so. Another example: my neighbor runs 20" thin FK's on a slammed Sequoia, and he's been commuting from my area (L.A. area) to 1/2-way to your area (Camp Pendleton) 5 days a week for God knows how long now with no issues either.

Then again to be honest, it kind of matches running Achilles on reps.
Old 01-11-13, 07:46 PM
chargerfan
Lead Lap

at the end of the day, they both stretch well ... pending the tech knows what theyre doing. if you give those falkens to some newb, chances are they'll screw something up or cry "i cant stretch these, fml fml". also, both sides are valid on that fk's speak ... some can go 7-8 years w/o issues ... some can bubble up in under 1 year (ymmv, your drivers may vary, conditions may vary, etc etc)

either way, you win ... youre the fitment/tires/wheel master w/ 1350+ posts on cl ... lol. putting this much effort into "stretch talk" is silly ... its kinda like winning in the special olympics man ... we're still both retards at the end of the day.
Old 01-11-13, 07:46 PM
chargerfan
Lead Lap

1 more thing, i think the guy who originally asked about achilles vs falkens will still go w/ the atr sports due to price .... lol!
Old 01-11-13, 10:33 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

I beg to correct - at the shop last month we put identically-sized Achilles and an FK-452 on two identical wheels (10" wide) and there is less clearance on the Achilles due to the sidewall shape. The Achilles stick out more.
I second that. The edge of the Achilles tires is too "boxy" in shape compared to other brands.

Hey! LOL
Old 01-12-13, 07:15 AM
myLEXsc400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

1 more thing, i think the guy who originally asked about achilles vs falkens will still go w/ the atr sports due to price .... lol!
actually, the price difference isn't as big as you'd think. I got a great deal from discounttiredirect.com on my current FK's, so im sure i can get the same deal on my next set. Plus, I'd rather pay a little more for a product that im familiar and happy with, and the fact a few people on here swear by them just helps the case
Old 01-12-13, 04:33 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Do yourself a favor and don't go to your local Discount Tire Center or some other place, and skip the "garage with lasers" stuff just to save some cash:

It wasn't really a matter of saving some cash in my situation, 'cause unlike other people, I'm willing to pay money for quality services that I ask for or I need. But yeah, I've learned my lesson, will be driving 2 hours to Cyrus on Tuesday for an alignment after getting new tires and pulling my fenders some more.
Old 01-12-13, 06:44 PM
chargerfan
Lead Lap

good luck daniel, I wish you all the best and hope the alignment comes out well for you on tues

btw I referred a few people to u in regards to control arm bushings for a gs300 and ls400 .... i told them you do quality work and did an awesome job for my sc400. you may get a pm via fb or here soon

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
Old 01-13-13, 02:03 AM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

at the end of the day, they both stretch well ... pending the tech knows what theyre doing. if you give those falkens to some newb, chances are they'll screw something up or cry "i cant stretch these, fml fml".
LOL so you're saying some "techs" can stretch the SAME SIZE TIRE on the SAME SIZE WHEEL differently? ROFL seriously dude?

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter who mounts the tire. If it's the same tire size on the same size wheel FK's have more clearance than Achilles.

=====

Hey! LOL

=====

It wasn't really a matter of saving some cash in my situation, 'cause unlike other people, I'm willing to pay money for quality services that I ask for or I need
If you paid money for quality tires and a quality alignment from Cyrus like I suggested awhile back then you wouldn't have texted me earlier looking for a deal on tires because your Achilles tires are done
Old 01-13-13, 10:28 AM
chargerfan
Lead Lap

not what i said but .... close enough lol. u win raine .... u win.

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
Old 01-13-13, 09:38 PM
SCott300
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I need tire suggestions for my 19x11+ 25's. Will BF Goodrich G-Force T/A 265/30/19's work? My car is lowered with very little negative camber and the fenders are rolled flat. If you have better suggestions let me hear them thank you.
Btw, My car makes just shy of 500whp, so I need a pretty good tire
Old 01-13-13, 10:47 PM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SCott300
I need tire suggestions for my 19x11+ 25's. Will BF Goodrich G-Force T/A 265/30/19's work? My car is lowered with very little negative camber and the fenders are rolled flat. If you have better suggestions let me hear them thank you.
Btw, My car makes just shy of 500whp, so I need a pretty good tire
how low is "lowered"? flush? finger gap? tucked? Are you on coilovers or springs? do you care about stretch, or want all meat? What are you running up front? define "pretty good tire"? you plan on burning out all day? stoplight launching?

Quick Reply: ****Official Wheel & Tire Fitment Guide for SC300/SC400****