SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

I drove the SC430 (actually I drove 6 of them)

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-01, 11:53 AM
SmartTrac
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

As an automotive journalist, I'm often asked to evaluate new models, sometimes before they hit the showrooms. Well, I've finally got my chance to drive the SC430 during a press gathering and I have to say that it exceeded all of my expectations.

This car is absolutely silent with the top up with no wind noise right up to 100 mph. With the top down, you could carry on a normal conversation, even at 70 mph. There was no wind buffeting in the cockpit, only a smooth flow of well-controlled air.

I drove the SC430 with and without the Run-Flat tire option and noticed a slightly harsher ride with them when hitting expansion joints and rough pavement, but the extra room in the trunk is worth the slight discomfort.

This car attracted attention like few cars that I have driven. In a golf course parking lot, I created a golf cart traffic jam while golfers shouted out questions about the car.
I pulled up to a high school crosswalk as school was letting out and herd the unmistakable sound of a dozen tongues simultaneously hitting the ground. So, I decided, while I was stopped, to put the top up at which time I heard another dozen of the more jaded tongues drop.

I will have a complete review of this car shortly on my website www.familycar.com

Attached Thumbnails I drove the SC430 (actually I drove 6 of them)-leftfront2.jpg  
Old 03-06-01, 01:09 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Great info SmartTrac, keep the posts comming. Where you privy to the option list? If so, is the air suspension to be an option?

Also, I assume you meant the carl you drove HAD the runflat option and hence stiffer sidewalls with the noisier operation, correct?

How was transient response? Crisp, mushy? Power?
Old 03-06-01, 02:13 PM
SmartTrac
Driver School Candidate

There are three options on the option list:

- Lexus Navigation System (DVD Based) $2,000
- Run-Flat Tires $400
- Rear Spoiler $440

Since they are using the GS suspension, Air suspension is not available.

I drove cars with both the standard tires and the Run-Flat option and found that the Run-Flats gave a harsher ride over expansion joints and potholes. Their big advantage is that they eliminate the spare tire, which takes up the last remaining trunk space when the top is down.

Transient response was quite good, not as crisp as a BMW but at least as good as a GS400 if not better.

Both tire options are P245/40R18 Z-speed. 0 to 60 was 5.9 seconds and very quiet. Top speed is capped at 156 mph.

Watch for my complete review in a couple of weeks at www.familycar.com
Attached Thumbnails I drove the SC430 (actually I drove 6 of them)-trunkwspare.jpg  
Old 03-07-01, 10:26 AM
Harrier
Pole Position

Could you take a picture of the trunk space with the top up please? Also, does the roof fill up the trunk space from top to bottom in the area that it occupies, i.e. would you be able to fit, say...an emergency toolkit in the little space under the folded roof?

Do you know when the new SC should be showing up in dealer's showrooms?

Thanks for your informative posts; your reviews have always been a joy to read.
Old 03-07-01, 11:03 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Interesting that the top speed is 156mph. Was that in the literature? The new LS430 is only 130mph limited. All the other cars from 98 on were 150mph limited. My 96 LS400 is non limited at 156mph. Just curious. I would guess the new SC (and GS and LS) could approach 170mph without a speed limiter.
Old 03-07-01, 08:41 PM
SmartTrac
Driver School Candidate

Smile A Lexus owner's idea of heaven

Here is a look at what heaven is like for a Lexus fan. All the cars had keys in them.

The top speed of 156 is a Lexus specification. The speed limiters are to keep the car in the safe range of the tires that come from the factory. The tires on the SC430 are all Z rated.

Attached Thumbnails I drove the SC430 (actually I drove 6 of them)-overhead3.jpg  
Old 03-07-01, 08:50 PM
SmartTrac
Driver School Candidate

Here is a view of the trunk with the top up. There is a screen that must be pulled out and latched before the top can be put down. the screen is to insure that the top will have no obstructions when it is stored. If the screen is not positioned correctly, the top will not operate. The trunk, in typical Lexus fashion is equipped with a tool kit and a first-aid kit.
Attached Thumbnails I drove the SC430 (actually I drove 6 of them)-trunktopup.jpg  
Old 03-07-01, 08:54 PM
SmartTrac
Driver School Candidate

Here is a picture of the trunk of an SC430 with run-flat tires and no spare. Note the screen under the roof panel.
Attached Thumbnails I drove the SC430 (actually I drove 6 of them)-trunkrunflat.jpg  
Old 03-10-01, 09:10 PM
Harrier
Pole Position

Charles,

Thanks for the pictures; your explanation on the screen was very clear to me.

The only thing that I don't like about the new SC is the wheels. On the other hand, that car has the nicest interior ever to grace the face of this Earth.
Old 03-10-01, 11:47 PM
SmartTrac
Driver School Candidate

Smile Re: The only thing that I don't like about the new SC is the wheels.

That's why god gave us Tire Rack.

Here is a picture of the rear uh... seat.
Attached Thumbnails I drove the SC430 (actually I drove 6 of them)-rearseat.jpg  
Old 03-12-01, 06:02 AM
DevilDog
Lead Lap

Default FYI when changing wheels...

Because of the new Tire Pressure System, when changing wheels you must remove the tire pressure sensors mounted to the rims and remount them to the new rims. If you don't the tire pressure light will stay on continuosely. They are coded to the car just like an immobilzer key.
Old 03-12-01, 03:41 PM
SmartTrac
Driver School Candidate

Lightbulb Tire Pressure Sensors

Actually, the tire pressure sensors are part of the tire valve and should be easy to move from wheel to wheel.

The sensors are color coded for the corner of the car thay are on and send their signal to a receiver mounted next to each wheel.

The close proximity of the sensor and receiver is to eliminate any crosstalk and keep the system from reading the tire pressure of the Lexus parked next to yours.

The cross section of the tire in the picture is a Run-Flat tire although the tire pressure warning system is standard with the normal tires as well.
Attached Thumbnails I drove the SC430 (actually I drove 6 of them)-tirepressuresensor.jpg  
Old 03-12-01, 08:50 PM
DevilDog
Lead Lap

Default Re: Tire Pressure Sensors

Originally posted by SmartTrac
Actually, the tire pressure sensors are part of the tire valve and should be easy to move from wheel to wheel...

If you think these are easy to remove, you obviousely have never dismounted a run flat tire with a tire pressure sensor on it!

Actually their are four different color codes, red, white, blue, and gold. Must have all four colors on car.
Old 03-12-01, 09:27 PM
SmartTrac
Driver School Candidate

Question

I have dismounted many tires in my day but not one of these. I based my statement on the mock-up that you see in the picture. It appears as though you can simply unscrew the detachable valve-stem and have the sensor come right out. Obviously, when breaking the bead and dismounting the tire, you need to be mindful of the position of the stem so that you don't damage it.

You sound as though you have hands-on experience. Where have you found the problem with removing and replacing these sensors?
Old 03-14-01, 01:54 PM
pops
Driver School Candidate

These tires are a pain in the, well you know. the sensors have to be dropped down in the wheel before you bust the bead.the run flats are not repairable NO PLUGS. Hey devildog you sound like you work for a dealer? well i'm sure there a few of us on this site.The 430 is a great ride

Last edited by pops; 03-14-01 at 02:04 PM.

Quick Reply: I drove the SC430 (actually I drove 6 of them)