SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

92 sc300 or 90 nissan 300zx??? HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-01, 05:45 PM
Silver00Spike
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 92 sc300 or 90 nissan 300zx??? HELP!!!

92 LEXS SC 300 116293 miles, slightly damaged side(can be straightened out) and passenger glass missing. automatic and looks like no extras (nak, heat seat, roof)

OR

90 NISS 300ZX 95968 miles, no damage. leather.

theses 2 are gonna be at a salvage auction tomorrow, the nissan is prolly gonna be much cheaper. The nissan is selling first, they are both on approval. Maybe ill have time to see if I won the nissan before the lex sells, that is if Im winner of the nissan. WHICH WOULD YOU PICK?
Old 12-06-01, 06:05 PM
CPerez100
Lexus Test Driver

Man ! I would go for LEXUS .... I know that it has higher mileage but its worth it. Too bad you can't get the VIN# so I can give you the history of the car... can you?
Old 12-07-01, 03:20 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Lightbulb

I'll go for the ZX... I owned ZX before 2+2 and a TT ZX... The cars are splendid. The ZX is a true sports car without exceptions! A n/a ZX can be modded quickly if so desired... ex. headers, filter, exhaust/muffs, center force clutch, ecu upgrade etc.. Even stock it just fine...

Why get the SC then have to spend a couple thousand into it just to get it fixed(the extra $$$ can mod the ZX)? Plus in the SC3 you'll have to spend a few even more $$$ to make it handle and faster... It is a much slower car that does not handle as well...

It depends on what you want. A true sports car or a lux sport coupe...

I know this is a Lex forum, but I'll get the ZX out of the choices and condition of the cars you have in front of us. JMO

Good Luck,

The Ikon

Last edited by The Ikon; 12-07-01 at 03:23 AM.
Old 12-07-01, 06:38 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

If you going to get the SC300, how much are you willing to pay?
With the condition described, I'll say $4000.00 max and spend another $4k to fix it up. $8000 for a 92 SC300 126K miles with no options. NO THANK YOU
Old 12-07-01, 08:37 AM
CPerez100
Lexus Test Driver

You see 300ZX everywhere.. . just look around you.

If you want brand name, luxury, style and all the girls go :eek: get a Lexus

I like more the interior of a SC rather than a 300zx....
Old 12-07-01, 09:18 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think the SC300 or the 300zx have much on the other as far as interiors go

Although I don't think ZXs are as fast as they are cracked up to be... as far as N/As go anyway...

I beat an auto ZX 2seater N/A quite easily in my SC300 5-speed...
From my observations of ZX's losing quite bad to 5-speed Maximas, I don't think the 5-speed Zs would stand much of a chance either

If its a TTZ, I'd go for it if its a 5-speed...

otherwise I'd just go for the Z, the Lexus has damage on it; and you definitely don't want a damaged car to have to dump money into fixing...

especially when the Z's chassis is better off from the start for handling, etc

Z is also A LOT, and I do mean A LOT more fun to drive... more tossable and pliable in its road manners... SC is fun to drive too, but it feels like a big boat in comparison to a Jet Ski
Old 12-07-01, 09:32 AM
TheKevin
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in the same situation too. except im looking between a '92 SC400 vs. a '91 300ZX TT.

plus, i dont plan to fix either one of them up. maybe just the usual exhaust but thats all.
Old 12-07-01, 10:14 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Bean
I don't think the SC300 or the 300zx have much on the other as far as interiors go

Although I don't think ZXs are as fast as they are cracked up to be... as far as N/As go anyway...

I beat an auto ZX 2seater N/A quite easily in my SC300 5-speed...
From my observations of ZX's losing quite bad to 5-speed Maximas, I don't think the 5-speed Zs would stand much of a chance either

If its a TTZ, I'd go for it if its a 5-speed...

otherwise I'd just go for the Z, the Lexus has damage on it; and you definitely don't want a damaged car to have to dump money into fixing...

especially when the Z's chassis is better off from the start for handling, etc

Z is also A LOT, and I do mean A LOT more fun to drive... more tossable and pliable in its road manners... SC is fun to drive too, but it feels like a big boat in comparison to a Jet Ski
I disagree about the n/a ZX... A n/a 5 speed is faster than a SC3 and certainly faster than a Maxima 5 spd. It has constantly been faster in the 1/4 et compared to the Lex of .4 - .6 et faster and .6 - .8 over the Max.. From my experiences, not saying that a good SC3 driver can not beat an automatic Z(the auto Z is still faster on paper)... But we should be comparing manual to manual in the same class... The motor trend 94' article compared the ZX 2+2, SC3, Supra n/a, and M3 remember the SC3 was the slowest of them all... A Z has a better power train in term of the V6. Nissan has won award after award on it's V6 engine... year after year.. Nissan is known for the best V6 engine period... There is no disputing that....

