SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

What it will REALLY cost you to buy a used SC....

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-11, 04:40 PM
BigBang
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got mine for 500... but i had to buy an engine and i also did the work myself. total came out to be around 2-3 something. for a person that doesn't do the work you're looking around 8k for everything depending on the condition.
Old 07-31-11, 05:17 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Wow this thread was started by O.L.T. back in '97! And still people make the same mistakes! And I'm guilty of it, although I didn't have the 5G's back then and didn't even have a worth 5G's SC to pick from! So, I guess me and my MIP '95 SC are really destined to be! Anyways, I'm enjoying fixing her, cause I do it myself and learn alot of things at the same time... I guess this really applies to people who really do spend that $7500 for parts and labor and not the people who spend $2500 for the parts and do their own labor! And another funny thing I was really quoted $7500 for parts and labor by Lexus Escondido here in SD around the same price O.L.T. mentioned! I look up to you sir! You really do know your stuff!
Old 07-31-11, 06:23 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by kingphilip
Wow this thread was started by O.L.T. back in '97!
Might want to double check that.
Old 07-31-11, 10:58 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Oh, typo, '07 I mean... What's with my fingers always making a typo...
Old 08-01-11, 02:57 AM
CloudNine7
Rookie

Well for those that take their SCs to mechanics, how much would you say you average a year on spending? I "definitely" can't do the work myself.... that would be dangerous to say the least. haha
Old 08-01-11, 05:02 AM
iridebmx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

a few things have happened to my car, the ecu went bad and i was a tard and spent money bringing it to shops (around $6-700 having them try to find something else that was wrong but in the end just took it to the dealer like i should of the first time and got a real answer saying the ecu was bad) well spent another $300 getting it rebuilt.

the window regulator was messed up on the passenger side, $110.... cant believe i didnt try the windows when i bought the car....

own the car for almost a year than the motor blew up hahaha yes its the worst of all things to happen but i have experience working on cars. i bought a new engine but didn't have time to put it in. I am currently in germany for a year or so.... when i get back that newer 1uz will get a overhaul and be put into my car. i have a 94 sc400 with 205,000 miles and for the age and miles i'd say it is in 7 out of 10 condition. could use some new paint on the rear bumper and the hood has a flat spot other wise good, i would like some better door panels and corbeau reclining seats but those things arent bad i can handle the few little rips and somewhat dark 'stains'.... and i've fixed all the interior lights i must be honest thats my favorite part! the blue needles and climate control after not having them for the time i've had the car they make me so happy haha the small things trust me with these cars mean a lot. yea i got coilovers, wheels and brakes but those needles! mmm mm good everytime i looked at them
Old 08-01-11, 05:18 AM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Old thread but OLT spoke truth!
Old 08-01-11, 11:31 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 192 Likes on 136 Posts

2 options in the first post not one of them gave a mileage reading?

Amyways ideally of course the best car to buy is a clean, low mileage , stock sc.

But this is far from realistic as there is only so few of these clean sc's left and most people dont have the money up front to pay the premium.

Some people are planning to swap the engine and mod the car anyways, so no point to buy a clean low mileage stock car.

Anyways people with money will always look down at others that dont, if everyone had money of course no one would buy a cheap sc they would buy the cleanest one possible.

Sort of a ridiculous thread imo, seems to be knocking the people who arent fortunate enough to get a car as 'nice as yours'.
Old 08-01-11, 11:43 AM
Fitment Factory
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great to know! Thank you for the info
Old 08-01-11, 11:46 AM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
2 options in the first post not one of them gave a mileage reading?

Amyways ideally of course the best car to buy is a clean, low mileage , stock sc.

But this is far from realistic as there is only so few of these clean sc's left and most people dont have the money up front to pay the premium.

Some people are planning to swap the engine and mod the car anyways, so no point to buy a clean low mileage stock car.

Anyways people with money will always look down at others that dont, if everyone had money of course no one would buy a cheap sc they would buy the cleanest one possible.

Sort of a ridiculous thread imo, seems to be knocking the people who arent fortunate enough to get a car as 'nice as yours'.
Well that's another way to look at it. Like I said when I bought mine, I didn't have a choice of getting the $5800 SC that OLT was talking about(I mean, a nice clean SC) and on top of that I didn't have the money to blow during that time. (Then someone would say, why are you gonna buy a Lexus when you can't afford it...)
Old 08-01-11, 12:10 PM
BigBang
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kingphilip
(Then someone would say, why are you gonna buy a Lexus when you can't afford it...)
That person deserves a slap!
Old 08-01-11, 12:21 PM
cmh
Lexus Test Driver

i think the OP has nothing to do with who has more money... 90% of what was said was fact. buying the car with more problems forces you to spend more money therefore if he was suggesting to someone to spend more money he would have said go with the crappy car and fix it up.

It sounds like he is trying to help out those that dont have much money make a wiser decision, he is saying save up ur money, dont get ripped off and buy one in better condition. i think thats a great message. People that have "more" money say, i want this specific car at any cost, i dont care whats wrong with it, they get it and spend there time & money fixing it.
Old 08-01-11, 12:46 PM
JPKeiichi
Driver

very informative! thank you
Old 08-01-11, 01:09 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 192 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by cmh
i think the OP has nothing to do with who has more money... 90% of what was said was fact. buying the car with more problems forces you to spend more money therefore if he was suggesting to someone to spend more money he would have said go with the crappy car and fix it up.

It sounds like he is trying to help out those that dont have much money make a wiser decision, he is saying save up ur money, dont get ripped off and buy one in better condition. i think thats a great message. People that have "more" money say, i want this specific car at any cost, i dont care whats wrong with it, they get it and spend there time & money fixing it.
yes possibly your right , but at the end of the day no one really wants to buy a car with more problems.

But if that is the case then yes i am always an advocate of just trying to save a little more money or wait till a better car comes around.

Because as we all know repair costs can add up very quick for these cars, you have to purchase wisely.
The following users liked this post:
tiguy99 (10-04-19)
Old 08-05-11, 10:31 PM
CloudNine7
Rookie

I just checked out "True Cost to Own" at www.edmunds.com/tco.html I wasn't able to check for an SC300/400 but did the check on a 2006 Lexus SC 430.

According to this, maintenance would average $1363 a year, and repairs would average $635 a year. Does this sound about right to current SC owners? ...at least for those of you that take your cars in for repairs? Are there even many of you like that here? haha You are all a talented group.

Quick Reply: What it will REALLY cost you to buy a used SC....