In M/T August 93' the times for the cars are as followed.. The ZX n/a is 14.8 ZX TT automatic is 14.1, SC3 is 15.6, SC4 is 15.0, Maxima SE 5 spd is 15.8, Supra is 14.7, Supra TT is 13.5Plus with a simple header from Stillen the Z get 22 rwhp plus muffs/exhaust and filter another 12rwhp thats 34 rwhp for less than $1K... want to add more get the JWT ecu or AFC and a clutch.. the 1/4 times are 14.2 for a ZX n/a everyday I know because it was my car... The TT ran low 13s with it few mods too...

***Bean we agree on the handling and the fun factor of the ZX compared to a SC3 or 400... The 300ZX was named all years it was produce 90' - 96' as a 10 best All Star, Best Bet, etc.. No other sports car achieved that honor... NO other sports car...

I am a big Z fan based on my dealings with them... To be honest my 89' Conquest Tsi was more fun to drive than any Lexus I've every driven... It truly depends on what you want out of your car...

But slow does not make a car the worst car... LEXUS NEVER MARKETED the SC as a sports car it was/is not supposed to be a race car!!! The M/T article said it should not be compared in this league of cars because it was to posh of an automobile... The sooner we understand we have some very, very, very nice yet, slow *** maybe a lil' quick luxury sports coupes the better we are.... It is sad to keep comparing our older technology to todays faster cars... Even though our cars are still made better than most and will last longer than them too..

*** Papa, this also depends on what your mission is with your car... ZX for true sports prowess and the SC for luxo sports coupe... What is your desire.... The SC4 is/was better for me now with the lower maintenance, room, etc... The ZX TT is a horse in either form 5spd 13.9 or auto 14.1... It is small and higher to keep, but it was worth it to me... It depends on your life style...

*** As CPerez said, the Lexus has more ooopmh in the panache department... The exterior and interior of the Lexus has won many awards... But a 300ZX in the 90's got as much or more respect than most Lexus from the girls I KNOW... In the ZX last year of production the ZX cost $42K, ZX TTcost $48K loaded and the SC3 was $49K loaded, SC4 was $61K loaded it depends how you want to roll ... The Lexus have the big boy appeal for a great used car price... Both the Z and the SC still look great after all these years in production so the looks is simply up to the owner... Neither car truly looks outdated after 12 years for the Z and 10 for the SC... this is simply astonishing to even say that!

I know, I got carried away but these are 2 of my favorite cars the ZX and the SC...

Last edited by The Ikon; 12-07-01 at 10:54 AM.
Old 12-07-01, 10:54 AM
TheKevin
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

alright cool im going to check out both this weekend. my friend has a '92 SC400 and i like it a lot so far.
Old 12-07-01, 10:56 AM
Silver00Spike
Pole Position

well, i went to the auction today. First the nissan. This car has been fixed from a front and back damage. The guy did a sloppy job. The interior looked like *****, parts falling off and stuff,no radio. Crappy condition.

Lex-on approval(reserver price) and sold by dealer. The dealer who took me said that this car definately has mechanical problems if a dealer is selling it. The front fogs were melted, the interior steats had a rip, and cigarette burns. very dirty inside. Outside passenger window and slight kicked in dent on the side. This could all be fixed up for about 500 bucks.

I didnt bid on either cars, cause they were in crap condition. The lex sold about for $3000, dunno if it passed the reserve price, and it stalled on the way out.

oh, and a front damaged (~$3k in repairs needed) 2000 infinity g20 sold fro a frikin $4000.

On monday im going to a NORMAL car auction, where there are going to be 100 extra bank repo's. I'll try for a lex there.
Old 12-07-01, 01:21 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

glad you didn't waste your money

Although Ikon, I have to disagree with the N/A Z numbers

I've driven a number of N/A Zs are they are VERY slow... 5-speed an auto alike... I also have to disagree with the SC3's time of 15.6... I think Motortrend drove one to a 14.9 @ 94mph... I know for a fact I'm faster than 15.6 I'm going to the track this weekend so I'll post my times when I get back

I've never seen better than a 15.2 or 15.3 on paper or in videos or at the track, etc from a 5-speed N/A Z

N/A Zs make about 160rwhp bone stock... and they are rated at the same hp level as a SC3... and SC3s make about 175rwhp when in good tune...

same goes for 5-speed ZTTs... rated at 300bhp, but make 220-230rwhp... i've seen plenty of dyno sheets... Nissan overrated big time... still a badass car with lots of potential tho

papanature, there's a company in Miami called DSP... they sell a T28 hybrid turbo that has T3 compressor wheels in it, with the manifolds, and 3" downpiipes for $2000 total... thats a HELL of a deal...
coupled with street cams, tuning, and all the other boltons like bigger intercoolers, and 23psi on pump gas, its good for 600rwhp
Old 12-07-01, 06:06 PM
SC30092
Driver School Candidate

also the visibility in the Z isn't nearly as good as in the SC because of the angle of the back window , more potential for the stereo in the SC too in my opinion.
Old 12-08-01, 08:20 AM
the_ez_rhino
Lead Lap

I agree wit bean, although I have only driven 1 300 zx n/a, it was sluggish as hell. It was nearly (although not) as fast as my dads es300, and that things a turtle.

Jason
Old 12-08-01, 09:37 AM
Silver00Spike
Pole Position

turtle like a fox!!
Old 12-08-01, 11:04 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by the_ez_rhino
I agree wit bean, although I have only driven 1 300 zx n/a, it was sluggish as hell. It was nearly (although not) as fast as my dads es300, and that things a turtle.

Jason
Oh my GOD!!! That is the most ridiculous thing I've read/heard on this forum in a long time... That is a joke right? Are you talking about a Nissan 300ZX 90 - 96' model? Hell a 84' - 89' ZX will beat the crap out of an ES3.... It will be an insult to the ZX to even race a ES3.

***Bean in that comparison test in Motor Trend remember that the 300ZX time WERE FASTER than our beloved SC3... It WAS in the high 14's as I stated... Not an automatic ZX convertible IS at 15.4 in the 1/4 mile. I agree with you on the wide 1/4 spread for the SC3. I have seen lower times than 15.8, but the norm is pretty consistent with the 15.4 - 15.8 times... from what I've seen, read etc... We do not have sports cars and that's okay...

As for the ZX... Here is some more sources for times in the 14's... Motor Trend July 94', Sept. 93', December 91'... Car and Driver Ten Best Issue of 94(says ths n/a Z is ONLY .5 slower in the quarter than the TT), 91 Caar and Driver Buyers Guide..... Turbo Magazine 95' edition had the stock TT ZX at 13.89 et in the 1/4... Just pick up ANY 96' and older mag and look at the posted times or articles for the ZX times... I would love for you to race a good condition ZX and post the results... Even a modded SC3 would lose to a good oem ZX. I know I had two ZX remember... I beat plenty of GS4 with my TT ZX. My modded n/a ZX raced my sister's(with my brother in law driving) GS4, it COULD NOT beat it either!!! A fact is a fact...

***The ZX has the same HP as the SC3 true, BUT the ZX weighs ONLY 3200 LBS about 300 less than the SC3!!! and the TT weighs ONLY 3487 LBS!!!

As for the RWHP of a stock ZX it will get more than 160 are you kidding. If it only has 160 and is faster than the SC3 what gives?
If I'm remembering correctly me rwhp stock was 179.0 for my 5spd n/a ZX.. I will dig thru and find those old dyno before my mods and after.. I had about 4 dyno sheets of the ZX and 2 of the TT..

Q: If the Z is overrated big time. Why did it recieve the highest honors 6 years in a row for a sports car, in all the magazines? The Supra did not do that and it was faster...

Now back to this ES3 being as fast as a 300ZX :eek: !!! WOW!!! What is this world coming to...

***Bean is that $2000 kit for any car or is it just a SC3 kit? That is a great deal!!!

The Ikon

Quick Reply: 92 sc300 or 90 nissan 300zx??? HELP!!!